Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:34 PM

783 posts, read 577,037 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I've been planning on building a new computer desk for a while now. Originally, I had just planned to buy some butcher block and pipe legs from Home Depot. But recently we did some renovation, and I now have a wood door (pic attached) that I would like to use for the desk. The problem is that it has panels in it. Is there a way to fill in the panels to make it a smooth surface? I have considered some kind of wood filling putty. Or I can buy a thin piece of plywood and attach it to the top. Or a combination of both. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to use this old door for a desktop...-20170106_182147.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 04:40 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,698,122 times
If that was my project, I would keep the panels and top it with glass.
I would not try to hide that it was a door.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:56 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Hey folks, I've been planning on building a new computer desk for a while now. Originally, I had just planned to buy some butcher block and pipe legs from Home Depot. But recently we did some renovation, and I now have a wood door (pic attached) that I would like to use for the desk. The problem is that it has panels in it. Is there a way to fill in the panels to make it a smooth surface? I have considered some kind of wood filling putty. Or I can buy a thin piece of plywood and attach it to the top. Or a combination of both. What do you guys think?
That will be a BIG desk. Have a piece of 1/4-inch Luan or Birch plywood cut to fit at the Home Store.
Glue it sparingly with contact cement, sand the edges, and varnish.
That way you can always remove the plywood later and repurpose it as a door again if needed. Or not.
Leg kits aren't cheap, so be creative.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
If that was my project, I would keep the panels and top it with glass.
I would not try to hide that it was a door.
A piece of 1/4-inch plate glass that size would be $$$. But cool.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:25 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
I just looked to my left at an identical door on my coat closet.
I think, if'n it was me, I'd cut the door off at the bottom third, like between the panels that are the same sized. Use that bottom panel as one side of your desk and then you only need two legs. And the top won't be too big. You could always fill in the recessed panels with clear poly, I guess. At least it would keep the look of a door.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:33 PM

708 posts, read 578,331 times
I would opt for plexiglass or thin plywood top. Google "using door as desk", click image tabs and you can see some cool ideas.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:11 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I just looked to my left at an identical door on my coat closet.
I think, if'n it was me, I'd cut the door off at the bottom third, like between the panels that are the same sized. Use that bottom panel as one side of your desk and then you only need two legs. And the top won't be too big. You could always fill in the recessed panels with clear poly, I guess. At least it would keep the look of a door.
What a great idea!

Since I gave away my old work table, I've been dithering over making a new one out of non-tabley parts. (I don't like most tables.) I LOVE your idea! Thank you for posting.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:51 PM

783 posts, read 577,037 times
Thanks for the responses guys and gals.

I'm gonna stay away from glass and plexi because I actually do want to have it to be just a wood desk. But I think the thin plywood is the best way to go. Thanks for the tip with the glue @finalmove. And the size of the door is perfect. It's 80" and so is the space that I want the desk to fit in. It might need to be sanded/shaved down a smidge, but it should work perfectly.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:19 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
Doors are great. I have a pair of bifold closet doors we use as a folding workbench on two sawhorses.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:55 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,196 times
You want to be able to see the panels! Get a piece of tempered glass for the top. That way, you can slip often-needed notes under the glass. I would buy at least two short, wood file cabinets for the legs, and finish them to match the door/top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation