Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:30 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
ATLANTA?

Based on what, may I ask?

Ownership group in turmoil......been in court for 2 years battling it out over who actually has control. None of them have the first clue about the sport of hockey.

Worst GM in the NHL. Don Waddell has NEVER drafted and developed any decent defenseman, centers or goaltenders, and yes that includes the HUGE bust that is Kari Lehtonen. He's seen 2 superstar forwards jump ship (Heatley & Hossa), with a 3rd (Kovalchuk) already making noise about leaving as soon as his contract is up. He actually did something right in signing Marc Savard, then blatantly let him walk after he blossomed into one of the greatest playmaking centers in the league, leaving the star forwards with no one to get them the puck. Drafted Braydon Coburn with the idea that he would be a top pairing d-man eventually, then labled him a bust after he had only played a handful of games in Atlanta, then traded him to the Flyers, where he quickly became a solid contributor on a team that reinvented itself after a horrible season in '06-'07. Consistently signs, trades for, and overpays BUMS such as Alexi Zhitnik, Bobby Holik, Todd White, Damian Rhodes, Nic Havelid, Eric Perrin, Greg DeVries, Jaroslav Modry....my God, the list is endless! Fired Bob Hartley, the only coach to guide this team into the postseason, after only 6 games last season.

This team went from its first playoff birth (which took 7 years to happen) to being one of the worst teams in the NHL in one season. Please list some reasons why you think they're gonna be better in '08-'09, because there is absolutely no evidence to support that statement.
Okay dude, first off, this is just a guess, for fun. Im no Hockey expert. But I'll try to do my best in answering your question.

1. Notice how I said most surprising team in the EAST. Philadelphia and Boston, two teams that were horrible in 06-07, made the playoffs this year, and Philly went to the ECF. So they wouldnt be much of a surprise if they made it back this year, unless one of the two gets a top spot in the east at the end of the year, which I dont see happening this year.

2. There arent too many teams in the east to choose from in the category "Most surprising team in the east for 08-09" anyway. Cant pick Washington, they've got high expectations to do good this season, their days of cellar-dwellers are probably over for awhile. Buffalo will probably dissapoint again.

3. Im pretty much left with Toronto, NY Islanders, Florida, and Atlanta. I think Toronto and NY will probably end up where they did last year.

Isnt Hossa coming back? I thought that was part of the deal. Maybe not? maybe he's sticking with Pittsburgh.

Anyway, hope that explains everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Lets make some predictions here:

Most surprising team in the East for 08-09?--- Florida or Atlanta, the Panthers are overdue for a playoff spot, and the Thrashers should get better this year.

Most dissapointing team in east?- I've have to pick the Flyers

Most surprisng team in the west?--- Blackhawks should finally get in the playoffs this year. I think Columbus will compete for a spot as well.

Most dissapointing team in west?--- probably will be San Jose, they've had a Stanley Cup caliber team for a few years now, and they might be picked to win it again,but they might be struggling to get in this year.

Coach on the hot seat---Peter Laviolette
I'll give it a go.

Most surprising in East :Hopefully the Islanders. Got grittier and younger at end of year. Rash of injuries on D made some prospects get valuable playing time. Maybe trade bait.

Most disappointing in East : Rangers. Without Jagr, will Dubinski be the next Rob Brown? Think they have become complacent under Renney, and it looks iffy for Avery's return

Surprising in West ; Chicago the kids are playing well

Disappointing: Detroit for the regular season. Stanley Cup hangover. Will still be dangerous in the playoffs

Coach on hot seat: Renney

Old 06-14-2008, 06:22 PM

^ Im not sure, but I believe Avery wants to come back. He has said that he's enjoyed his time in New York. But time will tell.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:40 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
^ Im not sure, but I believe Avery wants to come back. He has said that he's enjoyed his time in New York. But time will tell.
From what I've read in the NY Post, Sather has been playing hardball with him for some reason. Some think Sather would rather spend the $ on Orpik and Malone. Rangers are desperate for some muscle upfront and on the D. I also think Sather was pissed at Avery for the whole thing against Brodeur in the playoffs.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:06 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,923,634 times
Rather than individually reply to some of you who replied to me, I'll just say it's remarkable that most of us root for different teams. But pretty much we're all united in disliking Bettman and some of the rules and liking some of the recent rule changes (such as no 2-line passes and shootouts after OT). If anyone in the NHL is listening, look at what your fans are saying here!!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Rather than individually reply to some of you who replied to me, I'll just say it's remarkable that most of us root for different teams. But pretty much we're all united in disliking Bettman and some of the rules and liking some of the recent rule changes (such as no 2-line passes and shootouts after OT). If anyone in the NHL is listening, look at what your fans are saying here!!
I aslo like that most of us dont root for the same team. A little diversity doesnt hurt anyone. I used to belong to a defunct forum that seemed to only have bandwagoner fans of all the winning teams, and of course, they knew very little about their own team.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I'll give it a go.

Most surprising in East :Hopefully the Islanders. Got grittier and younger at end of year. Rash of injuries on D made some prospects get valuable playing time. Maybe trade bait.

Most disappointing in East : Rangers. Without Jagr, will Dubinski be the next Rob Brown? Think they have become complacent under Renney, and it looks iffy for Avery's return

Surprising in West ; Chicago the kids are playing well

Disappointing: Detroit for the regular season. Stanley Cup hangover. Will still be dangerous in the playoffs

Coach on hot seat: Renney
I agree with you on Detroit, I think someone else will win the Presidents trophy this year. The playoffs, its too early to tell but one never knows which Red wing team shows up in the playoffs, they look promising one year and suddenly theyre out in the 1st round. The next the win the whole thing.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:50 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,272 times
All I gotta say is beating the Flyers 6-0 in Game 5 would have been worth getting swept in the finals. Go Pens!!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:02 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:

Isnt Hossa coming back? I thought that was part of the deal. Maybe not? maybe he's sticking with Pittsburgh.
Part of what deal? They traded him for a couple guys and a prospect, end of story. He's a UFA now, but the last team he would sign with is Atlanta. He came out and said he didn't like the direction they were headed in, and that he wants to win a Cup......why on earth would he go back there? As for Pittsburgh, there's little chance of him staying there with all the young stars they have that they're gonna have to break the bank to keep over the next few years.

I lived in Atlanta during the first 7 years of that teams existence......I'm telling you, they are a train wreck that no decent player or coach wants anything to do with. As soon as Kovalchuk's contract is up he is out of there, mark my words.........that is, unless he forces a trade before then, which wouldn't suprise me either.

....and I'm still waiting for some reasons why you think Atlanta will improve. You mentioned a bunch of other up & down teams, but what does that have to do with the Thrashers? What do you see going on inside that organization that makes you think they'll be better this year?

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 06-15-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 06-15-2008, 11:01 AM

Well Northman, like I said, I did this for fun okay? Im not a hockey expert, I dont know what goes on in the teams, this was just for fun. Since you say you lived in Atlanta and seem to know more about them than I do, I'll believe what you said and I'll say that maybe the Thrashers will stink up the league this year. As a Canes fan, I actually wouldnt mind seeing that.

Last edited by Canes2006Champs; 06-15-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey