Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 AM

17 posts, read 44,297 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, it has been long enough that our guest bedroom has been beyond nasty; the cabinets are warped, chipped, and ugly, the brass fixtures are outdated, just as the whole bathroom is. This bathroom is in need of a complete makeover. The cabinet doors will be swapped, wallpaper will turn to pant, floor and shower tiles are going, tile countertop will be replaced with granite, new sinks and faucets will go in, and whatever else I can do to make improvements. The only problems I am having are the design choices, I have a found a picture of a bathroom that looks really great (posted below), and I am thinking of basing my design around that, but I just can't make up my mind!!! There is really no budget on this project, and I will be doing most of the labor with myself and a few buddies, this project will be the fifth bath that I have done myself. I just really need some insight from someone with an eye for design.

Desired outcome

Bathroom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,916 times
I am not a designer, but here are a few suggestions you might consider. I hope they help.

1.Use large, large tiles for the bathroom floor. Less ugly grout lines, cleaner look overall. Remember to do thin grouting between tiles. In some countries they are very thin and so beautiful, in my opinion. It is a detail, but it makes a tremendous difference.
2.If you are going to install a shower, the other day I saw one on tv that had many pebble-like stones on the floor area; very beautiful result and quite unusual.
3.Do not install fixed mirrors. Use beautiful statement mirror(s) instead. If you don't like it/them, you can replace it/them easily and, along with a new coat of paint, freshen up your bathroom without spending a lot.
4.Consider marble instead of granite. I have said many times here, in some places granite is so ordinary... it is abundant and has no allure at all. Especially if it a small area, consider marble, which is truly unique! Just remember, being natural stone, no two slabs are alike, so choose carefully and in person.
5.Consider open shelves in some areas instead of all closed cabinetry, which make the place seem smaller and boxed.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:33 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Desired outcome
Absolutely LOVE this look. Classic elegance with a Craftsman/Shaker look to it.

Are you planning on keeping the bathing area a tub?

I would go for a beautiful, large shower with bench seating instead of a tub.

Love the floor tile. In the shower area, go for a larger tile in the same color family.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Make sure you tear down to the studs. You never know what is behind the walls....mold, moisture, etc.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM

17 posts, read 44,297 times
How hard/ what would it take to rip out the tub and make a full shower?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Are you going to do the work yourself - from ripping to finish tiling?

Have you done tiling before?

Have you worked with this product;

Schluter Systems - Homepage - Schluter-Systems

Looking again at the existing shower area - you could take the tub out and put a shower pan in (or look at the system on the link), re-tile, etc, try and keep the original space without expanding it - which is more work and money. But you'll still have to take it to the studs.

You could also bring in a pro to do a mud shower floor.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:34 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Don't keep the cabinets. This is a gut to the studs type of remodel. It shouldn't be too bad if you've done it before, but isn't an average DIY project. If you are not familiar, this could turn into a disaster.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,066,456 times
I like the look you've picked.
I can't really tell from the picture but it looks like your vanity/toilet area is large enough to do one of two things.
1. Keep the linen storage, possibly move it to the center as in the first picture to make two distinct sink areas, each with their own mirror. Get new cabinets. Make the sinks symmetrical in the space so instead of having drawers-vanity-drawers-vanity change to vanity, drawers, vanity. Above the drawers would be the linen cabinet. Keep the toilet as is.

2. Eliminate the linen storage and enclose the toilet. Not sure how much this matters in a guest bath but you might be able to fit it. What is the ledge to the left of the toilet...is that enclosing piping or duct work?

I like the Schluter system...we're doing a bathroom with it right now. I wish we had known about it when we did our other bathrooms and tile work.

If you don't need to keep the tub I'd make a walk-in shower and make it the same depth as the surround wall is now. Otherwise the tub seems in good shape.

If you are going with light cabinets be careful of the tile color...don't go too dark or too light. A nice medium color will add enough contrast.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
You said the cabinets are warped, chipped and otherwise junk and all you want to do is put on new doors when in the next sentence you said you have no budget? I'm lost I mean I am lost.

But let me clear that up. Most people at the mere mention of the word "cabinets" grow dollar signs in their eyeballs. That is mostly because the Home Junkpo society of mindset has won over the gullible public. Good marketing can capture even smart minds I guess. And since the big orange who only wants your little green are rapists, most people think of their prices as gospel. NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget about the criminals. Most small kitchen showrooms discount heavy from list price or MSRP which is what the big box stores charge.

Your best bet is to hire a professional Interior Designer. They can take the whole job from start to finish or you can just pay them a flat consulting fee to set you on your way to doing it all yourself with your own contractors.

Tear that old junk out. What's there like 8 lineal feet of cabinets? New doors and drawer faces only would be like putting a nice clean pressed suit on a dirty filthy man who is wearing soiled underware. Nothing and no excuse is more accurate then that.

I will see if I can post a pic or more for you for some ideas. Ideas that do not cost a mint.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Consider marble instead of granite. I have said many times here, in some places granite is so ordinary... it is abundant and has no allure at all. Especially if it a small area, consider marble, which is truly unique!
The reason you don't see marble used much in kitchens and bathrooms is that many marbles are porous and can be stained by water. Although granite is common, the reason it is used so often is that it is much more appropriate for use in areas where you KNOW it is going to get wet.

I love marble but its use for kitchen and bathroom countertops is pretty limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating