Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:01 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Having no wall space is a disadvantage if you enjoy collecting art.
As it is if you have an upright piano. Still working on that. It's currently in a very awkward location where the back is exposed, and may end up getting moved to the lower level guest area. But the natural light is great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 07:54 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,003 times
Open layouts are lame. Noisy and no privacy. Smells carry throughout the whole house. Each room should be its own division that serves its own purposes. Not one giant room. Big houses built before the 50s were really cool. They always had these hallways everywhere and different areas of the house to explore. Closed layout is better.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
I don't care much for the open wall between the kitchen and living area, too busy and noisy. I do rather like an open counter bar top separating the two though, it just comes in handy.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:03 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Open layouts are lame. Noisy and no privacy. Smells carry throughout the whole house. Each room should be its own division that serves its own purposes. Not one giant room. Big houses built before the 50s were really cool. They always had these hallways everywhere and different areas of the house to explore. Closed layout is better.

See, this is the problem. You have an opinion, which is fine, but then you use that opinion to be insulting, which is not. Open floor plans are not "lame" and closed off layouts are not better for everyone. You want privacy, go to your bedroom or bathroom (depending on what you need privacy for. I'm not having sexytime in the middle of the kitchen during a party...maybe you are). Noisy? There's only two of us in the house much of the time. It's quiet regardless of layout. And when the house does have people in it, when we are cooking everyone gathers in the kitchen anyhow, so what's the difference if it's its own room with all of us crammed in there, or an open concept where we have room to stand/sit around and converse? For me, the latter is actually "better." So you and others like you can be as insulting as you like, but I'll remind you of that every chance I get.

I've been saving up money, and this is what I want to do to my house's first floor. It's not very big and the walls that are there get in the way:
Attached Thumbnails
Don't like Open Floor Plans.  Anyone else like me?-firstfloor034.jpg   Don't like Open Floor Plans.  Anyone else like me?-firstfloor036.jpg   Don't like Open Floor Plans.  Anyone else like me?-firstfloor035.jpg   Don't like Open Floor Plans.  Anyone else like me?-firstfloor033.jpg  

Old 04-27-2019, 04:48 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
^ Agreed. And I think that layout looks like it gives you a lot more usable space

Old 02-17-2024, 07:43 PM

371 posts, read 361,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't know why folks with open floor plans don't have many chairs. I think it is because with open concept you don't have a dining room and a breakfast area as these functions are combined. Often no living room and TV room as these areas are combined. There is usually some sort of sectional, maybe a recliner, and some dining chairs scattered about. That's generally it.

Whereas our friend's's home has a sofa and several recliners in the living room, also in the TV room downstairs. There are chairs around the breakfast table and also in the dining room. Ditto on the screen porch.

Open concept homes could certainly bring in more seating, I just haven't seen it.
With an open plan, you'd have a dozen chairs just sitting empty, and that would look strange. But a closed plan might have four rooms, each with three chairs, making a dozen. that would look like a normal house, not a chair warehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating