Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best choice for the second expansion team in the NBA, if the NBA chooses to expand?
Mexico City 13 4.30%
Montreal 16 5.30%
San Diego 23 7.62%
Vancouver 14 4.64%
Tampa 6 1.99%
Baltimore 15 4.97%
Pittsburgh 20 6.62%
Saint Louis 42 13.91%
Las Vegas 53 17.55%
Austin 23 7.62%
Kansas City 36 11.92%
Louisville 15 4.97%
Raleigh 4 1.32%
Richmond 4 1.32%
Virginia Beach/Norfolk 13 4.30%
Omaha 5 1.66%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 02:51 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

The NBA is working out the details to their new CBA agreements and contract. Afterwards, it is said that the NBA could possibly look in the direction of expanding the league by 2 teams (to keep the number of teams in each conference at parity).

According to some sources with preliminary ideas of the expanding process, it is likely that Seattle is a lock to get one of the teams (as it should be), but there is significant interest between several cities for the second expansion team. If both expansion teams end up in the western half of North America, it is believed that one of the teams in the Western Conference will be moved to the Eastern Conference (probably either Memphis or New Orleans), otherwise no realignment is required if one team is expanded in the west and another in the east.

There is some movement with this, apparently we'll have a clear idea sometime between December to February if the NBA ultimately decides to expand in the interim period.
Quote:
I've heard that once the CBA is finished, the expansion bidding could be announced as soon as December or as late as the All-Star Game in February. There are going to be numerous other cities competing with Seattle to get the expansion franchises as well. I do not know if there is just going to be one slot or two. Other cities I've heard that are going to be making a play for expansion are Louisville (they have all their affairs in order and ready to go), Pittsburgh, Omaha, Las Vegas, Vancouver, BC, and Mexico City. Kansas City and St. Louis have been brought up as well, but I can't confirm the validity of their interest.

With NBA expansion rumored, a look at the pros, cons and prospective cities - CBSSports.com
On the poll, I'll list all of the cities that are mentioned in the article as speculated choices, and I'll also add a few other names of cities that don't have an NBA team but could be in the running for one anyways.

I'll leave Seattle out of the poll, if the NBA does expand, Seattle is pretty much an airtight lock to get an expansion team (and hopefully they'll bring back the SuperSonics name and colors).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 02:52 PM

895 posts, read 1,240,618 times
Austin, Texas
Nashville

Nah I don't know. I just wish we could get an NFL or NHL team here in Austin.. lucky Vegas.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:56 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Kansas City makes sense.
Louisville/UK will fight a team in Louisville.
Omaha is pretty small, and why fight NHL teams in Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Las Vegas if you don't have too?

Old 10-16-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
and why fight NHL teams in Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Las Vegas if you don't have too?
Well typically the cities that have an NHL team but don't have an NBA team are ready made for the NBA, since in most cases NBA teams usually share the same venue as the NHL team.

To professional sports leagues, the venue is one of the more crucial aspects to whether or not they deem the market fit for expansion. You absolutely need to have your act together with regards to either having or constructing a suitable arena for the team to play in prior to being awarded an expansion team. The cities that have an NBA-caliber arena already in place have an easier track to getting a team. Again, typically NHL and NBA share the same arena/venue, so any city with an NHL team can more or less also handle an NBA team.

In fact, Seattle's case for an NHL expansion team is that developer Chris Hansen is (going to be) building an arena to lure an NBA team to Seattle, therefore an expanded NHL team can just share that arena with the NBA team when/if the venue is ready for occupancy.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:04 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Well typically the cities that have an NHL team but don't have an NBA team are ready made for the NBA, since in most cases NBA teams usually share the same venue as the NHL team.

To professional sports leagues, the venue is one of the more crucial aspects to whether or not they deem the market fit for expansion. You absolutely need to have your act together with regards to either having or constructing a suitable arena for the team to play in prior to being awarded an expansion team. The cities that have an NBA-caliber arena already in place have an easier track to getting a team. Again, typically NHL and NBA share the same arena/venue, so any city with an NHL team can more or less also handle an NBA team.

In fact, Seattle's case for an NHL expansion team is that developer Chris Hansen is building an arena to lure an NBA team to Seattle, therefore an expanded NHL team can just share that arena with the NBA team when/if the venue is ready for occupancy.
Kansas City has the Sprint Center, with a capacity of 18,951, so ready made arena+ no winter competition=good city.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:07 PM

Oh, I forgot to put "a second Chicago team" as a poll option. That's another very popular idea that's been circulating the last week or so since it was initially reported that the NBA is looking into possibly expanding soon.

That's not my idea (and I don't agree with it), by the way, but just something that's been tossed around quite a lot as an option the last week.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:27 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times
In terms of current market size, future market size, and no nearby franchises, San Diego or Las Vegas.

Good to see more NBA teams. Love the sport, have always hated the high percentage of making the playoffs, makes so many reg season games feel less important.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:29 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,965 times
Definitely San Diego, other than Seattle it's the largest metro to not have one in the U.S.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:42 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Kansas City for sure. The best arena without an NBA team already and a basketball crazed area.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:00 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,874,754 times
I wouldn't call Seattle a lock. Getting an arena approved still means a lot of politics and questions at city council. And a public vote wouldn't be easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City