Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:27 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,653 times

Advertisements

Although they were right to chose Germany as the greater enemy, I think there was a bias in that decision - just not a racist one. The Atlanticist, who thought Europe was the center of the universe, won out over the Pacific lobby who saw Asia as such. Neither group was truly rational in their analysis - although the bias is complex and covers a range of idealogical and political perspectives which I hinted at above.

Bombing cities began in the First World War - between the war a range of theoriest including the US Billy Mitchel supported massive destruction of cities to win wars. I don't know if the Germans were the first to use firebombs or not. Regardless revenge was not why the US did it. They thought it would shorten the war - the same reason we used nuclear weapons in Japan.

It has been argued that the US would not have used the atomic bomb against Europeans - that is Germany. The problem with that argument is that the US in fact planned to do so, but the war ended before it was needed. Dresden suggests strongly that race played little role in the decision.

Its hard for me to sympathise with any country in WWII except maybe Finland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 05:34 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noetsi View Post
Although they were right to chose Germany as the greater enemy, I think there was a bias in that decision - just not a racist one. The Atlanticist, who thought Europe was the center of the universe, won out over the Pacific lobby who saw Asia as such. Neither group was truly rational in their analysis - although the bias is complex and covers a range of idealogical and political perspectives which I hinted at above.

Bombing cities began in the First World War - between the war a range of theoriest including the US Billy Mitchel supported massive destruction of cities to win wars. I don't know if the Germans were the first to use firebombs or not. Regardless revenge was not why the US did it. They thought it would shorten the war - the same reason we used nuclear weapons in Japan.

It has been argued that the US would not have used the atomic bomb against Europeans - that is Germany. The problem with that argument is that the US in fact planned to do so, but the war ended before it was needed. Dresden suggests strongly that race played little role in the decision.

Its hard for me to sympathise with any country in WWII except maybe Finland.
I sympathize with every country in World War II except Germany, and Italy, to a lesser extent. Nobody but Germany truly wanted that war.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Had England and France followed more sane policies at Versailles and then during the twenties the political and economic basis for Hitler to take power in Germany would never have taken place. Their attempts to punish Germany with a harsh peace and then repeated occupation created the economic and political landscape that led to the Second World War.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Had England and France followed more sane policies at Versailles and then during the twenties the political and economic basis for Hitler to take power in Germany would never have taken place. Their attempts to punish Germany with a harsh peace and then repeated occupation created the economic and political landscape that led to the Second World War.
Maybe so, but that doesn't excuse what Germany did. Nothing in Versailles was a tenth as harsh as what Germany dished out to innocent people in their path.

What Germany was angry about was that they lost World War I. Any treaty that didn't grant them the rewards of victory in a war that they lost would not have satisfied them, IMO.

And by the late 1920s, England and France were more than ready to rectify in a reasonable, peaceful way any legitimate grievances from Versailles. The Germans wanted another go at war, and I don't think anything short of that would have satisfied them.

Versailles is a good example of the fatal middle ground. It punished the Germans enough to anger them, but not enough to deter further aggression or hold them down for long.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Nothing ever justifies evil. My point was that Germany was not uniquely the evil agent in this case. England may have been willing to be less harsh to Germany in the later twenties. This was not true of France. The US did nothing to address the harm to the German economy (and thus to the European economy) caused by reperations. Had Germany not been an economic disaster due in part to this and had there not been major abuses in the twenties by the Allies of Germans, Hitler would never have risen to power.

The behavior of England, the US, and France in the twenties laid the groundwork for Hitler's rise to power.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Nothing ever justifies evil. My point was that Germany was not uniquely the evil agent in this case. England may have been willing to be less harsh to Germany in the later twenties. This was not true of France. The US did nothing to address the harm to the German economy (and thus to the European economy) caused by reperations. Had Germany not been an economic disaster due in part to this and had there not been major abuses in the twenties by the Allies of Germans, Hitler would never have risen to power.

The behavior of England, the US, and France in the twenties laid the groundwork for Hitler's rise to power.
The US made a whole series of loans to Germany that were never repaid, and effectively paid a lot of the German reparations for them.

The US was also an economic disaster itself in the 1930s, and didn't respond with mass murder and hideous aggression.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Had the US been occupied for years, forced to pay reperations, had its citizens shot, and had the western half of the nation detached from the rest, I imagine they would have reacted quite violently.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
I think that for anyone to deny the racial component of American animosity towards the Japanese is in denial.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Had the US been occupied for years, forced to pay reperations, had its citizens shot, and had the western half of the nation detached from the rest, I imagine they would have reacted quite violently.
Then why hasn't Germany reacted violently since the Cold War? What you described happened to a much greater extent after World War II than it did after World War I.

Germany didn't want to live in peace, in its own territory. It wanted much more than that.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Then why hasn't Germany reacted violently since the Cold War?
1) Because it was not occupied as much as protected from the Soviets by Western forces.
2) Because far from taking resources from Germany the allies put resources into Germany in huge quantities essentially rebuilding and refinancing the German economy.
3) Because the Nazi excesses horrified Germans who turned to democratic politicians aligned with the West. The exact opposite of the post 1918 situation.

The tone and behavior of the West in German was entirely different than the vindictive, punishing one after WWI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History