Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 10:06 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
... or you know, just people who like the open spaces. It works great for a typical single family home layout, particularly a small house like mine, which is not even remotely "stark minimalist."
Ditto!

It does encourage me to keep things tidied up, since there aren't a lot of stray corners to hide things in. But that is a far cry from stark minimalism!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,077,437 times
Well, I started "opening up" our floor plan over the past few weeks and the results so far are encouraging. The house had a lot of drop ceilings and soffits in various rooms. The original reason for removing them was sealing air gaps, improving insulation and repairing water damage - but once the work was under way it was unmistakable that the rooms felt larger. Square footage feels bigger without the cost of adding on. The original floor plan won't change a whole lot, but removing bulky built ins and unnecessarily large partitions frees up another 5-10% of square footage and makes the space more usable.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 940 times
Default I hate open house plans, too!!

I love to look at model homes and remodels, but I am getting sooooo sick of open floor plans. When there are so few walls to define areas, decorating needs to be rather boring to not impede the visual flow. It kind of reminds me of my old church basement---one big expanse of a neutral color with functional areas defined by tables and chairs. NEVER did that basement feel warm and inviting---no more than a high school basketball court.

When I think about my fond memories of the homes I've lived in, I remember distinctive rooms that had individual personality created by defined space, interesting wallpaper and unique furnishings. I remember home libraries with dark paneling, oak tables with burgundy upholstered chairs, cuckoo clocks and lush tapestry drapery. I remember kitchens with defined walls, contrast-color chair rails and walk-in pantries with pastry-making countertops where I didn't feel like I needed to clean as I was creating---where I felt cocooned in the warmth of old-fashioned gas ovens and yellow-ruffled curtains on the windows. I loved my father's study with its french doors that I could close behind me---where I could study in peace to get those good grades---even with all those deer heads staring at me from the deep green walls. I loved the heat strips along the floor in that cozy room where I would rest and warm my feet as I did my homework. I remember my piano room with the blue peacock wallpaper and oriental rug---where I could close the door and practice trills, runs and repetitious exercises without irritating anyone. I loved my bright pink bedroom in the attic with the slanted roof and the warm furnace wall---where I placed my bed so I would be warm on cold Wisconsin nights. THERE IS NO SUCH THING anymore!!! It's all about sleek homogeneity (boring decorating) and letting it all hang out. YUCK!!

I look across the street at night, and through the living room window I can see that they still haven't cleared the dinner table. To me, it's kind of like not wearing a slip under a sheer dress---not everything should be in view. No one needs to see everything that is going on in a house, like no one has to see everything going on underneath my dress.

I look at the videos of houses for sale, but I don't look for long. Same old, same old. One room is very much like the next, and you can expect white, beige or gray.

You are NOT the only one who doesn't see the appeal of an old church basement.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGirl77 View Post
I love houses without open floorplans i like walls. I love hanging pictures and decor and having lots of walls to put them on! I do like kitchens that have a "window" into the living room. Just a small space i can see out. But yes i like my walls lol now what i can't figure out is all the people who complain about popcorn ceilings. What a first world problem. Do people really get upset about this? I don't even look at the ceiling that much. I've lived in houses with and without them. I just don't get it.
Popcorn ceiling looks dirty to me. When we scraped it off our kitchen, dining room, and living room, the rooms looked cleaner. I realize it's a first world problem, but so what? I don't like it.

I also don't like open concept. I love having an eat-in kitchen, but I want doors between rooms so I can close them off.

I've seen homes where the only separate rooms are the bedroom and bathroom. Would never work for us. I could not stand having my husband underfoot every second. I'd be up on murder charges before the month was out.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
There are pros and cons and the last 3 places I've had, and first home I bought have open kitchens, it's not a modern thing, it's a space saving thing. I don't like it but in small spaces it's better than a tight galley kitchen. The thing I do like is that I can see the TV in the living room from the kitchen or dining table. The thing I don't like is that guest can also see everything including any mess in the kitchen.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:28 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I am looking to buy a 1970 home without an open floor plan. I hate them also. The kitchen is in its own little area and doesn't look out into the living room, family room, etc. just the way I like it. Who wants to walk in and see a kitchen first thing?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:35 AM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I'm not a fan of the open floor plan. I keep thinking it must be difficult to decorate with no walls and there is no where to hang your artwork.

I do love a big country kitchen with room for a family dinner table. You never see those any more. But I want the rest of the house to be separate from the kitchen.

You know what else you very rarely see any more, is a separate laundry room, with washer dryer hook-ups and a big utility sink, and a place to hang clothes and keep the ironing board. OK, I don't iron anymore, but it would be nice to have that usable space to do laundry.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not a fan of the open floor plan. I keep thinking it must be difficult to decorate with no walls and there is no where to hang your artwork.

I do love a big country kitchen with room for a family dinner table. You never see those any more. But I want the rest of the house to be separate from the kitchen.

You know what else you very rarely see any more, is a separate laundry room, with washer dryer hook-ups and a big utility sink, and a place to hang clothes and keep the ironing board. OK, I don't iron anymore, but it would be nice to have that usable space to do laundry.
I do miss having a laundry room.

And I love a big country kitchen.

But when we sit down to watch TV or visit with friends or read a book, I don't want to be doing it in the kitchen.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:45 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
My grandmothers newish house (2008) has a somewhat open floor plan. What I don't like about it is that her bedroom door is right off the kitchen, so if she doesn't close her bedroom door someone can stand in her kitchen and look right at her bed. I prefer all bedroom and bathroom doors to be down a hallway.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:09 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I'm not one of them uber picky types who has to have floorplans a certain way.. you know those silly people that re-purpose a garage and turn it into a living space... spend lots of money on something people will hate when you try to sell...

most cookie cutter houses are designed well enough for my liking... kitchen and living room close to each other, bedrooms and bathrooms down a hallway.. I don't have to see my living room from the kitchen and am not going to tear out a bunch of walls to make it so.

I care more about stuff being up to modern codes... electrical, insulation, and the like... and being relatively neat and clutter free (hoarders be gone)

I do think about what might affect resale value (having separate bedrooms on their own floor) and managed to buy a ranch with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths on the main floor for a good price, with just as much room in the semi finished basement, so I'm pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating