Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which decade do you like best?
1950's 18 13.14%
1960's 21 15.33%
1970's 27 19.71%
1980's 30 21.90%
1990's 30 21.90%
2000's 3 2.19%
This decade(2010 onward) 8 5.84%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Again, thanks for your response...

You mentioned in August of 2004 you felt 'brand new'....to some or many on here...your still brand new......

It troubles me a bit, to see someone so young, burdened with worry about the future...I wish I had a magic potion for you or something........that could take all your concerns and worry away...but I don't, I only have words and sentiment....

I will say this though...when I was your age, I remember promising myself that I would not allow the world to take that 'shine' out of my heart...I would not allow the world to 'rob' me of my youthful glow, my optimism, or my hope for a better future. I refused to give that to the world...

I told myself the world could have all and anything else, but I wasn't giving it my hope and joy and the things that made me gleem on the inside.
And in many ways I have kept that promise to myself...inspite of what I've been through...
To someone who is 60 (I'm not 60) your basically still a child...and thus should still be enjoying life and what it still has to offer.

My only request to you, is that you reclaim that which was yours in 2004, and realize that you still are a spring flower...and that indeed life and opportunity is still before you.
Keep that 90's gleem and glow alive inside of you and you will be ok...
And continue to let the sun shine in your heart..

And again thanks sharing your thoughts with us...
Thanks for the thought. I am hoping to reclaim what I lost. Alot of events have transpired with me since then. I want to reclaim that feeling of everything being a new adventure.
One way I try to keep that 90's glow is through youtube. I have been able to find what I used to watch in those days.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I liked the 70s because everyone still had that hippie vibe going on, peace and love man....
the 1980s became all about the money and greed. To be snobby was hip - I HATE SNOBS.
That and 70s music was very cool. Some of the best music ever was during the 70s (OK, also some of the worst)... cool rock, the folk rock scene, etc.
Board games - not video games (OK, there was Pong and early Atari). And only a few TV stations. Which as result, people bonded more over what they watched on TV. Because everyone watched the same thing!
Although I remember inflation, and Saigon on the TV every night. And expensive gas, and the Middle east had bad stuff going on, Watergate ... so it was not good era by any stretch of the imagination.
I myself am kind of a 70s throwback. We drive a 70s era VW van. And I love station wagons.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:23 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,653 times
There is not much doubt which decade was most economically successful - it was the sixties. I suspect that people's comments on which decade they like best tend to be associated with which decades they remembers

Economically, politically the best time to be an American was from 1945 to 1973 the highwater point of US economic and political expansion. For most times are growing increasingly more difficult, and some compare the US economic situation now to the British situation in 1945. Not a very positive thought.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
There is not much doubt which decade was most economically successful - it was the sixties. I suspect that people's comments on which decade they like best tend to be associated with which decades they remembers

Economically, politically the best time to be an American was from 1945 to 1973 the highwater point of US economic and political expansion. For most times are growing increasingly more difficult, and some compare the US economic situation now to the British situation in 1945. Not a very positive thought.
So when's the rationing going to start and when are there going to be wholesale nationalizations (not bailouts)?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:38 PM

311 posts, read 694,133 times
The thing that I liked about the 60s and 70s is that you could be poor and still have a chance with the ladies.You could be a homeless vagabond but still be cool and desirable because you where on a spiritual quest to expand your mind.Try doing that today, the ladies would laugh you out of town.I wish I had lived through the 60s and 70s, a good time to be a gypsy.But that time was doomed not to last in this money obbsessed country of ours.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:46 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So when's the rationing going to start and when are there going to be wholesale nationalizations (not bailouts)?
There was only rationing in Britain during the 2nd World War and the years immediately after that conflict as the economy recovered. Rationing of course occured in the US during the war despite a booming economy. There never was wholesale nationalizations in Britain, some particularly important industries were, generally temporarily.

But as to the original question, sometime in the next decade. The problems driving the US collapse are three fold. First an economy tied strongly to consumer spending in which wage stagnation makes it increasingly difficult for consumers to spend. Second, a country which is badly neglecting its education system and infrastructure when we can not compete based on price. Third a combination of failure to recognize the key role the government plays in the economy and (unfortunately) one of the dumbest group of businessmen to run a major country in a generation.

The collapse will be signaled most likely by the failings of the hedge funds, which will make the banking crisis look like a tea party. This will unravel a badly fraying economy, and destroy confidence in the market system much as the crash of 1929 did. We will be very lucky if there is not violence on idealogical, racial, and ethic lines.

We are sleeping while disaster builds, as we have been for decades.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Anyway my thought is that the 70's had the best music but my fave is the 80's as i'm a New Waver and that genre peaked during the 80's .

Some say the Monkees or maybe even the Beatles are the founders of New Wave but i say the ''father'' of it is David Bowie as his 1969 album ''Space Oddity'' is probably it's foundation and later on during the mid to late 70's bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cars, The B-52's and Blondie (my musical idol) helped to really transform it as the eighties rolled around.

Sadly it faded in the early 90's as i usually give Duran Duran's ''The Wedding Album'' in 1994 as the official ending of it however it's been making a comeback over the last several years with many twenty something bands out there .

We should have started an ''Musical History'' thread as i wonder if Trudy Rose could separate out our postings out and start a new thread title about this subject.
Yes, she probably can...will work on it this PM

Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
There was only rationing in Britain during the 2nd World War
There was more rationing AFTER the war than during the war. Rationing lasted longer in Britain than it did in Germany.

Rationing in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How it really was: Bread Rationing

Quote:
and the years immediately after that conflict as the economy recovered.
Well into the early 1950s

Quote:
There never was wholesale nationalizations in Britain, some particularly important industries were, generally temporarily.
Coal, iron, steel, all forms of public transportation....

The reason why the nationalizations were mostly temporary is because when the Tories returned to power they reversed them.

Quote:
But as to the original question, sometime in the next decade. The problems driving the US collapse are three fold. First an economy tied strongly to consumer spending in which wage stagnation makes it increasingly difficult for consumers to spend. Second, a country which is badly neglecting its education system and infrastructure when we can not compete based on price.
Sounds legit.

Quote:
Third a combination of failure to recognize the key role the government plays in the economy and (unfortunately) one of the dumbest group of businessmen to run a major country in a generation.
Who have been totally complicit with government.

Quote:
The collapse will be signaled most likely by the failings of the hedge funds, which will make the banking crisis look like a tea party.
Interesting choice of metaphors there

Quote:
This will unravel a badly fraying economy, and destroy confidence in the market system much as the crash of 1929 did. We will be very lucky if there is not violence on idealogical, racial, and ethic lines.
Postwar Britain didn't have violence of that type.

In fact the situation was totally different from what you're talking about.

Sounds like you're talking about Venezuela in the 1990s rather than Britain after WW2 - i.e. the conditions that led to Hugo Chavez taking power.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,084,292 times
This decade. We are witnessing an historic shift in power and wealth. Century-old institutions are gone. Governments may have to revalue currencies. Economic theories are being put to the test, not to mention trade balances and budget defecits. As Warren Buffet said, "when the tide goes out you find out who's been skinny-dipping."

In the science of economics, you cannot create experiments to test theories like in other sciences. You have to wait for things to happen. This decade will be a petri dish. What's more, opportunities will abound in the chaos and reorganization. People would do well to stop their whining about the doom-and-gloom and pay attention. It's not the end, it's just another beginning.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
This decade. We are witnessing an historic shift in power and wealth. Century-old institutions are gone. Governments may have to revalue currencies. Economic theories are being put to the test, not to mention trade balances and budget defecits. As Warren Buffet said, "when the tide goes out you find out who's been skinny-dipping."

In the science of economics, you cannot create experiments to test theories like in other sciences. You have to wait for things to happen. This decade will be a petri dish. What's more, opportunities will abound in the chaos and reorganization. People would do well to stop their whining about the doom-and-gloom and pay attention. It's not the end, it's just another beginning.
Did you just win the lottery?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History