Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times

Advertisements

I haven't used a machine since high school, and am sure that I could remember the basics without an issue, but does anyone have a recommendation for a machine that has some great features but isn't too complicated to get back to sewing? The projects I am interested in at first are monogramming, making dog beds, drapes, roman shades, and comforters, pillows and other bed ensemble things.

TIA for any recommendations. There are so many choices I don't know which ones really are worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,671,669 times
I have a basic Baby Lock which isn't too complicated. Sadly, the old stand-by, Singer, isn't what it used to be. Make sure you buy from a reputable company and know where they are manufactured. We have had a microwave and my friend had a t.v., both fairly new products, go up in smoke. Qualitiy is hard to find today. I also have an old, 1970 ? Sears machine with a cabinet that just never misses a beat but because of space, I sadly need to leave it behind. Have you also checked Conusmer Reports?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I have a basic Baby Lock which isn't too complicated. Sadly, the old stand-by, Singer, isn't what it used to be. Make sure you buy from a reputable company and know where they are manufactured. We have had a microwave and my friend had a t.v., both fairly new products, go up in smoke. Qualitiy is hard to find today. I also have an old, 1970 ? Sears machine with a cabinet that just never misses a beat but because of space, I sadly need to leave it behind. Have you also checked Conusmer Reports?
I have checked consumer reports but I don't trust their ratings in certain categories like this because their samples are a bit skewed. I have bought several items other than cars that ended up being quite disappointing.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I have checked consumer reports but I don't trust their ratings in certain categories like this because their samples are a bit skewed. I have bought several items other than cars that ended up being quite disappointing.
Buying a sewing machine now requires that you first decide how you are going to use it. Plain sewing, quilting, machine embroidery, monogramming, etc. How many bells and whistles do you need and very important, what are you willing to spend for a good machine. (Not a WalMart machine, total waste of $$).

Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
My wife is a quilter and teaches at a quilt shop. She has currently about 5 machines from a Bernina that cost $7,500, and connects to her computer, down to a more simple Pfaff embroidery machine and a Viking. As others said don't get the $200 Singer at Costco but on the other hand for what you are doing don't let them talk you into something with way more features than you need. Look for a nice but simple Bernina or Pfaff in the $500 price range,
or perhaps a used one if the seller can show that it's been serviced recently.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
My wife is a quilter and teaches at a quilt shop. She has currently about 5 machines from a Bernina that cost $7,500, and connects to her computer, down to a more simple Pfaff embroidery machine and a Viking. As others said don't get the $200 Singer at Costco but on the other hand for what you are doing don't let them talk you into something with way more features than you need. Look for a nice but simple Bernina or Pfaff in the $500 price range,
or perhaps a used one if the seller can show that it's been serviced recently.
Thanks for the tip! Maybe quilting will be in my future, but it doesn't look very easy! I have no problem spending money for a good machine as it is something I look at as being a long-term investment.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Check on eBay for one of these brands which are reliable and reputable brands: (in order of price points)

Bernina, Pfaff, Viking, Janome

Or try to find a good used one at a reputable local dealer for service and classes. (I am a quilter and also love machine embroidery, and sell a lot of my creations. Many sewers trade up as their skills improve along with their addictions to projects. )

Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,787,493 times
Tons of good advice, and I agree with Quilterchik on any one of those brands as being generally good, but I worry that in going for the "basic" that you won't be frustrated after a few projects. As several people have done, I'll warn you to please NOT get a department store/box store/outlet/discount store machine, too. Every single person I've met who has done this needed extensive help and most quit sewing in frustration because these machines are so limited in ability and quality. There is no one right machine any more than there is one right car; you really have to test drive either of them to find the one that will work for you.

First my background; I've been sewing 35+ years and taught for a while, also do machine embroidery (taught that, too) and design machine embroidery but I don't quilt. I sew for pleasure and don't have any obligation to a brand or even sewing machine dealers.

To sew through home dec fabric and/or heavily interfaced projects (like the weekender bag I'm stitching up right now as a gift --it is very stiff and thick in places) it will take a bit more oomph than many low end or many mid range "simple" machines have. Especially when you have multiple layers and crossing seams. Try looking at several different dealers locally and ask about mid range machines and ask to test sew, or have them demonstrated on fabric you bring with you. Buy small pieces of the kinds of fabric you think you will work on and create 6-10 inch swatches that you layer 4-6 layers deep and see how well each machine handles it. This is an easy test of the machine because you aren't struggling with volume (sewing that duvet or some heavy drapes for example). If you think your projects will all be more light weight fabric then many mid-range machines will work and it will be a matter of finding the brand you click with or a dealer who treats you well. Often some basic sewing lessons or how to for your machine is included in the price. Many dealers also offer classes for learning more than just straight stitching and are a way to discover new things to create.

Expect a good machine to cost at least $500 and more realistically closer to $800 these days. You will want a machine with power to sew through layers and a selection of utility stitches and a few decorative stitches. Auto-buttonholes should be available and is worth a lot, your machine should have at least 3-4 different feet that come with it and the option to add more as your sewing gets to the point where you want to do more complicated things like welting and piping for example.

I'm hoping this gives you a little help.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 AM

Good advice as well J&Em... I had sent Alley a lead for a barely used Bernina 1260 that the gal wanted $1500 for. They are going now for just under that price depending on "mileage". Wish I could have added that one to my own collection, that is an awesome machine as I'm sure you would agree. I have a Pfaff 2170 and it does everything I throw at it and I can switch back and forth between regular sewing and embroidery so easily. $800 should get her a nice Bernina 930 as well. (Am sorry I sold mine about 6 yrs. ago).

I totally agree with you on the machines that we see people buying at Wally World and so forth; people don't realize they are throwing money down the drain. A good dealer with excellent service is very important.

Maybe we will hear back from Alley to learn if she has found a machine she can bond with.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
I like the Singer 400 and 500 machines they made in the 1950's and beyond for a couple of decades. You can still buy them on ebay and there is a very competitive market for these old beauties. They are very reliable machines and still in demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation