Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 08:54 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,177,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Maybe you can shake your head hard enough so you can actually refute what I said in response to you and your ridiculous point about the timing of the western allies second front?
modern Russian WWII historians are not able to refute each other...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2021, 08:58 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
in 1945 Soviet troops were a few days from anywhere in Europe. They did not need a bomb, US used bombs to stop Soviets in China in 1945.
It took them until 1945 to get that far, when the decisive battle was 3 years earlier? Do they get to that position without the efforts of the other allies that I outlined? In other words, what effect did British and American bombing and the work in Africa/Mediterranean have? What effect did the THREAT of and eventual actual invasion from the west have on freeing up the East?

It’s easy and incredibly lazy to say the Russians were at the gates…and didn’t need help from that point. But the real question is do they ever get to said gates if the United States and Britain (among many others) weren’t involved? The answer is no. That’s why it’s called the allied victory.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
modern Russian WWII historians are not able to refute each other...
I have no idea what this means in relation to what that poster I quoted originally said and my response to it.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
It took them until 1945 to get that far, when the decisive battle was 3 years earlier? Do they get to that position without the efforts of the other allies that I outlined? In other words, what effect did British and American bombing and the work in Africa/Mediterranean have? What effect did the invasion from the west have on freeing up the East.

It’s easy to say the Russians were at the gates…and didn’t need help from that point. But the real question is do they ever get to said gates if the United States and Britain weren’t involved.
we can only guess, my opinion is they eventually would overcome Germany,
Btw, Soviets bombed Berlin several times in Summer of 1941. https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%91...BE%D0%B4%D1%83 (sorry did not find English version)
Hitler miscalculated.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:14 AM

Bombing Berlin sporadically isn’t the same thing as what British and American bombers did over Germany in the air war. It was daily, systemic and near absolute destruction of major German cities.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Bombing Berlin sporadically isn’t the same thing as what British and American bombers did over Germany in the air war. It was daily, systemic destruction of every city of consequence.
no, i am saying that in 1941 it was symbolic and British and US were in a better position to do that, i am sure that Stalin would have organized massive strikes if needed.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
no, i am saying that in 1941 it was symbolic and British and US were in a better position to do that, i am sure that Stalin would have organized massive strikes if needed.
“If needed” lol.

The question would be, could the Soviet Union have actually gained the air superiority/supremacy that America and Britain created and would he (Stalin) have had the resources, pilots, range, launching points ect to actually ever be in position to do so…

Last edited by Thatsright19; 07-16-2021 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-16-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what this means in relation to what that poster I quoted originally said and my response to it.
it means that there no a 'peer reviewed' history of the event, it makes our discussion more interesting.

Old 07-16-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
“If needed” lol.

The question would be, could the Soviet Union have actually gained the air superiority/supremacy that America and Britain created and they would he have had the resources, pilots, range, launching points ect to actually ever be in position to do so…
they did create good capable aviation... they used massive bombings near operation area to support their troops,
they did not bomb Germany because others did it...

Old 07-16-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
they did create good capable aviation... they used massive bombings near operation area to support their troops,
they did not bomb Germany because others did it...
If the German Air Force didn’t need to be back home battling the Americans and British, what would the strengthened German Air Force in the East do? Are the soviets able to support their advance as easily?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History