Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,095 times

Advertisements

i like playing the games on it but as far as chatting i rarely do. and if youre worried about privacy then dont post private things. save that stuff for emails and phone calls. sure i will post one or 2 interests but what sorts of juicy things can you find out about someone from knowing they like Pink Floyd and chocolate chip cookies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,673 times
Never got into the whole Facebook thing, and I doubt I will. I don't want to be inundated with other people's drama.

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the site lamebook.com . It takes the very worst of Facebook and puts it on display for everyone to see.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 AM

200 posts, read 560,624 times
I am surprised that there are a lot of people who don't "get" Facebook here. I bet in 10 years, this wouldn't be an issue to discuss anymore.. Social network has had a big presence (Facebook will probably the highest IPO ever -- hello!) and will continue to be part of modern society. I will admit that I think that I find it very strange when I talk to someone my age (33) or younger and find that he/she never bother to sign up for Facebook -- I came across very few people like that though. (I understand if someone sign up and decide that it's not for them later though). I personally think that the invention of social network should be regarded at the same level as the invention of moss code, telephone and email -- I honestly do!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
I'm 30-something. I gave FB a testdrive. It gave me the creeps. I'm not on FB anymore.

Our teenage son has FB. He is a bit of an oddball and actually didn't want one. He plays on a team sport, though, and they do all the planning and communicating over FB. He was missing out on info and even missing spur of the moment events and practices because he wasn't on FB and none of the other team mates would stop and think to call the players that weren't on FB. (My son wasn't the only one not on FB... and then of course the coach would complain that not everyone showed to up practice... duh! She's a college student herself...)

So, anyway... he signed up with FB so that he could keep up with what is going on with his team.

It still sucked for him, though, because until he had a phone that was able to be sync'd with his FB account - he had to actually log on and check his FB account constantly or he would still be out of the loop information-wise. It was frustrating. He's actually not one of those kids that's constantly glued to a screen (thank goodness, we got lucky with him...) so he hated having that feeling like he needed to check FB every other hour or so, so he didn't miss anything.

People think that if they post on FB some sudden change in plans or a team dinner or something, that immediately everyone else has that info, too. Not true.

Someday there will be FB anonymous support groups. If there aren't already. Of course - once you've been on FB, you'll never be truly anonymous ever again...

Old 03-28-2012, 10:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
I just don't see the point. I can get into enough trouble on sites like this one.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:12 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I just don't see the point. I can get into enough trouble on sites like this one.

HAH HA HA--ME TOO---infractions yearly whether just so i don't miss em

Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Never got into the whole Facebook thing, and I doubt I will. I don't want to be inundated with other people's drama.

However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the site lamebook.com . It takes the very worst of Facebook and puts it on display for everyone to see.
Ha ha, reps to you for posting that website. The post with the lady who thought she was on google was priceless.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:54 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Lately, I've been feeling some pressure (from friends/family) to join Facebook. I'm 58 and certainly didn't grow up with any kind of social media. I'm suspicious/leery of the consequences of joining, but at the same time I'm fascinated with the concept as a social phenomenon. I tend to be a private person, but at the same time I have a great group of friends. Your thoughts.
I'm not quite as old as you, but I've been on Facebook for roughly 5 years. I love it. My kids & their spouses all post pictures & updates of their activities, and I chat with a lot of old high school and college classmates. It's also a good way of maintaining informal business contacts.

There is also a definite down-side to Facebook.

Too many people - especially kids - put WAY too much personal information on there. And too many revealing photographs.

Pay close attention to your "privacy settings." You can decide who you do, and do not, want to have access to your stuff.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:08 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
I'm 60 and have been on Facebook for years. My settings are private. It's a good way to keep up with friends and family who are scattered all over the country. I'm not going to sit down with pen and paper and write a letter enclosing Polaroid photos of my fishing or seeing a bear to 60 people. When I get friend requests from someone I meet at a party, or someone I knew 30 years ago, I decline them. No big deal. People who are so against FB don't have a clue how to use it properly.

I have a relative who refuses to join Facebook, says they will steal her identity. I don't know who "they" are, and told her no one in their right mind would steal her identity. Hasn't spoken to me in a month.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
I'm almost 63 and have a FB page for wife and myself. I created it 2 yrs ago to keep up with what some of my old high school classmates are up to. One of them created a page for all of us classmates for a Reunion that happened in 2010. I wasn't able to go to the Reunion. My daughter is on FB. Early last year, I got an e-mail with her name on it and a video. I thought it was a legit e-mail, so I clicked on the video.......major virus came into our computer. I found out that she never sent the e-mail. Of course, this can happen thru any website a person goes into, not just an e-mail. It cost us a little over $100 to reformat our computer, but no big deal. I've also got "invites" from young girls, showed my wife and then said "no" and deleted them. Pretty simple. Some young folks can use foul language ("f" bomb) on FB, but that language is all over the internet and heard in everyday life. Wife and I don't like it, but that's just the way it is.

To me, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with FB........just LEARN and DO the right things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation