Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 PM

317 posts, read 496,503 times

Advertisements

I live in a small town and we are planning on having our very first summer festival at the city park. Other than a potluck dinner and fireworks show, we want to have some kind of a game or contest between the five city committees verses the five neighborhood HOA boards. A lot of the people participating are elderly so we can't really do something like a football game or anything too physical. The only thing I can think of is some type of a trivia contest, but that seems kind of lame. Can anybody give me some suggestions? I have three months to put something together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 05:53 AM

87 posts, read 92,828 times
hold a lets get drunk weekend event.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:59 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
how about a familty feud type of game?

or wheel of fortune?

for the wheel of fortune, all the answers could be town related.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Small Town Olympiad.

Divide into teams, make each member of a team participate in at least one event. Choose a mix of events so that people of different physical abilities all get to participate in an event. Stagger the events through the day, but try not to have too many events.
  • Horse shoes or Bocce.
  • Egg Toss.
  • Sack Race / wheel barrow race / three-legged race / tricycle race / short relay race.
  • 'Biggest liar' contest - he who tells the most unbelievable story in under 30 seconds wins. Winner picked by acclamation of crowd.
  • Tug of War.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:27 PM

159 posts, read 575,353 times
Maybe you could have either a talent show or karioke contest. The city leaders or neighborhood presidents could be the judges.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I live in a small town and we are planning on having our very first summer festival at the city park. Other than a potluck dinner and fireworks show, we want to have some kind of a game or contest between the five city committees verses the five neighborhood HOA boards. A lot of the people participating are elderly so we can't really do something like a football game or anything too physical. The only thing I can think of is some type of a trivia contest, but that seems kind of lame. Can anybody give me some suggestions? I have three months to put something together.
I live in Northfield, Minnesota, which has one of the largest town festivals in the state, drawing over 100,000 visitors over four days spanning the weekend after Labor Day. The festival commemorates the failed attempt by the James-Younger Gang to rob the bank in 1876.

This is typical - these town festivals tend to have a theme based on the area's history or industry or something related to local folklore. Lumberjack Days, the Winter Carnival, Oktoberfest, Potato Days - you get the idea.

There is quite an array of festivities.

*There are numerous reenactments of the robbery - which began with the gang shooting up the main street in an attempt to clear any would-be interference from the residents, and devolved into a running firefight between the residents and the gang, which aborted the robbery and fled. The reenactors feature men on horseback, dressed for the period, firing period weapons (with blanks).

*There's a beer garden in the main square, with bingo and the sort of mobile food booths you see at state fairs (deep-fried everything on a stick).

*There's a carnival.

*There's a rodeo.

*There's a classic-car show.

*There's an arts fair.

*There's a group bicycle tour along local highways.

The main keys are food and drink and group cheer.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
When I was a high school-aged kid, a club I was in had a dunk tank every year at the county fair -- the kind where somebody sits on a plank/seat behind a "cage", and for a small fee the walkers-by can lob a baseball or three at the "trigger" which drops the seat-sitter into a tank of cold water. Building the thing the first time was a chore, but then we used it for several years.

I organized a frog-jumping contest for our Chamber's Crazy Days one year -- got a dozen or so big-wigs in town to join in, from state senators to the mayor, hospital administrator, school superintendent, etc. It was a lot of fun, right up to the start of the race... when we discovered that the sidewalk was too hot and killing the frogs!

Hint: If you have a frog-jumping contest, do it in a shady spot, maybe with some wet grass.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:03 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I'm not sure what I object to more - the fact that you need a contest where people are pitted against each other, or that something seems "lame."

What if you had a little concert, maybe by a high school group?

What if you had a trivia contest that was specifically local historical trivia, like who your first mayor was?

What if you had some kind of cook-off or bake-off that related either specifically to summer or to your local foods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation