Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:53 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times

Advertisements

If the US had a nuke earlier, would D-day have happened? Would we have used it on Germany? Which city(s)? Just wondering if the percieved cultural biases (Japs are "vermin" German's are like us) came into play.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,375,333 times
I don't know if Berlin would have been a target, but I suspect that the manufacturing centers in the Ruhr would have been.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:12 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Oh, we would've nuked the Germans, I've no doubt about it.

I don't think the Germans would've surrendered though until Germany itself was occupied and the German army whipped into submission. For all the bold talk of the Japanese it was actually the Germans who fought until the bitter end, down to the "last ditch" as the saying goes.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:34 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,404,836 times
I'm not as knowledgable on WW2 as most of you, but I do not believe the US would have nuked Germany. The Japanese were not Anglo-Saxons, like us. It would have been like nuking your old German Uncle!!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:23 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I'm not as knowledgable on WW2 as most of you, but I do not believe the US would have nuked Germany. The Japanese were not Anglo-Saxons, like us. It would have been like nuking your old German Uncle!!
The Americans basically "nuked" Dresden with incendiaries...and dropped the equivalent of a nuke in convential explosives on a number of other German areas. Also, the A-bomb did not carry with it the stigma it has today so I believe they'd definitely have dropped the bomb on Germany.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:

I dunno Trudey, we (the Allies) did everything possible to kill Germans including mass firebombings of German cities. And the Brits were ALOT more toughminded about it than we were. Nah, I can't see FDR, the Joint Chiefs and ole Winny not using a weapon that would end the war sooner and save American and British lives.

Plus Churchill would'a been keen on using the bomb and ending the war earlier because it would've put Britian in a better post war situation vs. the Russians; maybe less of Germany and the eastern European nations fall under Russian sway. Churchill was much more interested in the post war situation in Europe than the Americans were.

And Truman, he was rough as a cob, I see no hesitation there.

Regards

Old 07-11-2008, 12:36 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Without a doubt!

Hmmm...Let's work through this:

D-Day: send thousands of Americans, Brits and Canadians running from boats right through landmines and into machine gun fire; Market Garden: Failure to end war early by invading via Holland; Battle of the Bulge- frozen, starving and surrounded by German forces on their final offensive. In other words thousands of our guys dying horribly and Europe receiving ever more destruction for two years while Germany refuses to give up...

or

Drop a couple of nukes and end it in a week.

Gee, hard choice that one.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,404,836 times
Yes, I see your point..Dresden was a population center, not a military site. And there was not the stigma of the " Bomb" that there is today. Times were different. Was there discussion at the time about using the Bomb on Berlin?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times
Quote:
That is why we didn't bomb Europe like we did Japan...twice.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Was there discussion at the time about using the Bomb on Berlin?
I'm not sure, I'm thinking it was a given that it would be used though had it been developed in time to use against the Germans there probably would've been such discussion.

When the bomb was developed there was discussion of whether it would be used and how it would be used against the Japanese. Some of the scientists that were FOR using the bomb against the Germans were against using it against the Japanese, not that anybody really cared what they thought anyway. Oppenheimer was the scientist that the powers in Washington had regard for and he was for using the bomb.

I suggest you read "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes. Sometimes it's technical and hard to read but it's an indispensable book in understanding all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History