Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times

Advertisements

Hey all, wondering if'n anyone collects or knows about old sewing machines? My wife has a 1947 Kenmore-White 117-959 Rotary machine. I'm going to a sewing repair store today to try and find a part for it to make it work for her. Just wondering if anyone else collects these? My wife wants to start, seems like an expensive, bulky habit lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 02:11 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Its not expensive, thats for sure. Most old sewing machines can be purchased for a song. I got my pink Atlas beauty for $15. Most should be had for under $50. Here is a good blog post (not mine) about it: Sewing Machine Repair Tips: Determining the value of an old sewing machine

Bulky? Yes, its bulky.

I'm not a collector, but I do know there are plenty out there. I'd kind of like ot be a collector, but my husband rolls his eyes every time I threaten to bring home a new machine, so I onlly have two. But I saw this beauty of a touch-n-sew (1965 model) for $20 yesterday! And I really want a slant-o-matic. I mostly fall in love with models from the 40s, 50s, and 60s, but even the older ones aren't worth all that much.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times
i think i can fix hers, either it needs a new motor wheel or the motor rebuilt... we shall see

Old 10-28-2009, 08:02 PM

625 posts, read 1,881,513 times
Not necessarily expensive, but you'll definately need some space.

Actually a couple of mine I got during 'Spring Cleanup Week' and I grabbed them off the curb!

Our favorite is a hand crank machine.....had to have a servant, friend, one of the kids, or someone to crank it while you sewed. And the cranking speed HAD to be consistant.... Impossible for one person to operate alone.

On a placque on the side is an inscription to the effect that this is the model presented to Princess Alexandra. Princess Alexandra became Queen of England in 1901, so that model is earlier than that, tho we don't know if the machine itself is actually that old. I can't imagine it had a real long production period since it's so awkward to operate.

Oh, that one we got at rummage sale along with a beautiful bentwood carrying case. Pd $25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Hey all, wondering if'n anyone collects or knows about old sewing machines? My wife has a 1947 Kenmore-White 117-959 Rotary machine. I'm going to a sewing repair store today to try and find a part for it to make it work for her. Just wondering if anyone else collects these? My wife wants to start, seems like an expensive, bulky habit lol

Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Old sewing machines are mechanical marvels. Too bad we don't have room for a collection although some day I want a machine capable of sewing sight to medium sailcloth.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:49 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Old sewing machines are mechanical marvels. Too bad we don't have room for a collection although some day I want a machine capable of sewing sight to medium sailcloth.
Keep your eye out for a Pfaff 130. These heavily built machines are frequently available at home/farm auctions, on eBay, etc. Straight needle and zig-zag, I learned to use one of these machines at a sailmaker's shop in the 1960's ... where they had a bunch of them, also used for boat canvas and cushion work.

Reasonably priced, typically at anywhere from $35-100, in hardcases or consoles. We've got three plus a spare head for parts, and these machines are very easy to adjust and will sew anything from silk through leather with the correct needles. Parts readily available through Pfaff dealers or repair shops.

We've also got a Pfaff 332-2, which is very nice if you're doing buttonholes or decorative work with the built-in cams. I don't use it for that, it gets used for horse blankets and canvas covers repairs ... but it's also a very nice machine with the convenience of a "free arm". Bought mine, a console model, for $65 and all it needed was to be oiled and cleaned. I've also got a heavier duty Pfaff upholstery machine, treadle powered only; works slick and we've done saddle leather projects on it.

Also, older Bernina machines will do well, too. But for some reason, they tend to be more expensive than the Pfaff's ... perhaps favored a bit more by dressmakers.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:11 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
My wife has a 50+ yr old Necchi machine that will do all sorts of fancy work.
Last use was a stunning wedding dress for a friend. thanks

Old 10-30-2009, 07:00 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
I just bought an older Kenmore for a friend. Not really anything collectible about it, but I am loving it. I paid $10 at goodwill, including the table. I took it out of the table and left that there for them to resell or something (couldn't fit in in my car). I don't think it had every been oiled (every screw still had the tiny washer with it)! Anyway, I let the frozen parts soak in oil for a couple hours, and now it sews like a dream.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:54 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Wow! I had no idea that people wanted these old things. Two weeks ago I had an old building torn down in west Texas that contained at least two old sewing machines in cases (probably 1940s/1960s) that went to the high school homecoming bonfire with the rest of the building. I would have gladly given these to anyone who was interested. These machines probably worked as my sister-in-law took one or two of the old machines out of that building several years ago and they worked.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 PM

148 posts, read 584,949 times
It's not very expensive, but it can take up a lot of room. It's great if your wife sews though, because a lot of the older machines work better and more durable than many of the newer ones on the market. That's sort of how my "collection" came about, thrift store shopping and buying older machines because I kept having problems with the new ones. One of my favorites is a 1920s Singer treadle machine - I had my husband build me a "skid" for it on wheels, so I can roll it out and sew on the back porch on nice days.

High_Plains - I thought I'd add you'd be amazed what people collect, and use. Another big item is old wringer washers - lots of these go for over $100 a piece. I bought one to use for washing cloth diapers, so I could do small daily loads separate from the normal laundry. Some "green" and "off-grid" people like them because they're easily modified to run on gas engine or bicycle power, and others use them for decor or flowerpots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation