Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:48 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times

Advertisements

There are two questions I am trying to ask here. Would you like to see a new NHL team in a city that has no team, or another team in a city that already has a team.

New York City (Rangers, Islanders) and Los Angeles (Kings, Ducks) have two NHL teams. Some might even consider the New Jersey Devils part of the NYC market.

In my opinion, I would like to see one more team in the Bay Area. Yes San Jose is a good city, but what about a hockey team in San Francisco?

I also think Baltimore should have a NHL to go along with the Capitals. Maybe even another team in Minneapolis since the Wild are in St. Paul.

As far as a city that doesn’t have a team yet, I have a few in mind. Albany, New York. Salt Lake City, Utah. Maybe even New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 09:51 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
I would go with a team in Quebec City or Indianapolis. Not interested for expanding into markets with already one.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Another expansion team probably will not happen for awhile now. The push to add Seattle was to match the NFL with 32 teams. Some team owners and execs actually believed it was risky to expand into markets where Hockey was not popular. With the new TV deal along with hopefully the end of Covid that attitude has changed.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:19 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Another expansion team probably will not happen for awhile now. The push to add Seattle was to match the NFL with 32 teams. Some team owners and execs actually believed it was risky to expand into markets where Hockey was not popular. With the new TV deal along with hopefully the end of Covid that attitude has changed.
I agree. Also, the expansion fee was some crazy, exorbitant figure too. You'd really need owners with a ton of money who can make such a move. 32 is a pretty stable figure. I would guess if there is any changes, there would be relocation prior to any new expansion.

As far as a new team or two... I don't know what the territorial rights are, but Indy is a good idea. I also like Quebec for a second time, or even a second team in Toronto. They could definitely support it.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:29 PM

1,538 posts, read 866,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I agree. Also, the expansion fee was some crazy, exorbitant figure too. You'd really need owners with a ton of money who can make such a move. 32 is a pretty stable figure. I would guess if there is any changes, there would be relocation prior to any new expansion.

As far as a new team or two... I don't know what the territorial rights are, but Indy is a good idea. I also like Quebec for a second time, or even a second team in Toronto. They could definitely support it.
They won't give Toronto a second team, not when they denied it to Hamilton which is only a half-hour drive away.

Old 07-09-2021, 08:25 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Expansion is not likely but even if it were, Houston is the next location in all liklihood. At over 7 million in population (metro) and plenty of corporate support opportunity it's pretty much a no-brainer if the right owner comes to the table.

Some of you won't want to hear this but I think Atlanta will be "speculated" again at some point. You can argue about the Thrashers but how could you expect people in that town to care when the ownership group did nothing to endure them to the team and ran them into the ground and out of town in the first place? I'm not saying it will happen but with 6 million in the metro and TNT (headquartered in Atlanta) coming into the fold for TV rights, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to one day see a return of the league to the ATL.

Old 07-09-2021, 11:39 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
I'd rather see Quebec City get a team back then San Francisco or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:52 PM

389 posts, read 398,886 times
I think Houston makes sense. For a state that has 2 MLB teams, 2 NFL teams, 3 NBA teams, a second hockey team would be good.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:39 AM

231 posts, read 113,085 times
Default Canada bound

Looks like expansion is highly unlikely. The more likely scenario is that one of the sunbelt teams fail (AZ or FLA). In that case the smart option is to move the club north to the birthplace of hockey. Quebec City should be the top destination with Hamilton as a secondary option.

Old 07-13-2021, 07:17 AM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Expansion is not likely but even if it were, Houston is the next location in all liklihood. At over 7 million in population (metro) and plenty of corporate support opportunity it's pretty much a no-brainer if the right owner comes to the table.

Some of you won't want to hear this but I think Atlanta will be "speculated" again at some point. You can argue about the Thrashers but how could you expect people in that town to care when the ownership group did nothing to endure them to the team and ran them into the ground and out of town in the first place? I'm not saying it will happen but with 6 million in the metro and TNT (headquartered in Atlanta) coming into the fold for TV rights, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to one day see a return of the league to the ATL.
I highly doubt Atlanta. Not only did they lose the Thrashers, but the city lost the Flames in 1980 to Calgary. That's two teams. Why would the NHL put a third franchise there? Makes no sense.

I agree about Houston. They have MLB, NFL, and NBA. It's the fourth largest city in the USA, which many folks do not know. Fan support would definitely not be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey