Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:02 PM

815 posts, read 1,544,542 times

Advertisements

Once again. There was no Khan the Mongol.
There was Timur Chingizhan (Bogdan TimurChin). The prince of the Siberian Russian. It has against Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,883 times
The current US empire rivals the British Empire in the 19th Century,

Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
I can say the first ever global super power was Spain from the 1500s to the early 1800s other empires like Spain followed such as the British empire like a global empire like Spain but much more bigger. Every other empire before the age of discovery were regional super powers like how the mongols control of Eurasia, hellenistic empire control over the near east and Balkan penninsula. Roman empire control of Europe, near east and north Africa or the Aztec empire control of meson America.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,756,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Spain, of course.
Spain had the largest Empire, that once included the Portuguese empire during the annexation period that lasted 60 years.
The Spanish empire included America (the totality of America, European prowlers and squatters were illegal).
A large part of Africa.
Japan
Goa in India
Philippines
Most of Italy
Holland and Belgium
Germany
Austria
And if it weren't by the bad weather, Perfid Albion.
When did the Spanish Empire ever control Japan? The only foreign power to rule over Japan was the US post WWII. Also, Spain did not control America, it controlled Latin America. Canada and most of the US was never under Spanish influence and was controlled by numerous European Empires by the 1600s.

Also, Spain never controlled the African interior so how can you say they controlled a large part of Africa? I agree that the Spanish Empire was one of the greats, dont get me wrong, but some of your facts are way off.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
The current US empire rivals the British Empire in the 19th Century,
Just where is this mythical "empire" ? Lets see now, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and Guam are US protectorates, that is all I can think of. Some empire. Just more far left anti American ranting from another foreign national that is envious of the success and prosperity of the USA.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:13 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
When did the Spanish Empire ever control Japan? The only foreign power to rule over Japan was the US post WWII. Also, Spain did not control America, it controlled Latin America. Canada and most of the US was never under Spanish influence and was controlled by numerous European Empires by the 1600s.

Also, Spain never controlled the African interior so how can you say they controlled a large part of Africa? I agree that the Spanish Empire was one of the greats, dont get me wrong, but some of your facts are way off.

Also, Spain never came to India.......The Portguese controlled Goa till the Indian army kicked them out in 1961

Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,567,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, at its apogee, 25% of the world's land was under the British flag.

That being said, I think the definition of "Superpower" is a little dicey. What makes a country a Superpower? It has to be much more than sheer military might, as the ultimate fragility of the Soviet Union showed us. Are you really a superpower when you collapse so quickly? Instead, I think a Superpower has to be that way through a combination of factors: Economics, Military, Culture, and the political will to project power.
Soviet Union had all the qualities mentioned above.
Don't compare the USSR of the 1930-1970ies with the USSR of the second part of the 1980ies.
Two different stories.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Just where is this mythical "empire" ? Lets see now, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and Guam are US protectorates, that is all I can think of. Some empire. Just more far left anti American ranting from another foreign national that is envious of the success and prosperity of the USA.
In the days of modern technology and the *art of banking* in particular, the old definition of "Empire" might be slightly outdated.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogannator123 View Post
i have a question, when did Russia really become a superpower? they have always been really powerful and were key in both world wars. they have beaten back constant invasions and have almost always had a very large army.
Most likely - with Peter the Great "breaking window" into Europe, ie. when Russia received the control of Baltic Sea after few battles with Swedish Empire.

Peter the Great - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The further expansion into Siberia followed in the next century or so.)

The first part of Russia's growth as "regional power" took place during the reign of Ivan the Terrible ( 1530-1584,) who was was "Grand Prince of Moscow from 1533 until his death. His long reign saw the conquest of the Khanates of Kazan, Astrakhan, and Siberia, transforming Russia into a multiethnic and multiconfessional state spanning almost one billion acres, approximately 4,046,856 km2 (1,562,500 sq mi).[2] Ivan managed countless changes in the progression from a medieval state to an empire and emerging regional power, and became the first ruler to be crowned as Tsar of All Russia."

Ivan the Terrible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peter The Great, who turned his attention to "Russian maritime supremacy" has accomplished the task so to speak; Russia was not only a "regional" superpower any longer, but one of the major players in European affairs,(playing big role in the wars with Ottoman Empire as well.)

Last edited by erasure; 01-21-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,434,948 times
Quote:
The U.s is a modern, smarter empire. Rather than occupying the countries directly, which leads to revolutions and other problems, it merely demands that we use our paper currency to be able to buy up real resources and labor. In effect, many countries are U.s colonies, and the U.s empire spans the entire globe.

Read my next post if you want to understand how it works.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 01-21-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History