Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times

Advertisements

I just bought a sofa and my dogs chewed a corner of the fabric. I have ordered new fabric for the chewed corner but am wondering what my best plan of action is to repair it.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I know there are new patches sew on items, hot glue, thread... what would you do to repair fabric as professional and non showing as possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Is the chewed parted something that could be removed and replaced like a dust ruffle? I suppose you couldn't get that lucky.

Is the fabric something that needs to be matched, like a plaid or floral, or is it a pattern that would lend itself to camouflaging a patch? If it needs to be matched, take some vellum or another thin tracing paper and trace the design. This is going to become your pattern for cutting the new fabric.

I am old school. If the affected area is where it will show, I would attach the patch with stitches. They are the most permament, easiest to disguise, and are more forgiving if the patch doesn't match and needs to be adjusted. You will want a heavy duty thread. Check the thread aisle at the local fabric store. The thread labels are color-coated, just take time to read the display. You most likely will need a curved needle. Sometimes you can purchase a package of just curved needles in different sizes. More likely you will find them packaged with other upholstering needles; there is usually a thick one that is bent at the end and two or three curved ones, as well as one or two others.

When the new fabric arrives, using the pattern to match the design, cut your patch. Remember to cut the patch a little larger and cut the opening around the distressed fabric a little smaller. This will give seam allowences and a little wiggle room when it comes to matching the fabric and securing the patch to the couch. Also, try to remove the affected area in a circle or an oval rather than a square. Believe it or not, a curve is easier to sew; the bias will work to your advantage and you won't be trying to match up perfect corners.

Once the torn fabric is removed, the new patch cut, and the needle is threaded, you are good to go. Try to raise the couch to eye height (rest it on saw horses, cement blocks, milk crates, whatever) so you can see. It is also easier to sew if you are not crouched on the floor. It will help to have a good light source available. Take the patch and work the raw edges in behind the original fabric. You want to keep it smooth and flush; adjust until the pattern matches, if necessary.

If there is batting behind the fabric, once the patch is positioned, you can hold it in place with some T-pins. If it on the outside, where it is stretched over the frame there might just be an empty space; use straight pins through the two layers of fabric.

Once the patch is in place, carefully tuck the cut edges of the couch fabric to the inside so you won't that to worry about raveling. If the fabric has that coated backing or is very thick you may not be able to do this step.

Knot the thread and run the needle from the inside of the fabric out to secure. Take little stitches picking up a few threads from the couch and from the patch on each stitch. Be careful not to pull the thread too tight. Basically you will be doing a reverse applique stitch that quilters use. The reason many quilters have trouble with applique is that they pull those stitches way too tight. Backing off on the tension will help disguise your handiwork, and this is one time you don't want people to notice your skills as a seamtress! The proof is in them not noticing! Good luck; and get the pooch to an obedience class!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,435 times
Yes you are right i am also looking for this that how i can make crafting and designing.I will manage it.

Accommodation in Edinburgh (http://budgetscot.com - broken link)

Old 04-13-2010, 06:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,588,373 times
Mom! You are a wise one, I read your post in length but will do it again as you appear to be a wealth of knowledge. There is batting behind the fabric which is gone now. I will buy the needle you suggest. The sofa is a chocolate color and no design, just one color.
I am going to reread again and answer questions I may have missed.
Thank you for taking the time, I am going to rep you but you deserve a thousand more reps!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM

SAT, what sweet words, thank you. I was taught that knowledge is useless unless you pass it on. Glad to be of help. Let me know how it turns out.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

SAT, I forgot to ask if the fabric has nap. If it is corduroy, velveteen, or any other plush fabric likely it has. Nap means that the fibers are cut so they produce a pile, just like in carpet. If you brush the fabric one direction with you hand and then in the opposite direction, and it feels and looks different, it has nap. This is important because when you cut the fabric and patch the couch the nap must being going in the same direction on both pieces. If they aren't, the light will hit the fibers differently and it will look as though you have two different colored fabrics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation