Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,176 times

Advertisements

I am a sewing teacher in the Charlotte, Concord and Matthew's area. I have over 40 years of of experience. I am certified to teach sewing through the Home Sewer Association and I teach at Central Piedmont Community College, Hobby Lobby and Ruth Sewing Academy. Please feel free to call 704 563-7011 or go to my web site Ruth Sewing Room, Beginning Sewing Classes & Sewing Notions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 41,567 times
I've not done much sewing at all apart from when I did a gcse in textiles at college where I printed a design for a cusion and then sewed it with a machine, there are a few college courses out there! I am going to soon start working voluntry at a factory that does baby quilts they also do wood work, my friend has already started going and she said it was good because someone helps you on the machines, they sell the products in the building, the woman also said theres a chance of doing an nvq, I'm sure if you people ask around you will find similar places even if it is working voluntry its a good chace to get some expirence and to do what you want.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 AM

24 posts, read 83,033 times
Oh I wish I knew how to sew!!!! My husband bought me one for xmas because I would truly like to learn! I think the local sewing shops do have classes at certain times of the year [small town] I just hate to go and admit how dumb/clueless I am about it all. So I hope they have sewing for dummies! I seriouly don't know a bobbin but do know a bobber! Thats my problem, when I was younger I wanted to be outside with my dad, I had no desire to learn cooking/sewing etc...from mom!

Naturally I learned to cook as I love to eat....but never did get sewing, and have very little knowledge even by hand. Thats one thing I told my husband I believe they should still have mandatory Home Ec. classes for girls in school....I don't care what new name they give it, but it should be brought back!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 41,567 times
well ive started the voluntry work, and did have a little setback today, because i had threaded the machine wrong, I missed a hidden hook and the helper had to cut away and unscrew the machine!! oops.. oh well at least it was just a test piece and I did thread it right after though.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooterville View Post
Oh I wish I knew how to sew!!!! My husband bought me one for xmas because I would truly like to learn! I think the local sewing shops do have classes at certain times of the year [small town] I just hate to go and admit how dumb/clueless I am about it all. So I hope they have sewing for dummies!
I've sewed for a long time. My Grandma taught me on a treadle sewing machine in the 60s (I still have the machine.) I've taken classes and still would like to take more. Especially on fitting patterns. The reason you take classes is to learn--if you knew how to do it, you would not need to take the class. Don't let not knowing something stop you from taking classes! That's what they are for and you're helping someone make a living at something they love to share (sewing.)

My favorite thing to sew is historical clothing. I do Fur Trade Re-enactments and sew my costumes.

A tip: use the long pins and get one of those magnetic pin holders--just love how easy it is to pick up pins with them.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:35 AM

62 posts, read 87,161 times
I bought a computerized Brother Sewing machine. Im a beginner but it is fun. I made two tops - very simple patterns. The best thing I made was a nighgown. Thats a good thing to start with because youre just going to sleep in it!! Lol.
Sealace

Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM

392 posts, read 990,720 times
Default sewing

I'm new at sewing and want to learn more. I'm starting out making table runners and napkins. So far I have a set for each holiday....... Tried a nitegown but it turned out terrible.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 AM

70 posts, read 237,837 times
I love to sew! I've been sewing for 33 years. I made these two dresses.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k158/isew4kidz/MyCreations015.jpg (broken link)

If anyone needs help or has questions, I'll be glad to help any way I can!

There are forums online that are free to join, also yahoo groups with lots of experienced sewers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation