Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I know
they need evidence before arriving at a much earlier date, but
who's to say it's not plausible to have occurred hundreds of thousands
years ago ? The lack of archeological site evidence doesn't mean the
migration did not occur earlier.
They are still trying to figure this out.
New deglaciation data opens door for earlier First Americans migration
Well there are couple of problems, the main one being existing DNA data dating human migration. What that data tells us is the modern humans did not reach Asia until some 55-40 thousand years ago so it isn't plausible that modern humans could have reached the Americas hundreds of thousands of years ago. Wether or not some other humanoid species populated the what is now the American continents is a totally different story but even then I have my doubts because the archeological record for primates in North America dates back 55 million years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,645 times
to the people saying kenwick man is white FALSE they did a dna test on him and he ended up having Ainu and Polynesian in him not a single trace of European.......Dna never lies....

Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,188 times
What about everything we hear about ancient 9 foot tall remains being dug up all over the Americas? Or is this some kind of massive hoax? I have never looked into it.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Look up Yakutia, the coldest part of Siberia and tell me there is no link. Even more fun check YouTube for some of Moon Girls Yakut music

Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
I noticed that too while living in Japan and often thought a connection between them and Japanese people. Both worship the Sun, look similar, love of the land.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Whatever. Just tired of asinine statements, like "well they are not native americans since there were none..." Our tribe has its own culture and apparently, some folks just think we don't exist.

Any educated person? Well well, puff puff, snooty aren't we? Thanks for the update.

Well, this uneducated person understands nomadic peoples move en masse, with a lot of smaller migrations and who knows, even individual movements hugging the coastlines.

We've always been told we look Phillipino, and on a trip to the Hawaiin islands, I had natives ask me if I was an islander.

Another interesting foot print to follow is a linguistic study. I have often wondered how the languages of the Americas compare with any of the languages across the asian land.

While I chew on that, take a bite of this. No one knows. People guess, then argue back and forth until the next theory comes along.

I think Man is an explorer by nature and I don't know why you would use a theory to say "native americans" don't exist, because so and so were here first, or they came from asia.

Just follow your thoughts and next thing you will sound like Obama's ex-preacher. By your logic, albeit tongue in cheek, there were no native americans because they came from somewhere else, then there are no asians, because THEY came from somewhere else, and there are no europeans because blah blah...and so on and so on.

Whatever. Culturally speaking, we have our Origin Legends and that is our collective identity. You can gather all the DNA evidence you want, but we have a tribe which we belong to and that is cool.

Most modern Americans have such a mixture of european ties, they no longer follow any of their traditions. Which I think is sad. I love cultural anthropology, and any and all cultures are interesting to me.

Even Indians with chips on their shoulders might teach you something!
Nothing like getting the discussion off to a rip-roaring start!

Last I heard, Kennewick's appearance had been revised. They're not saying he's European any more, at least some of the anthros aren't. Somebody got carried away in the beginning, but I think they're now saying he's some other type, like Austronesian, or something. I forget.

RE: linguistic connections w/Asia: the Athabaskan languages have been connected to Ket, a tribe now located in central Siberia along the Yenisei River. I've read the paper analyzing the grammar and vocab (having studied Navajo/Dine, myself), and I have to say, it's pretty impressive. The Kets now have participated in some gatherings in Alaska, invited by Athabaskan speakers, and a personal connection has been established. (Google around to find articles on that.)

The Kets are believed to be one of the most ancient of Siberia's peoples, having been displaced from their original homeland in the Altai Mountains (southern Siberia) by later tribes moving in on their territory. They're the last surviving tribe of the Yeniseian language group. They're a hunting and fishing tribe.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Scientists still seem stuck on the idea that the migration occurred
only 15,000 years ago,
which doesn't make sense to me. I know
they need evidence before arriving at a much earlier date, but
who's to say it's not plausible to have occurred hundreds of thousands
years ago ? The lack of archeological site evidence doesn't mean the
migration did not occur earlier.
They are still trying to figure this out.
New deglaciation data opens door for earlier First Americans migration
This is changing, though. A big reason why they were stuck on the 15000 years ago timeline is that very few people ever dug below the Clovis line, to get back earlier in time. They'd stop when the stuff they found dated 15,000 years; they assumed there was nothing to find below that line. A few mavericks, like Lewis B Leakey (from the famous family that discovered pre-human remains in eastern Africa) dared to dig deeper, and said they found remains dating 30,000 years ago and older, but their findings were always cast aside as "inconclusive" for various reasons. But now more researchers are finding older remains, and the truth can't be denied any longer, though there will probably always be holdouts. The oldest that have been found, I think are in Brazil, dating back 45,000 years.

Another reason they were stuck on the 15,000 years ago timeline was that (nearly) everyone bought into the ridiculous "ice-free corridor" theory, which held that there was a moment in time when two ice sheets in north America left an open space for animals and people to migrate from Alaska down to lower North America, moving south between two walls of ice, and that moment occurred approximately 15,000 years ago. Also the "experts" were locked into thinking that an "ice bridge" was needed in order for people and game to move from Asia to North America. They were not thinking like Native people, who can move perfectly well across a water bridge. They can move faster in kayaks than on land, and the sea along the coastline held (still holds) plenty of sea life for food.

So now the migration theory is starting to bust out of the land-bridge paradigm to include all manner of potential marine highways: one hugging the coastlines of north Asia and North AMerica, island-hopping up from Japan along the Kurile Islands to Kamchatka, then across the Aleutians and down the coast to Haida Gwaii, Vancouver Island, and south from there; and other island-hopping highways across the Pacific closer to the Equator.

The old orthodoxies are finally beginning to break up and give way to new ways of thinking (which might not be so new, if Indigenous legends were heeded), and the truth is starting to come out. The picture should become clearer in time.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
yeah but if we can establish that the Native Americans are not native, maybe the historical judgment for that genocide business won't be as severe.
Yeah, wouldn't that be convenient? Genocide is only relative, after all.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Yes, we came from "somewhere else" a long, long time ago. There is evidence that while many nations originated from the Bering land bridge migration, there is also evidence that some came from the Pacific Islands. The Chumash of California, in particular, are thought to have their origins from there. The bottomline is that, yeah, we all came from somewhere, but we were here a long time prior to 1492.
The Chumash are believed to have come down the coast from the north, but after being established in their place in southern CA, they were contacted by Hawaiians who visited that area. The evidence is that their canoe construction methods changed suddenly, and mimic construction of a certain type of boat used in the Hawaiian Islands. And some vocabulary pertaining to boat-building in Chumash is similar to terms used in Hawaiian Islands. This is still disputed by some, though.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:21 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Nothing like getting the discussion off to a rip-roaring start!

Last I heard, Kennewick's appearance had been revised. They're not saying he's European any more, at least some of the anthros aren't. Somebody got carried away in the beginning, but I think they're now saying he's some other type, like Austronesian, or something. I forget.
Marta Lahr has done some excellent physical anthropological work on early American skeletal remains.

Upper Paleolithic populations migrated through eastern Europe to northeastern Asia, including Siberia and from there to the Americas around 14 kyears or so. Being that most out of Africa populations are descended from the Upper Paleolithics, you'll find these early skeletons described variously as Caucasoid, Negroid, Capoid, Australoid and other types of 'oids (just one of the many problems associated with the 'oid system).

But the parent does not take after the children, its the children who inherit their features from the parents. The early American people just represent what an early human stock would look like before they started diverging in the different environments.

14kyears was not the only migration, I believe one of the latest migrations was around 5,000 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History