Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times

Advertisements

As I was reading this (see link below) thread the other night, I decided to check C-D to find out how many CB radio threads there were. Other than a few threads about CB users that weren't very neighborly, there weren't many references to CB radio on the forums.

//www.city-data.com/forum/other...kers-know.html

So, I got to wondering, how many CDers are also CBers?

I've used CBs casually for many years, but hadn't done much with them for the past ten years or so. I just bought a new radio a couple weeks ago, and have listened in to some conversations, but haven't really tried to talk to anyone yet.

I know there are hobbyists who use base stations and good antennas to reach others across the country, or even across the oceans, when skip conditions are good.

There are others who simply use CBs for talking to truckers as they travel the interstate. This is a good way to find out about traffic and weather problems down the road.

My use has mostly been the latter in that I've talked mostly to truckers and other drivers while on the road, or I've talked to others in my 4x4 club while on the trail. I have some interest in pushing the limits of the radio and trying to see what it will do, but since it's a mobile unit, I don't expect the kind of performance that can be found with a base station.

My current radio is a Galaxy DX 979 Single Side Band radio connected to a Wilson Lil' Wil' antenna on my truck. I've tuned the antenna to the best signal I can get from it, and have an SWR of about 1.2 to 1.4 on all channels. I'm still trying to decide what I'll use for a handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Got a Cobra in my Jeep, but don't use it except when on the trail, or occasionally to talk to truckers when driving to/from a trail.

When I was a teenager, I had a Radio Shack mobile unit set up in my bedroom using a 12v power supply, and a cheap mobile antenna nailed to a tree outside. I'd monitor channel 9 while doing my homework. One time, I called the CHP for a guy that was about 30 miles away and had broken down on the freeway. He was amazed that we could hear each other being that far apart. I was, too, despite the fact that my location pretty much had line of sight to the entire Los Angeles basin.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I've been a ham radio operator for some time now, but I had a good time on CB back in the day. I still have three mobile units and four handhelds. I know a lot of hams are rather disdainful of CB, but I'm not.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Got a Cobra in my Jeep, but don't use it except when on the trail, or occasionally to talk to truckers when driving to/from a trail.

When I was a teenager, I had a Radio Shack mobile unit set up in my bedroom using a 12v power supply, and a cheap mobile antenna nailed to a tree outside. I'd monitor channel 9 while doing my homework. One time, I called the CHP for a guy that was about 30 miles away and had broken down on the freeway. He was amazed that we could hear each other being that far apart. I was, too, despite the fact that my location pretty much had line of sight to the entire Los Angeles basin.
If you don't mind me asking, what area were you in when you were there?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,405 times
I just put a radio shack trc-447 in my bronco ii, doesnt seem to be much chatter around here on the radio.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
It's not nearly as busy as it was back in the day. It's mostly truckers now, with much of the old jargon discarded. At least that's how it is around DFW.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 AM

Since I put the radio in my truck a few weeks ago, I've also noticed that there isn't a whole lot of traffic on the airwaves compared to what I was used to about 20 years ago. Back then, hardly anyone had a cell phone, so that's probably what people are using now instead of CB radio.

There have been times that the airwaves were so quiet that I thought my brand new radio was already broken! It sure isn't like it used to be.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
I've been dabbling back into CB again. I still have my old 23 channel radios but I invested in a new 4 channels handheld CB radio since all CB radios are allowed 4 watts anyway. I upgraded the antenna , installed a simple outside CB antenna all set to work with the handheld and I've not been disappointed. I can hear, and talk, as well as any other CB as long as I run the radio on line current and not batteries.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,882 times
The power limitations, limited number of channels and unregulated content must have an effect on CB useage. I spoke with a guy who had base loaded HF antenna on his truck and he was telling me that a lot of people switch over from CBs to amature radio. There is so much more power, frequencies and communications infrastructure you can use. The licensing exam you need to get on the air is not that tough either.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher521 View Post
The power limitations, limited number of channels and unregulated content must have an effect on CB useage. I spoke with a guy who had base loaded HF antenna on his truck and he was telling me that a lot of people switch over from CBs to amature radio. There is so much more power, frequencies and communications infrastructure you can use. The licensing exam you need to get on the air is not that tough either.
IMO the reason that CB is preferred by some folk's is cost. CB's and all the "stuff'" that goes with them is much cheaper than ham "stuff" ever is. CB radio is way, way , way less complicated to learn and use also when compared to Ham radio equipment.

I'm not saying that ham radio should be avoided. I'm just saying that be sure your interest level matches all that goes into Ham radio before you buy anything ham related.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 02-20-2010 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation