Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times

Advertisements

You have to mention Missouri, because of The James -Younger Gang, although Missouri was really the "GateWay to the West" The Wagon Trains left from Independence, Missouri. So maybe it's the easternmost Wildwest State. Kansas, as the end of the trail for cattle drives, Dodge City,etc...
California had the Gold Rush, Tombstone, Arizona and the Earps/ Doc Holliday, The Black Hills with Deadwood and Custer's Last Stand.....and of course Texas..Longhorns, Rangers, Wes Hardin etc....
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 03:38 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Illinois. It had the Harpes and river pirate Captain Mason operating out of Cave In Rock near Shawneetown; they killed more people than smallpox. Then you had the Banditti-Regulator War in the Rock Valley in the early 19th Century. Not to mention all the bootlegging outlawly in Chicago (including Frankie McErlane who ALSO killed more men than smallpox and was the first gangster to use the Tommy Gun) during prohibition and Chicago's connections with the Midwestern Bandit gangs of the depression era.

When Big Harpe was captured by a Kentucky posse after one of his murderous rampages he was beheaded by them with a butcher knife; a cut was made around and through his neck and then his head was wrenched off like a hog's. Harpe's last words, as the cut was being made, were "You are a goddamned rough butcher but cut on and be damned."

Some famous lawmen were Illinoisans too; Wild Bill and the Earps.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Texas may come to mind but that is more the result of Hollywood's enchantment with cattle drives more than history.

If you consider the era of the Wild West to be that period following the American Civil War up until the late 19th Century, you have to remember that Texas was and had been a state for a number of years, the "lawless" West (with the exception of a few town sherifs) was comprised of western territories, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico with the Indian Territory (Oklahoma).

Kansas, Nebraska, Texas Minnesota and a small portion of Iowa were the last states until you reached the Pacific coast.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:39 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
I think I read somewhere that the area around Ft. Smith, Arkansas had alot of outlaws. When the law would come after them they could ride into the Indian Territory in Oklahoma.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
maybe I'm biased but I think of Utah and Nevada. This area was full of mining and isolated mining towns that were among the most violent in US western history.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:18 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,549 times
great replies...very interesting to hear different views...

Old 10-21-2009, 10:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Montana should be on the list as well. Some of those towns that sprang up during the copper boom late in the 19th century were just as wild and woolly as any of the cattle or railroad towns. Bannack springs to mind.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,357,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I think I read somewhere that the area around Ft. Smith, Arkansas had alot of outlaws. When the law would come after them they could ride into the Indian Territory in Oklahoma.
You are correct. I don't know if I would consider Fort Smith a "western" town, but it was the edge of the world for a while. The U.S. Marshals chose Fort Smith for their new museum. It is going to be quite nice.

The time when Fort Smith was the western town was referred to as "Hell on the Border."

Marshals Museum (http://fortsmith.org/vp/1152.aspx - broken link)

Old 11-07-2009, 02:51 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
You are correct. I don't know if I would consider Fort Smith a "western" town, but it was the edge of the world for a while. The U.S. Marshals chose Fort Smith for their new museum. It is going to be quite nice.

The time when Fort Smith was the western town was referred to as "Hell on the Border."

Marshals Museum (http://fortsmith.org/vp/1152.aspx - broken link)

You're right about the end of the world.

The Military Road was just across the border in Indian Territory. It ran from Ft. Scott, KS, via Ft. Gibson to Ft. Towson, IT and was legitimately considered as the frontier of America. Later, it was sometimes called the Texas Road or the Pawnee Trail.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Two separate places by the name of Virginia City stand out to me. Virginia City, Nevada home of the Comstock Silver Mine was a very wild place from about 1859 to 1880 when the silver mines played out. Murders, crime, legal hangings, and lynchings all took place in large numbers

Virginia City, Montana was also very wild. In the early 1860's gold was discovered in the area and many people moved there hoping to strike it rich. A huge number of robberies occurred when the stage coaches attempted to bring passengers and money in and out of the town. Suspicion focused on Sheriff Plummer as being behind many of these robberies since he never could seem to arrest anyone and seemed uninterested in doing so. Eventually, a band of vigilantes organized. Their first act was to hang Sheriff Plummer. By the time they were done, they had stretched a couple of dozen necks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History