Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 11:10 PM

813 posts, read 402,848 times

Advertisements

I only read a few pages, but what sticks out to me is this whole thing about whites would feel guilty. Is teaching about events in American history determined by how comfortable whites would be?

During 2021 several states passed laws forbidding schools to teach Critical Race Theory. School libraries have been purged related books. This was done so white children would not feel guilty. Recently, I recalled what I heard that in Germany students are required to learn about the Holocaust beginning in 3rd grade. This includes field trips to historical concentration sites. Third grade would be around 8 years old and obviously a majority of the students would be white. Googling, I couldn't find any articles about German children suffering from guilt because they learned the truth. So I wonder if American white children have moral frailty?

Last edited by Rastafellow; 01-15-2022 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 02:17 AM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post
I only read a few pages, but what sticks out to me is this whole thing about whites would feel guilty. Is teaching about events in American history determined by how comfortable whites would be?

During 2021 several states passed laws forbidding schools to teach Critical Race Theory. School libraries have been purged related books. This was done so white children would not feel guilty. Recently, I recalled what I heard that in Germany students are required to learn about the Holocaust beginning in 3rd grade. This includes field trips to historical concentration sites. Third grade would be around 8 years old and obviously a majority of the students would be white. Googling, I couldn't find any articles about German children suffering from guilt because they learned the truth. So I wonder if American white children have moral frailty?
The problem with your analysis is that many whites, including my ancestors, were in such paradises as Czarist Russia during the slavery era, being near-slaves themselves. Also there was no collective decision on the part of "the whites" to enslave blacks. It was individual business decisions. The Nazi holocaust was the very definition of collective, government activity. Many "whites" were abolitionists and vigorously fought slavery. Should the "conductors" of the "Underground Railroad" share in this guilt fest?

Old 01-16-2022, 06:53 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastafellow View Post

This thread doesn't contain a truth. It contains facts that are found in our history. The truth died with those who lived a long time ago. The only thing we know of it is what we read in a history books written by someone interpreting those facts, that they find; most times for political reasons, not to establish a truth. [example 1619 Project]

Old 01-16-2022, 08:44 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
How accurate? Complete fiction. The country did not begin when the first slaves were brought here. The country began when our forefathers formed a country and wrote a constitution. Move on. Nothing to see here. White people should feel no guilt at all for actions of people of the past. No one alive is a victim of slavery and no one alive has been a slave owner. The entire concept is ridiculous. I am guilt free and I am teaching my children the same thing. Get over it already. What happened was terrible. But I know someone from Africa and he says that the slaves had a chance to be returned to Africa and many stayed because if they were sent back, they would have been enslaved and killed by their fellow black tribes. So, slavery was the better option according to him. Doesn’t make it acceptable. But it took white men to eradicate it. Let’s not forget that. Move on.

Last edited by trusso11783; 01-16-2022 at 09:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History