Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 08:47 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
5.56 will NOT do this. It doesn't penetrate walls well because of its high speed and light weight. That's why the AR-15 has quickly become one of the most popular options for home defense.
Sorry about that, you're right. I should have looked into that more.

I shot these 1/2 inch thick steel plates with a 7.65 Argentine Mauser. I'm guessing that the bullet weight was about 160 grains or so at about 2600 feet per second? I assumed that a 60-75 grain bullet at almost the same velocity could easily penetrate multiple sheetrock walls.
Attached Thumbnails
AR10 vs AR-15 + What Caliber?-img_4438.jpg   AR10 vs AR-15 + What Caliber?-img_4436.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 09:02 PM

705 posts, read 506,670 times
AR “brands” are mostly the same to me. They all shoot, the design is pretty simple. So just get a common inexpensive brand like a PSA or Anderson. It will be just as good as an expensive LTM, Colt or Novesk for what you want. I used to sell ARs. If your going to use it for home defense, I’d recommend a 16” barrel with a collapsible stock. Remember, if your scared, you will get tunnel vision, so get the simplest rifle possible. You don’t want to have to play around with switches, batteries, flipping up or adjusting sights, ect. You want to grab and go, because you will not have time.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I am wanting to get some type of AR for family protection and I know nothing about them. I started looking at AR-15 when I came across AR-10 so this confused me even more. So what are the differences? Also any particular brands that are better than others?

From buying ammo for my handguns I am very aware of an ammo shortage. It makes no sense to get an AR-? if I cannot get ammo for it. It appears that 5.56 is the most popular caliber. What other calibers are out there for personal protection that may be more available.
AR10:is a 308 caliber rifle. It’s a bigger heavier more powerful bullet than the typical .223/5.56. When you get down to it i would t want to be shot by either one. There are some difference in the size of the receivers to accommodate the longer 308 round. But visually they are very similar almost identical basic shape.

As far as home defense imo can’t go wrong with a simple 12 ga shotgun. While it’s not a distance shooter with slugs you can reach 80-100 yards. You’re lobbing them at that point.nFor a basic all around rifle you can’t beat a AR15 or AK47 variant. The AK is aboit as rugged and simple as they get. When you think about it if some freedom fighter or dirt poor farmer can have a working AK in those environments they live in your use the AK will last forever.
If I had my druthers a Milled receiver AK would be my choice. Little heavier but preferable over the stamped receiver AK. Other than that I’ll take anything that fires and works.

Quote:
Just in case the SHTF and zombies!

I am not concerned much where I live at now. But I will be moving to a more rural location in another state in a few months.
Here is what I learned over the years.....from friends who were in the poop. .these are almost verbatim..... I don’t care how much tactical crap you got on, how many rounds your gun can fire and how many mags you’re carrying or what laser scope aiming system is screwed on your gun. A lot of tactical dudes got killed by a farmer with a bolt action ww2 rifle or some trashed out AK.

If the SHTF your best bet is to have friends....preferably with guns also. And I can tell you that having a gun with a 100 round mag doesn’t mean crap of you can’t hit what you’re aiming at you’re wasting ammo. My neighbors and I are ready to pull resources. 90% are cops former military or avid hunters.

Seriously while some guys are stroking themselves hoping for a SHTF scenario we all better pray it never happens. Because if it happens here then the whole world will get involved. Mentally most people will not be ready for anything of that magnitude. Hell I don’t think people who are “ready” for SHTF will be actually ready for the real thing. It’s one thing to be ready for SHTF in your house with electricity working tv Internet food stocked up gas in the car neighbors that aren’t gonna kill you for a package of bacon. Whole other thing when waking out of the house can get you a bullet to the head.

We all got a glimpse with the riots and crazy bs earlier this year.you think you’re gonna be able,to fight off a mass of a thousand people? Yiu better have the equivalent of a fire base in guns people and ammo.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-10-2020 at 09:32 PM..

Old 12-10-2020, 11:58 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
5.56 will NOT do this. It doesn't penetrate walls well because of its high speed and light weight. That's why the AR-15 has quickly become one of the most popular options for home defense.

That is NOT true! a 5.56 will pierce straight through an 8x8 landscape timber from 100'! I've done it! it puts a clean hole straight through...and you're saying it won't pierce 1' of drywall and a 2x4? Oh, and that's if you even hit the 2x4...a .22lr will pierce the 1' of drywall easily.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:02 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
AR10:is a 308 caliber rifle. It’s a bigger heavier more powerful bullet than the typical .223/5.56. When you get down to it i would t want to be shot by either one. There are some difference in the size of the receivers to accommodate the longer 308 round. But visually they are very similar almost identical basic shape.

As far as home defense imo can’t go wrong with a simple 12 ga shotgun. While it’s not a distance shooter with slugs you can reach 80-100 yards. You’re lobbing them at that point.nFor a basic all around rifle you can’t beat a AR15 or AK47 variant. The AK is aboit as rugged and simple as they get. When you think about it if some freedom fighter or dirt poor farmer can have a working AK in those environments they live in your use the AK will last forever.
If I had my druthers a Milled receiver AK would be my choice. Little heavier but preferable over the stamped receiver AK. Other than that I’ll take anything that fires and works.

Here is what I learned over the years.....from friends who were in the poop. .these are almost verbatim..... I don’t care how much tactical crap you got on, how many rounds your gun can fire and how many mags you’re carrying or what laser scope aiming system is screwed on your gun. A lot of tactical dudes got killed by a farmer with a bolt action ww2 rifle or some trashed out AK.

If the SHTF your best bet is to have friends....preferably with guns also. And I can tell you that having a gun with a 100 round mag doesn’t mean crap of you can’t hit what you’re aiming at you’re wasting ammo. My neighbors and I are ready to pull resources. 90% are cops former military or avid hunters.

Seriously while some guys are stroking themselves hoping for a SHTF scenario we all better pray it never happens. Because if it happens here then the whole world will get involved. Mentally most people will not be ready for anything of that magnitude. Hell I don’t think people who are “ready” for SHTF will be actually ready for the real thing. It’s one thing to be ready for SHTF in your house with electricity working tv Internet food stocked up gas in the car neighbors that aren’t gonna kill you for a package of bacon. Whole other thing when waking out of the house can get you a bullet to the head.

We all got a glimpse with the riots and crazy bs earlier this year.you think you’re gonna be able,to fight off a mass of a thousand people? Yiu better have the equivalent of a fire base in guns people and ammo.

I don't know who Yiu is but they sound Chinese!

You might want to watch the riots again...when shot sound the crowd scatters! Still a good argument for high capacity magazines though!

Old 12-11-2020, 03:49 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,216,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

The area I will be moving to is close to my brother and his family.. He has a lot of guns (all types) and ammo for them. When the riots started my SIL said if it gets bad to come there. They live along side a creek, have solar power and plenty of space for a garden or whatever if necessary. Back when I quit hunting due to having to work out of state he kept hunting and accumulating his guns. He even had a gun dealer license at one point. He has had a concealed gun permit for many years and regularly packs.

p.s.: I meant for this post to be in the "Guns and Hunting" section. Maybe a moderator can move it.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:18 AM

2,715 posts, read 2,216,807 times
This may be a stupid question but what does it mean when it has 223/5.56? Are these the same caliber? I have seen available 223 ammo and not 5.56 ammo.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:03 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,095 times
Quote:
This may be a stupid question but what does it mean when it has 223/5.56? Are these the same caliber? I have seen available 223 ammo and not 5.56 ammo.
It can shoot both.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:05 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
An AR-15 round will absolutely penetrate a wall. They are designed to penetrate light body armor and thin skinned vehicles

Quote:
They are essentially the same with minor differences related to one being a civilian standard and the other a military standard. The other difference is that 5.56 has a higher pressure limit than .223. More info here https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...he-difference/

Old 12-11-2020, 08:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,095 times
Quote:
Correct. An .223 round WILL penetrate a wall or two, but much less than any handgun will... And, you can even go with the VMAX rounds to fragment even more with indoor walls and such.... Of course, good luck finding any of that ammo right now...

If it didn't penetrate ANY walls, then it wouldn't be a very good weapon.

I like 5.7x28mm for indoor defense. Especially in an apartment. It will go thru 1 wall, but a second wall stops it almost most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation