Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

For TV and marketing purposes, the NHL will probably but Washington in it next year, but having it in Washington? Folks there hardly play hockey on ponds (it's too warm) and you could have a good chance of 40 plus degrees and rain on 1/1.
Next logical choice IMO, would be Minnesota, even if you don't have a historical venue. It's more for the tradition of pond and outdoor hockey there, that would be the attraction.
New York? Yankee Stadium maybe, but you may have the same weather issues as Washington.
One of these days, except for Minnesota and maybe Chicago, I wouldn't be surprised if a classic got rained out.
So my idea, would be Washington vs. the Wild next year, in TCF stadium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,745 times
i'd see one without Washington. i hate Ovechkin. Minnesota and Calgary would be nice.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:51 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,193,788 times
Wow, I'm looking at the back page of the sports section of the Boston Sunday Herald, a page devoted to school sports, and it's a photo of another hockey game at Fenway last night...a high school game! Winthrop vs. Marblehead. Never heard about it. How wonderful! The small area of seats visible in the photo looks rather full.

And the BU-BC game was sold out on Friday night; small snowflakes near the start of the game! Heard that some seats were $90, some bleacher seats $50, some seats over $90 (I think...but hard to believe). Those prices were too high, but supposedly not, according to the attendance. Not sure what the cheapest tix could have been.

And today is the second of two Sundays for public skating, but winners selected thru a lottery. Some tix were scalped online for hundreds of dollars (up to $1600 or so for four?). Not sure if anybody actually paid that. Mayor was outraged because tix were to be for Boston residents only.

But what a month for hockey and Fenway.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Yeah Buffalo did some stuff with the rink at the Ralph before they took it down. Public skating and stuff. admission went to the Sabres Foundations. which is a charitable group of the Sabres

Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
It's a given but I absolutely love the Winter Classic.

Pretty funny attempt at an outdoor game in '91 - Kings / Rangers.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
It's a given but I absolutely love the Winter Classic.

Pretty funny attempt at an outdoor game in '91 - Kings / Rangers.
i was watching that at my cousins house on Christmas league. His family gets all those channels. It was weird. It was outside Caesar's Palace in Vegas right?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:16 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,188 times
Hey, jazzy jeff - I think you're right. It was outside Caesar's.

I'm pretty sure they also tried a Kings / Avs outdoor Forzen Fury in Vegas but I can't find anything online. I just remember the goalies complaining about all the bugs.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Hey, jazzy jeff - I think you're right. It was outside Caesar's.

I'm pretty sure they also tried a Kings / Avs outdoor Forzen Fury in Vegas but I can't find anything online. I just remember the goalies complaining about all the bugs.

Almost 20 years ago. I was in Kuwait:

1991-1992 N.H.L. SEASON - 1991-1992 N.H.L. SEASON; Gamble Works: Rangers Play In Las Vegas - NYTimes.com

Next year - how about Florida at Phoenix?

Kidding aside, NYR vs. Toronto at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field (I hate Citi for screwing the taxpayers) would be an awesome Winter Classic, and would clear the O Six. Then we could get to the Expansion Six, including my Blues

Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
I can truly see a Minnesota vs St. Louis to be honest. It just has to be done.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Almost 20 years ago. I was in Kuwait:

1991-1992 N.H.L. SEASON - 1991-1992 N.H.L. SEASON; Gamble Works: Rangers Play In Las Vegas - NYTimes.com

Next year - how about Florida at Phoenix?

Kidding aside, NYR vs. Toronto at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field (I hate Citi for screwing the taxpayers) would be an awesome Winter Classic, and would clear the O Six. Then we could get to the Expansion Six, including my Blues
ok sweet yeah i saw on one of those NHL channels and Florida and Phoenix? I would pay to see that no lie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey