Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM

507 posts, read 2,299,370 times

Advertisements

The op wanted to see the colors together in a pic and thats what I found for her. I don't mean to soud snide but.... How do you know that "most folks" cannot tolerate gold colors, have you took a world wide survey? Just because you shudder at the many variations of gold, doesn't mean that everyone does. Take a look at all the decorating magazines or tv shows where they are redecorating a room, and you will find those golden hues are very popular, and they're not just being used as an accent color. It all depends on what one likes and the one that has to live with their chosen colors that matters, no one else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 PM

61,870 posts, read 87,339,575 times
OP... we need a picture! It is very hard to talk about colors when you cannot see the "whole setting"...

Old 07-20-2010, 05:10 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,321,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyshooz View Post
I was all set to paint my dining room gold -- "Autumn Moon" until my DD pointed out that our hardwood floors are pretty much that same shade.

Would this look terrible? Anyone have photos of similar wall and hardwood floor colors?
Sounds like it would seem too "Vegas."

Old 07-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyshooz View Post
I was all set to paint my dining room gold -- "Autumn Moon" until my DD pointed out that our hardwood floors are pretty much that same shade.

Would this look terrible? Anyone have photos of similar wall and hardwood floor colors?
Not sure what you mean with gold: gold shade of yellow paint, or real gold shiny like metallic paint?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/i...-paints-074601
http://www.genuinestyle.net/tuscan-d...covered-walls/

Last edited by elnina; 07-20-2010 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: more links added

Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,064,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
The op wanted to see the colors together in a pic and thats what I found for her. I don't mean to soud snide but.... How do you know that "most folks" cannot tolerate gold colors, have you took a world wide survey? Just because you shudder at the many variations of gold, doesn't mean that everyone does. Take a look at all the decorating magazines or tv shows where they are redecorating a room, and you will find those golden hues are very popular, and they're not just being used as an accent color. It all depends on what one likes and the one that has to live with their chosen colors that matters, no one else
Excellent point - some people make such sweeping, all-knowing statements sometimes without anything to back up their crazy claims. I agree about looking at decorating magazines and books for many examples of luxurious and fabulous rooms with gold walls. Gold walls are classic.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 22,966 times
It's me, the OP again! The "gold" I have in mind is much closer to the one in the photo posted by TnHoneypot, just a little bit darker.

I'm trying to post a photo, but not having much luck. Trying again:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-21-2010, 01:30 PM

3 posts, read 22,966 times
Hey it worked! So here's the other side:

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,600,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
On the first link ^ I like the gold tones.

On the second one - the color is too dark and overpowers the room IMO.

I like golds but it depends on the tone for me.

We have honey colored wood floors and have a beige cream color on the walls- keeps everything light and bright.

Have fun OP!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:12 PM

I agree with gold*dust1: gold tones will do the magic and make your dining room inviting, bright, warm and cozy. The white trims will just add to the beauty...

Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,064,532 times
I think the gold walls in the 2nd picture that honeypot posted are beautiful - there is no furniture or art and there are no accessories in that picture so of course the paint it is the dominant element in the picture.

Here is Laura Ashley Gold #3 with wood floors. The gold and crisp white trim is gorgeous together and notice how the gold warms up the space. Many shades of gold paint look great with most other colors. I like to paint my rooms colors that allow me to bring almost any color into the room - gives me a lot of flexibility when redecorating.

diningroom8a2.jpg (image)

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-21-2010 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating