Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Moth

Going back to the "Embargo"...
Considering that 80 percent of food is imported from the US and that wheat and rice (the main staples) are American, I don't see any embargo anywhere.
Most so, the second (some say that the first) source of income are remittances from the US...
Many people in Havana watch DirectTV though illegal cable TV...
Considering that many "private" ventures, such "casas particulares", "paladares" and "private transportation" are financed by American money, not much embargo..
The only real embargo is the economic system.
And I agree, which is why I was citing the availability of American products in Cuba.

But considering that there is 'no embargo' except in a nominal sense, why not get rid of it on paper? We both agree its Fidel's archaic economic system that is the problem. So, remove the scapegoat and take us out of the calculus. Let the world, at least those who cannot figure out the obvious, see it for the failure it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 02:54 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's way out of context. How many countries have US personnel attempting to murder the head of state and dump $Millions into programs designed to foster and foment revolution and destabilize the country?

Through coercion and threat of force, the US and UK blocked the ascension of all currencies in "communist" countries from being traded on the international market.

The quality of life and standard of living is vastly superior in Cuban compared to other Latin American countries where the US exerts it's ghastly foreign policy.

The quality of life and standard of living would have been even higher had Cuban currency been allowed to be traded freely on the international market.
I didn't say the US didn't mess with other countries...I explained that the communists ALSO exerted a lot of influence. Your currency complaint already was debunked so I won't address that futher.

Consider what the USSR did in oh...Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Syria, Central America, Poland, Ukraine, Korea, Vietnam....the list goes on and on.

The quality of life etc. in Cuba is comparable to Puerto Rico. Other countries have major major issues stemming from overpopulation which is a religious\cultural phenomenon. Lastly, Cuba is a unique country much larger than the other island nations and has greater resources....and also received lots of foreign aid from the USSR for decades.

Personally, I think we just completely drop all "embargos" and leave Cuba the heck alone.

P.S. The population density of most carribean and south american nations is a crushing burden. Might make for a good thread.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:56 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And I agree, which is why I was citing the availability of American products in Cuba.

But considering that there is 'no embargo' except in a nominal sense, why not get rid of it on paper? We both agree its Fidel's archaic economic system that is the problem. So, remove the scapegoat and take us out of the calculus. Let the world, at least those who cannot figure out the obvious, see it for the failure it is.
----

Moth

That would be like yielding to a gangster, it would mean a moral victory for him and for his acolytes. Anyways, the US will never do that, not because of the Cuban Lobby, but because the Congress will never approve it.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:00 AM

The quality of life etc. in Cuba is comparable to Puerto Rico.

----------------

No way....!!!!
A Cuban family could live very well with the trash generated by a P.R. family.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
----

Moth

That would be like yielding to a gangster, it would mean a moral victory for him and for his acolytes. Anyways, the US will never do that, not because of the Cuban Lobby, but because the Congress will never approve it.
Not really. Castro is a goon, but he pales in comparison with some of the other goons out there. No embargo would actually be more damaging to him as it takes away his scapegoat. That is not yielding to anything.

The reality, and this is what the Left will never comprehend, is that he is just another Latin American Caudillo strutting around in a uniform.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You want to try that logic again?

Here is the question:
I'm still waiting. Show me the nation that tried communism and was left in peace on a level table to play it out. You cant, and your proof that you can't redoubles with every evasion.
there is one country where communism does indeed work well, though not flawlessly. think really hard and the obvious answer will come to you.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Hmmm.... Got it New York

Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Not really. Castro is a goon, but he pales in comparison with some of the other goons out there. No embargo would actually be more damaging to him as it takes away his scapegoat. That is not yielding to anything.

The reality, and this is what the Left will never comprehend, is that he is just another Latin American Caudillo strutting around in a uniform.
----

but he pales in comparison with some of the other goons out there?

Who? Stalin, Gengis Khan, Pol Pot?

I don't know any other leader that has destroyed a country so thoroughly.

Yes, he's another LA Caudillo, but he was smart enough to choose the USSR. But again, all Marxist leaders are goons and caudillos.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
The quality of life etc. in Cuba is comparable to Puerto Rico.

----------------

No way....!!!!
A Cuban family could live very well with the trash generated by a P.R. family.
That's the point. A Cuban family DOES live very will on a great deal less than a PR family barely gets by on.

PR's per capita income is less than half of the US as a whole, yet the prices of most things are the same.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-09-2009 at 10:08 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 AM

Jtur

In Cuba, the prices in "Shoppings", "Agros" and supermarkets are far higher than in Miami.

No, they would live well with the trash generated by a P.R. family, but they don't have that trash. They barely survive. There's almost no trash in Cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History