Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 10:36 PM

299 posts, read 903,677 times

Advertisements

I think Kansas City will get the next franchise that decides to relocate. They built the Sprint Center with hopes of luring an NBA or NHL franchise to town. From what I understand, they were in the running for the Seattle Supersonics, but once a man from Oklahoma City purchased the team, their hopes were dashed.

KC is a great sports town. Chiefs fans are some of the best in the NFL, and the city invested a lot of money in Kauffman Stadium for the Royals. They can support an NBA or NHL team, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
I think Houston will get one.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
When?

Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Maybe Milwaukee will get one some day...should be a decent market..

On an unrelated subject, I had a wave of nostalgia, and I decided to look up some information and videos regarding the broadcasting career of Gary Thorne. Talk about a guy who could seize the moment, and make it come alive.

"...the fans want it, here comes Kariya..shot..SCOOORE!!! OFF THE FLOOR, ON THE BOARD..PAUL KARIYA!!!!

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, calls playoff hockey, and playoff goals, like Gary Thorne.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Maybe Milwaukee will get one some day...should be a decent market..

On an unrelated subject, I had a wave of nostalgia, and I decided to look up some information and videos regarding the broadcasting career of Gary Thorne. Talk about a guy who could seize the moment, and make it come alive.

"...the fans want it, here comes Kariya..shot..SCOOORE!!! OFF THE FLOOR, ON THE BOARD..PAUL KARIYA!!!!

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, calls playoff hockey, and playoff goals, like Gary Thorne.
'Cept for Mike Lange.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
'Cept for Mike Lange.
Absolutely!

Here are some sound clips:
Mike Lange Sounds and Sound Bites

My favorite was:
Buy Sam a drink, and get his dog one too!

And a close second in my rankings:
Get In the Fastlane Grandma, Pittsburgh Penguins, Stanley Cup 2009, Mike Lange, Game 7, Sound Bite

Old 07-18-2010, 01:24 PM

423 posts, read 824,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
And in a few years the owners will be desperately looking for a buyer? Enough with Southern franchises already. Why not place a team in a more traditional hockey market?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,423 times
Being in the Western Conference... I'd like to see another team in the Pacific or Mountain time zone. That would mean either:

Portland
Seattle
San Diego (how does their minor league team draw?)
Las Vegas (I just don't see them getting a team)

or....

Salt Lake City.

Did I miss any candidates?

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 PM

423 posts, read 824,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Portland
Seattle
San Diego (how does their minor league team draw?)
Las Vegas (I just don't see them getting a team)

or....

Salt Lake City.

Did I miss any candidates?
You've named the worst possible candidates. I think hockey is even more popular in Texas and Florida, than Washington and Oregon. Why does California need another team? And Las Vegas? C'mon, it simply won't be able to compete with other forms of entertainment there, that's why all the major American leagues are reluctant to put sports teams there.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
You've named the worst possible candidates. I think hockey is even more popular in Texas and Florida, than Washington and Oregon. Why does California need another team? And Las Vegas? C'mon, it simply won't be able to compete with other forms of entertainment there, that's why all the major American leagues are reluctant to put sports teams there.
Big time wrong there....
1st US team to win the Stanley Cup was based out of Seattle.
1st US team to play for the Stanley Cup was based out of Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey