Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 02:39 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,274 times

Advertisements

I have a White model#1407 sewing machine which I purchased as-is about 6 months ago. Almost immediately it started squeaking when running at high speed, but due to laziness I didn't bother with it until now. I just brought it into a sewing machine service shop for their advertised tuneup for $15 and it turns out it needs a timing/bearing replacement & repair. Cost $70. "Is that even worth it?" I asked, and she told me it's definitely worth it for this machine - being older (likely early 80s model) it's sturdier and of higher quality than the plastic madeinchina crap being produced now.

So, while I have no interest in buying a brand new sewing machine, is it worth it to repair this one or just shop around for another used model in good working condition?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Ok, so for $85. you will have it working perfectly? Worth it.
I have an old 70's era White sewing machine which I have decided to replace with a new, madeinchina crap one the next time it breaks, because I want the newer electronics and ease of changing stitches, etc. But, the new one will cost $100.+, so at $85. you are better off fixing.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Sewing machines need regular tune ups based on how often they are used, and what type of material you are using. You bought a used machine that might never have been tuned up, which may have caused the problems you have now.

My opinion is to have it fixed, and to remember to have it tuned up once a year at least.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
My vote is for having it fixed. Modern machines have all these plastic parts that wear out (= toss the machine), the old machines have all metal parts that tend to hold up well and they are more versatile as to what materials you can sew. My mom and I have a combination of both old and new machines. I tend to sew on the old machine (late 1960's model) and use the new one rarely.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 AM

5 posts, read 39,148 times
to be honest anyone advertising a 15 dollar service is a joke once they get in the machine they can find things to add up most likely you wont get the 15 dollar repair ,but yes it is worth fixing whites are normally good machines i have been repairing machines for 14 years,my opinion get a second opinion.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:49 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
well i'll tell you that you have to weigh it out. i had bought my dw an older machine and the timing was off and they said it need a couple other things and when the got done with the estimate it was going to run about 100 bucks. so i said no to the repair and went out and bought a brand new one for the same money. so i would say unless you have a real expensive machine you would probably be better to get a new one. you don't have to pay alot of money to get a nice one unless you get a top of the line one cause you do it for a bussiness.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:16 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Wink BzzBzzz Hummmm clink clink...buzzz.....

All I had to do was peer into the insides of my wife's '60's era Bernina (from Switzerland I think...). It was making a small clinky noise. I found well oiled solid machined gears, links, widgets, etc. And a broken link-pin. The newest machines, even those from, say, Husqvarna are 1) made in the far East, not Sweden, and are 2) full of plastic. No doubt well-engineered plastic, but hey...

And of course if I even whisper "fancy stitch" to the Bernina, it starts quivering like a wet cold puppy. But hey, when I replace (or make?) that little fractured steel part, it's "go" for another 50 years. Which, BTW, won't make Bernina or Brother happy. At all!

Quite honestly, I don't think you can get this sort of quality ANYWHERE, ANYWAY now. Too durned expensive to build, not enough profits built in. Maybe find one on eBay or in grammy's back room ("Ohh that old thing? You can have it! Just get it outa here!"). An old Husky, Bernina, what other grand old brands, stoneman? (Avoid Singers IMO; they were always a bit cruddy, unless you're talking a treadle machine, in which case you may need psychological counselling!)

Last edited by rifleman; 11-23-2008 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 11-23-2008, 12:43 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
All I had to do was peer into the insides of my wife's '60's era Bernina (from Switzerland I think...). It was making a small clinky noise. I found well oiled solid machined gears, links, widgets, etc. And a broken link-pin. The newest machines, even those from, say, Husqvarna are 1) made in the far East, not Sweden, and are 2) full of plastic. No doubt well-engineered plastic, but hey...

And of course if I even whisper "fancy stitch" to the Bernina, it starts quivering like a wet cold puppy. But hey, when I replace (or make?) that little fractured steel part, it's "go" for another 50 years. Which, BTW, won't make Bernina or Brother happy. At all!

Quite honestly, I don't think you can get this sort of quality ANYWHERE, ANYWAY now. Too durned expensive to build, not enough profits built in. Maybe find one on eBay or in grammy's back room ("Ohh that old thing? You can have it! Just get it outa here!"). An old Husky, Bernina, what other grand old brands, stoneman? (Avoid Singers IMO; they were always a bit cruddy, unless you're talking a treadle machine, in which case you may need psychological counselling!)
I loved my mom's old treadle machine. It was the first sewing machine I learned on. I would take it any day over any of the new stuff. It's the easist to repair and can sew just about anything.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:01 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
What type of sewing do you do with your machine? Do you do a lot of sewing?

I had a couple of White's that were hand me downs from my mom and grandmother. They were good sewing machines in general. They were in need of some general cleaning and oiling and there was a slight problem with the bobbin thread tangling up. We took them to a person who did that sort of stuff and repairs and we were taken. He never did really clean them or oil them and the bobbin problem was not completely resolved. They ran fine for the first few times of sewing and then they went to heck in a handbasket. It was going to cost us way to much to have them repaired at that point. I don't know what that guy did or didn't do, but my machines were never the same.

I do quilting and try and do a lot of it, ( I haven't been able to do as much this past few years taking care of grandbaby) so I needed a machine that worked. It was cheaper and easier for me to buy a new machine than to find someone who could fix my old whites for a fair price.

$85.00 is a good price if you use your machine a ton. But if you just use it occasionally then it might be worth looking into another machine that only costs a few dollars more.

One suggestion though, if you do decide to get it fixed, really find out if the shop or person repairing it is a reputible. We made that mistake with the person we took our whites to. I don't think the guy is still in business because his reputation got around. Also maybe see about getting a second opinion from another trusted repair shop or person.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 39,148 times
the old 930 and 830 berninas are the best old machines out there and vikings are good also the older ones i just got back from training for the new embor 830 bernina what a machine it is,lots of features lets see if they last lol, but we are a bernina and pfaff dealer if anyone needs good fair service i am jason stone been repairing for 14 years i am at the quilt sampler in Springfield Missouri 417-886-5750 will also do service calls as far as Branson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation