Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:00 PM

39 posts, read 47,636 times

Advertisements

jtur88- The post reads, "International Memorial day program coming this Sunday". That is the title of the post. It means that this program will air around the world. There is not such thing as an International Memorial Day.

The interview with Barnard Nider, (D-Day vet.) will air to a international audiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 03:09 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisfan7 View Post
jtur88- The post reads, "International Memorial day program coming this Sunday". That is the title of the post. It means that this program will air around the world. There is not such thing as an International Memorial Day.

The interview with Barnard Nider, (D-Day vet.) will air to a international audiance.
All programs air around the world. Have you heard of satellites, and cable?

Why do Americans have this pathologically narcissistic fixation that anybody around the world gives a rat's butt about our national holidays? So people in Finland and Nigeria and Malaysia can watch it. Who in Finland cares. Would you plan ahead to watch a Finnish program (in Finnish) about one of their patriotic holidays?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:37 PM

jtur88- I'm afraid that is not quite true. Only networks uplink syndicated radio programming to satellites. Radio stations across the nation download programming from a given networks feed. These stations are paid to carry the programming.

Most programs you hear on radio stations across the nation are either local or syndicated. If local only those in the that area can hear it. Syndicated programs can be picked up across the nation. However the program must keep high rations to remain with it's given network.

The program (Starr Talk) mentioned in the original post is aired on KKNX on the West Coast. It also uses the newer technology, (streaming audio). It streams live around the world on the internet. It has become the #1 classic entertainment program in the world.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
I mean no disrepect. I find it odd that there would be an international observance on a day that commemorates the memory of Union soldiers during the Civil War. I think this observance would be better suited to D-Day, V-E Day, V-J Day, Armed Services Day, or (again, wrong war) even Veteran's Day. I am curious how folks from the Southern states, where Memorial Day is not observed, feel about this?
This link is for you to read up on Memorial Day...YOU really need to...

Memorial Day in the south - Google Search

Old 05-24-2009, 04:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
This link is for you to read up on Memorial Day...YOU really need to...

Memorial Day in the south - Google Search
I have lived in the South, including Texas, and I have researched it considerably. In fact, I used some of those very sources to check dates. What exactly is it that YOU really think I need to read.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I don't know when the southern states started to observe Memorial Day, but they certainly did not observe it in the 1950's. It was a regular school day, and I sat for final exams on Memorial Day.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:38 PM

"Why do Americans have this pathologically narcissistic fixation that anybody around the world gives a rat's butt about our national holidays? So people in Finland and Nigeria and Malaysia can watch it. Who in Finland cares. Would you plan ahead to watch a Finnish program (in Finnish) about one of their patriotic holidays?"
-jtur88
__________________________________________________ _______________
I hate to say it but you misunderstand the point of the post. The program will air overseas as well so that American personnel and others can hear from a man by the name of Barnard Nider who changed the world. His story is incredible and will be a source inspiration.

The program is not "International Memorial Day" as some have stated. It's a broadcast what will be broadcasted International. From what I hear, The word Memorial day will not be mentioned during the interview. It's only about a man who made a difference during WW2. It will air tonight to coincide with Memorial Day.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Ok... Let's all just take a breath, please... No matter the origins of the Day..In this time it has become a day to remember and thank our Service People for their dedication and sacrifice ..Let's take a moment to do so.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks Trudy Rose. That's what it is all about.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:09 PM

Program just concluded. It turned out wonderful. Mr. Nider is a true hero. It was an honor to hear his story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History