Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 AM

13 posts, read 15,992 times

Advertisements

I moved into an apartment that has a rectangle shaped living and dining room combined.

Size of living room: 144 sq feet (12w x 12l)
Size of dining room: 84 sq feet (7w x 12l)
Total size: 228 sq feet

I have a couch, chair and ottoman, coffee table, TV, tv stand and just bought a floor lamp from Ikea.

Other than a dining room table, what else could I add to make it look more homey and less empty.

any ideas?

Help with what to do with living / dining room-img00103.jpg

Help with what to do with living / dining room-img00104.jpg

Help with what to do with living / dining room-img00105.jpg

Help with what to do with living / dining room-img00106.jpg

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Last edited by huskydawgs; 02-16-2011 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 AM

30,530 posts, read 16,226,596 times
not sure if it's real or just the photos but it looks bland to me, and I do so hate nekkid walls!

Get a few pictures of some kind, or one big one, with lots of color. Don't know what your budget is but I've seen some fairly decent paintings at local thrift stores. Yea, okay, nothing that'd hang in the Louvre but just find something you like.

Maybe some pillows for the sofa?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
Definitely some color. Nice throw blanket, pillows, accessories. A window treatment. Also watch scale and proportion amd height. You want to create visual interest. Now the eye focuses at the largest piece the sofa, which is low. Bring in a piece with height to balance and draw the eye. A nice area rug to anchor the seating arramgemdnt and pop sone color. The coffee table is out of scale with the sofa...maybe centering it and doing am area rug will help it look more balanced. A larger piece of artwork centered over the sofa.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 PM

My budget isn't much.

Trying to save up for a dining table.

So frames pictures would be the best huh? I wonder if Overstock has something.

Any other suggestions?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:48 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskydawgs View Post
My budget isn't much.

Any other suggestions?
ivana had a good suggestion with the area rug. My wife introduced me to how necessary and wonderful an area rug can be. In open spaces like yours it really helps pull the room together and define the space.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Thanks.

Where would I go for an area rug? Ikea or Target or Overstock?

Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM

I would like a simple, yet modern looking place with an asian influence.

I just picked up this ORGEL VRETEN floor lamp from Ikea yesterday.

IKEA | Lighting | Floor lamps | ORGEL VRETEN | Floor lamp (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70195495 - broken link)

Will put it next to the couch

Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM

5,279 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Well- first you can send me the Eames chair....

If you can run a cable line- I'd move the TV to the sofa wall and the sofa to the tv wall. Flanking the tv with shelves/cabinets/cheapo Ikea canvas art will help fill the space. Is there room to place the chair/ottoman beyond the door. I think simply having everything grouped will go a long way.

Also there is no shame in a cheapy table/chairs from your parent's attic/Target/Walmart/etc. I had better luck with that and replacing later than with buying 'as nice as I could afford at the time but not what I wanted' items. And if a table is too crappy looking you can always toss a table cloth on it and surround it with decent chairs. (Just don't buy cheap upholstered chairs.)

Old 02-16-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Well- first you can send me the Eames chair....

If you can run a cable line- I'd move the TV to the sofa wall and the sofa to the tv wall. Flanking the tv with shelves/cabinets/cheapo Ikea canvas art will help fill the space. Is there room to place the chair/ottoman beyond the door. I think simply having everything grouped will go a long way.

Also there is no shame in a cheapy table/chairs from your parent's attic/Target/Walmart/etc. I had better luck with that and replacing later than with buying 'as nice as I could afford at the time but not what I wanted' items. And if a table is too crappy looking you can always toss a table cloth on it and surround it with decent chairs. (Just don't buy cheap upholstered chairs.)
Haha, I love the Eames chair.

Thanks for suggestion about moving the furniture around. Unfortunately, I can't switch the sofa and the TV because the Wall Heater is in the way (meaning the couch is too long for that wall).

What do you mean beyond the door for the chair/ottoman?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskydawgs View Post
My budget isn't much.

Any other suggestions?
Can you paint?

Find a picture you really love that coordinates with your couch a bit and then take your color cues from that for wall paint and accessories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating