Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:12 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can't believe it. This thread actually survived 23 posts before the Obama bashing cartel constantly crawling the forums for new threads to try to hijack found it.
Most people aren't as intelligent as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Albert Einstein

Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Jackie Kennedy. If she had looked and dressed like Eleanor Roosevelt we wouldn't even remember her.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:27 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Jackie Kennedy. If she had looked and dressed like Eleanor Roosevelt we wouldn't even remember her.
Duh. But Michelle my belle is being compared to her. Go figure.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:27 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Let me explain my choices. Since when is the loser celebrated in the case of the confederate general. He lost. Do Germans go around celebrating Adolf Hitler?

Chistopher Columbus de scovered something already here. He thought it was India,and besides the Vikings dicovered it first,but they get no credit for it.

Mlk,I explained it before. We have mlk day,fine. But what about Malcolm X and Medgar Evans?How about civil rights leaders Day?

Marilyn Monroe..I know she was an actress who had an affair with a president,why is she still pop in pop culture ?

Albert Einstien invented a terrible bomb that could wipe out mankind. Oh what about giving Enrica Fermi credit?

And ill add another. In psych 101 I hated Sigmund Freud's theories and stages of development, seemed a little to sex crazed to me and why are his ideas even in a college book?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:32 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Ronald Reagan. The Cold War would have ended favorably regardless of what he did or didn't do. The die was cast by the time he took office in 1981. His other "achievement" of cutting taxes was a joke. The only people who really benefitted were the wealthy. The poor saw their social security taxes go up while their income taxes went down. It was a wash for them. I suppose he did project a "sunny image", but that's about his only accomplishment in eight years. Oh yeah, by the time he left office its documented he was suffering from early stage Alzheimer's Disease. It was a literal crime for him to serve more than one term in office.John F. Kennedy. Is constantly cited as one of the top ten Presidents in office. His legislative program had fallen on hard times. Southerners blocked all his attempts to get civil rights passed. He was a fine speaker, but in terms of substantive accomplishments--there are very few. He benefitted from a good economy. His assassination in office turned a rather ineffective President into an immortal hero.Bobby Kennedy. I often hear people claim he would have been elected President if he hadn't been assassinated. In reality, there was little chance of this. He was a very liberal, leftwing candidate at a time when the country was becoming sick of liberal causes and the civil rights movement. In fact, its even questionable if he would have won his own party's nomination for the presidency.Henry Kissinger. Is regarded as one of the greatest diplomats in the world. In reality, his biggest claim to fame were the Paris Accords which "ended" the war in Vietnam. In reality, two years after these accords were signed, North Vietnam invaded the South and took over the whole country in just a few weeks. Kissinger took approximately 4 years to negotiate this worthless treaty while approximately 25,000 soldiers died in the Vietnam Conflict. If this man is a "great diplomat" than I pity we never have a bad one in office.Alan Greenspan. Was treated as an economic superman because of his tenure as Chairman of the Federal Reserve. Greenspan did some good, but presided over deregulation that made the banking and financial crisis possible. Greenspan knew better, but raised no objection when George W. Bush set out to cut taxes for the wealthiest people in this country in 2001. In one step, Bush blew a pattern where the USA had been running budget surpluses for 6 years and converted those into deficits every year afterwards.I'll stop here. However, the USA has seen its share of inept and incompetent people in public office. What is sad is when they are not recognized for what they are.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Most people aren't as intelligent as I am.
"People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who do." --- Mark Twain

Old 05-01-2010, 10:34 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
James Dean

Old 05-01-2010, 10:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
James Dean
I think we could collectively say, every entertainer who died young, before they became another Orson Welles or Paul Anka or Jimmy Durante.

Another example would be Virginia Dare. All we know about her is that she cried and pooped, and even that is by inference.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 AM

438 posts, read 503,327 times
Gandhi. He only succeeded because the Brits because Britain wasn't as Barbaric as Belgium or Spain was in their colonies.

That plus India had a population of 350 million so how was a few hundred thousand or even a few million Brits going to control India without it being seen as colonial dictatorship, which owing to WW2 was unpalatable and unjustifiable.

Christopher Columbus
What did he discover? The natives of the Americas already knew about these lands. Leif Ericsson had already preceded Columbus to the Western Hemisphere.

Ronald Regan
He is spoken of as a Saint by Republicans, and every Republican tries to paint themselves as a Regan Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History