Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 01:21 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times

Advertisements

Any construction folks out there? I'm looking to build a closet system for our master bedroom. We turned a 5th bedroom/nursery into a closet, and it currently has those wire systems you'd get a home depot. In an attempt to improve on that, I like to put in wood shelvings and drawers.

Now, I'm looking at getting a table saw.... would love recommendations (i.e. is a portable one sufficient for someone who does not do this for a living?). Also, can you use them for other tasks? i.e. can the blade be switched for a sander or even have a router attachment?

I'm obviously new at this.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 02:17 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Portable table saws...I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but it's my opinion that as far as power tools go, you generally get what you pay for. An inexpensive table saw may have cheap parts, like the fence, which can inhibit accuracy of cuts. They may also have a table that is too small to cut larger shelf pieces, which can get annoying really quickly.

Now, a combo machine...I wouldn't personally buy one because again as power tools go, it's better in the long run to get a machine that is suited for the task at hand rather than one that is capable of doing many things. I think you get a better tool that way, and a higher quality finished product.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Thanks RoaminRed... I actually have the same principal with other stuff (i.e. I'd die before owning a printer/fax/scanner device)... so I guess it makes sense to use that concept with power tools.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:16 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Default closet system for our master bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Any construction folks out there? I'm looking to build a closet system for our master bedroom. We turned a 5th bedroom/nursery into a closet, and it currently has those wire systems you'd get a home depot. In an attempt to improve on that, I like to put in wood shavings and drawers.

Now, I'm looking at getting a table saw.... would love recommendations (i.e. is a portable one sufficient for someone who does not do this for a living?). Also, can you use them for other tasks? i.e. can the blade be switched for a sander or even have a router attachment?

I'm obviously new at this.....
You should look a RTA systems, Read Too Assembly. Theirs hundreds of styles and flavors out their,cheaper than buying a saw or multi-dysfunctional piece of equipment that just sits in your garage and takes up space..... I had one of those multi-purpose system used it a dozen times or so.The set up and re-set up will drive you crazy. A good table saw contractor grade high end that you can use a dado system on and a good floor drill press and a router and stand is all you need. And some small hand held power tools. Cord or Cordless drill and a good sander.
Stores easy and you have a great little shop.....

Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
The question you need to ask yourself isn't whether you should buy a saw to build your closet organizers, but whether you want to take up woodworking as a hobby. It's a commitment of time and money. You're right in thinking that you don't want to buy junky tools. They'll be frustrating to use and dangerous. To do it right, you'll probably spend more on tools than you would if you bought ready-to-assemble cabinets. Then you'll need to develop your skills so that you can build things that you'll be proud of. Of course at that point, you'd have the tools and knowledge so that you can start building cabinets all over the house. That's a nice feeling, and you'll eventually start saving money by building rather than buying. Plus you'll end up with a better quality product, and personalized to your own design. But you will need to spend a lot of time learning to get there, and to do so safely. The saw is just the beginning of a lifetime journey.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Most community colleges have adult wood working classes most will give you basic knowledge of wood working. A very good place too start, they have the tools and the training..............

Old 01-28-2008, 10:18 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Thanks RoaminRed... I actually have the same principal with other stuff (i.e. I'd die before owning a printer/fax/scanner device)... so I guess it makes sense to use that concept with power tools.
I might also suggest that you look into joining a local Woodworkers Guild, I've been a member of the Annapolis Woodworkers Guild for about 14 years and you can learn a lot from the members of the Guild. They can tell you where the best buys are, and some of the best products to use from their own experiences, it's well worth the membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation