Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 07:32 PM

37 posts, read 68,757 times

Advertisements

Real history can only be discussed in a Bible college, or else in a science fiction forum, such as George Orwell "1984" book or Aldous Huxley "Brave New World" book.
Nothing can be discussed in a "for profit", big business, history forum unless the story was first broken in the New York Times or Los Angeles Times or Washington Post, however long ago.
Conflicts of interest inherent in big business do guarantee that little history lies will turn into a big lie will turn into holocaust denial.
Big government judges in USA are so very illiterate nowadays, because of diploma mill, ivy league, fraternity colleges, and two party politics, that they believe a monopoly market is true capitalism.

Small business.
Small government.
Get religious with states' rights.
One nation under GOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Huh?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Somebody's been getting into the Wild Turkey.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:55 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TqmSpcMba View Post
Real history can only be discussed in a Bible college, or else in a science fiction forum, such as George Orwell "1984" book or Aldous Huxley "Brave New World" book.
Nothing can be discussed in a "for profit", big business, history forum unless the story was first broken in the New York Times or Los Angeles Times or Washington Post, however long ago.
Conflicts of interest inherent in big business do guarantee that little history lies will turn into a big lie will turn into holocaust denial.
Big government judges in USA are so very illiterate nowadays, because of diploma mill, ivy league, fraternity colleges, and two party politics, that they believe a monopoly market is true capitalism.

Small business.
Small government.
Get religious with states' rights.
One nation under GOD.

Well, although this is not a "for profit" forum, as we are only discussing things, not publishing our opinions in a book..(at least I don't think we are).
There is a point here...
This has been discussed in a thread "Who Writes History?"
Two people don't always see things and events in the same way. And for older history we do, up to a point, have to rely on what was written at the time..which, depending on who wrote it, can shade the facts.
As has been said "The Victor writes History".. Most people who read alot of history are aware that every event described by Herodotus in the 5th century BCE is not true today. Not because he lied, but because these were the facts as he saw them with the limited knowledge he had at the time. As new discoveries are made.. the facts are updated. We are still investigating the past with all sorts of new tools.. DNA, new testing methods.etc.
That is what is so interesting about history...the entire story will never come to an end like a novel...

Old 12-18-2008, 02:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
I would cite James McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom" as a work which puts lie to charges that something cannot be accurate, comprehensive, intellectual, critically praised by both professional historians and professional book reviewers...and a huge commercial triumph for the author.

I think cpg had the straight of matters here with the Wild Turkey theory.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 AM

Is that what Charles De Gaulle did drink, or was it Ulysses Simpson Grant?
Of course, I do admire Black Jack Pershing, who lost much of his conflict of interest in a fire.

Let me be sarcastic for to agree with you on the Wild Turkey theory.
Of course, a madman such as "Big Lie" Nazi party, monopoly, Furher Adolf Hitler, or Emperor Napoleon, or roman empire Godfather Caesar, could never happen in our day and age.
World War Two was the great war to end all wars.
We will never have to worry about anti trust laws or the Smoot Hawley act again.
ATT broke up same as Standard Oil, at least until Baby Bell Southwestern married Ma Bell in a merger.
Yup, Charles de Gaulle must have been drunk to question the wisdom of the Paris elite who did control the media that only said "nice things" about Nazis, same as all the media of the day did say only "nice things" about King Ahab and Queen Jezebel, or King Herod, or Pontius Pilate.
Two party incumbancy is all a that any nation does need.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Ohhhhhhhkay, yeahhh sure.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I would cite James McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom" as a work which puts lie to charges that something cannot be accurate, comprehensive, intellectual, critically praised by both professional historians and professional book reviewers...and a huge commercial triumph for the author.

The real "Wild Turkey" theory:
Crazy People (1990)
Crazy People" is about an advertising executive who goes schizophrenic and starts writing "honest ... The film could have done without a subplot involving a romance between Dudley Moore and ...
Crazy People (1990)
[quote]

I will try to put James McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom", that popular, mass media, mass market, bestseller on my bookshelf alongside
"An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of The United States" by
Charles A. Beard and Mary Ritter Beard
... weaves his interpretation of the economic history. Throughout his book ...
Amazon.com:
Amazon.com: An Economic Interpretation of the Constitution of The United States: Charles A. Beard: Books

Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 AM

709 posts, read 1,498,462 times
Everyone has a conflict of interest when it comes to history, though in my opinion politicians and governments tend to be more biased than the for-profit media. The solution is to allow unlimited freedom of speech and let the various theories compete with no centrally-enforced orthodoxy. Though nothing can ever be known for certain, this is the environment in which the truth is most likely to prevail.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
History is written by the victor.

And it takes a bloody long time for any other version to come to light
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History