Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:35 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The resurection of Jesus Christ.

Consider how many millions of Christians there are in the world who base their beliefs on that and hold true to that belief over 2,000 years later.
The discussion is about events in human history, not human myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochTheSleestak View Post
The invention of the printing press. It's importance in transforming human civilization is always underestimated.
I would agree, Gutenberg's printing press changed the world forever. Imagine a world where books were handwritten, scarce and very expensive. Information was hard to come by... then here comes a way to print faster and cheaper, information for the little guy! Newspapers, magazines.... material to read!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
Wow! Some really interesting points of discussion and many I had not considered.

I guess for myself I was trying to "wrap my mind" around an event, "documented" in some way....paper, clay tablets, oral traditions, strata layers etc that was so significant that time itself was and IS measured relative to that event....so a time "zero" event.

Creation or the "big bang" would rate right up there no doubt.... It surely happened though no one human person was there to "see" the event. The dinosaurs "disappeared" and asteroids smashed into the planet causing utter devastation even as humans define devastation and so-forth...

Perhaps there is a quandary with events that don't fit a convenient "time" definition...like the big bang...or creation if you will. Such events not only mark time they seem to transcend time....Science tells us that the universe is STILL expanding from the (most recent?) Big Bang....so in many ways that "event" isn't even OVER yet....will it EVER be? History is a thing totally dependent on time but some events were so momentous that to speak of them in-terms of "time" or even "history" almost doesn't make sense....perhaps life or Life is an "event" that DEFIES time and is occurring beginning, stopping continually in such a way that there is not a single point were we human observers can say "here"....xyz "occurred" and we move forward from there...
And then there is the matter of men's souls. We have them, souls...but there is no scientific evidence really that can measure or quantify a "soul". We see people who seem like the don't have them and how they behave and those that claim that they do. Do souls transcend time and space? Are they historical "events"? Certainly they "exist" (what ever that means in this context)...so is it possible for a metaphysical event to be historically significant even to the point of DEFINING humanity?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times
Jesus was the event that changed history the most . Like it or not, believe it or not, no other single event changed history any more that christianity .

From this came forth the fall of the empires that led up to the 2 greatist nations that ever exisited .

Old 04-08-2010, 12:50 AM

271 posts, read 394,008 times
Fire!!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Jesus was the event that changed history the most . Like it or not, believe it or not, no other single event changed history any more that christianity .

From this came forth the fall of the empires that led up to the 2 greatist nations that ever exisited .
Jesus (assuming he existed, something not necessarily proven) was a person, not an event. Arguments that supernatural events occurred will fail, because those events are not historical. If you want to argue that the rise of Christianity is the most significant event in human history, feel free, but that's entirely different than arguing that a guy rose from the dead, because there's no proof of that, nor even any good evidence for it. It is this sort of inability to read the directions that causes so much frustration in thinking people, not merely on message boards (where it's endemic), but in society as a whole.

As for the second statement you made, it's quite ethnocentric and temporally myopic.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:23 AM

463 posts, read 1,565,558 times
The discovery of Tiger Wood's affairs.

....KIDDING....

Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
It wasn't Christianity that made Europe flourish, it was Europe that made Christianity flourish. By the Middle Ages, Christianity's irrationality had destroyed Europe, in spite of the continents huge geographical advantages, while the non-Christian world forged ahead with superior cultures. Europe enjoyed assets like coal, navigable rivers, temperate climate, predictable rainfall, forests, arable land---all of which allowed for the industrial revolution to take place, which somehow prevailed in spite of Christianity's intellectual orthodoxy, intolerant inquisitions and belligerent monarchies.

If anything, the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ set humanity back by a millennium or so. Perhaps it is the answer to the OP, but it was negative significance, as opposed to positive.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:59 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Wow! Some really interesting points of discussion and many I had not considered.

......And then there is the matter of men's souls. We have them, souls...but there is no scientific evidence really that can measure or quantify a "soul". We see people who seem like the don't have them and how they behave and those that claim that they do. Do souls transcend time and space? Are they historical "events"? Certainly they "exist" (what ever that means in this context)...so is it possible for a metaphysical event to be historically significant even to the point of DEFINING humanity?
We would have to define Soul. The definition of soul (to me) is life's spark, or essence. Every living thing has a soul. Including plants and insects....There is no soul where there is no life.....

That being said, the soul is carried on by all forms of life. The mass of ones body, the energy in our cells.... it was quite an epiphany when I realized that my mass would be recycled. My water, the energy in my tissues and my nutrients. It is life's cycle.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:19 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
There is a seperate Forum for Religion/Christianity. Those who wish to discuss the subject should continue tit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History