Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 05:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times

Advertisements

Mongols, and Timurid. It seems like the nomads always took brutality to newer levels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2022, 07:48 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
MY VOTE: POLITICAL ISLAM
Tears of Jihad (1400 years and counting)
Kafir Deaths (cumulative)
• Christians : 60 million
• Buddhists : 10 million
• Hindus : 80 million
• Africans : 120 million
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Total : 270 million
Source : www.politicalislam.com
(Not to mention the millions captured, enslaved, castrated and abused.)

Body count
“Peaceful” Islam : 270 million (conservative); 700+ million (their boasts)

"Evil" Spanish Inquisition : 3000-5000 over 350 years (14 per year, worst case)

THEIR OWN WORDS
https://web.archive.org/web/20181231...de-in-history/

Muslim historian Firishta [full name Muhammad Qasim Hindu Shah, born in 1560 and died in 1620], the author of the Tarikh-i Firishta and the Gulshan-i Ibrahim, was the first to give an idea to the medieval bloodbath that was India during Muslim rule, when he declared that over 400 million Hindus got slaughtered during Muslim invasion and occupation of India. Survivors got enslaved and castrated. India’s population is said to have been around 600 million at the time of Muslim invasion. By the mid 1500’s the Hindu population was 200 million.

Muslim chroniclers claim a far greater tally of deaths.
COMMUNISM DEATH TALLY
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_ki...munist_regimes
• USSR: 20 million deaths;
• China: 65 million deaths;
• Vietnam: 1 million deaths;
• North Korea: 2 million deaths;
• Cambodia: 2 million deaths;
• Eastern Europe: 1 million deaths;
• Latin America: 150,000 deaths;
• Africa: 1.7 million deaths;
• Afghanistan: 1.5 million deaths;
• the international Communist movement and Communist parties not in power: about 10,000 deaths.
. . .
Approximately 94.36 million deaths in a span of a century.
Impressive! May even exceed Islam’s cumulative total of 270 million - someday.

Old 05-25-2022, 08:43 PM

98 posts, read 62,077 times
The USA.

Yes, others have caused more deaths .... so far, but being brutal is how you get on top. It's just the way of this world.

It's really sad but it's the way the world is.

To the credit of the USA, they have tried to change this ... which cannot be changed.

Take care of yourself and your family.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:50 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Show me a good empire.
I think all were bad, just some worse than that.
No people in antiquity would ever have succeeded in winning an empire had they doubted their licence to slaughter and enslave the vanquished.
Whether the experience of this was ‘bad’ depended on who you were.

To understand them better read this:

https://www.historytoday.com/archive...res-always-bad

Old 05-26-2022, 04:27 AM

278 posts, read 81,598 times
Related:

https://www.vox.com/2015/6/23/883231...ties-600-years

Highest per-capita casualties involved the Thirty Years' War and the Second World War.

For a long timeline, I think it was the Mongol Empire.

Old 05-26-2022, 05:41 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid-Back View Post
The USA.

Yes, others have caused more deaths .... so far, but being brutal is how you get on top. It's just the way of this world.

It's really sad but it's the way the world is.

To the credit of the USA, they have tried to change this ... which cannot be changed.

Take care of yourself and your family.
The USA doesn't have an 'Empire'?

Old 05-26-2022, 06:34 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Not any more.

Back at the formation of the Republican and the emergence of Manifest Destiny, there were some politicians who referred to an American Empire, one that would eventually span the continent.

After the Spanish-American War, the US gained the former Spanish colonies of Puerto Rico and the Philippines. This was in addition to the purchase of Alaska from Russia and the annexation of the Hawaiian Islands.

The US eventually divested itself of nearly all of its Pacific and Spanish holdings in the late 20th Century. Only a few island-based territories in the Pacific Ocean and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in the Caribbean remain.

What the US does have now is a hegemony. It doesn't rule an empire, but it does lease land from other nations for many, many military bases world-wide. It doesn't rule other lands, but it does exert an influence over them, and sometimes that influence can be rather heavy.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:56 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post

Humboldt, a student of Blumenbach, gave the impression that the U.S. is just a front for all the Euro companymen, privatiers, freebooters & pirates from the furthest reaches of the global plantation system.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:34 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Humboldt, a student of Blumenbach, gave the impression that the U.S. is just a front for all the Euro companymen, privatiers, freebooters & pirates from the furthest reaches of the global plantation system.
I'm guessing that you're referring to Alexander von Humboldt, who travelled in the Americas from 1799 to 1804. Back then, his opinion might have been somewhat accurate.

Old 05-26-2022, 04:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
I don't have an answer 'yet'.

But I would like to say that in modern times, the equivalent of raping and pillaging would be company owners and co-workers.

Like whipping co-workers and underlings into high productivity while you go spend half the day at Target or on the golf course.

And I do sometimes think of it in that way.

At least you're not murdering me, and raping my women, stealing all my goods, and using my dead body as fertilizer for your garden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History