Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:22 PM

149 posts, read 326,351 times

Advertisements

Sorry to burst your bubble but 2500 sq ft is a lot of painting. You will be excited when you do room one and two then it starts to get tiring. after we painted 3 rooms my niece and I did the basement and felt like it kept getting bigger the more I painted.
If you are going to do it spread it out don't try to do it all at once like I did. try and take your time.
But if you hire someone to do it make sure they do it right if someone painted over my switch covers or door hinges I would be very upset.
The quote you mentioned sounds pretty average.
I say all this but I just painted my master bath a few months ago and when I was done I loved it : )
btw purdy paint brushes are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
I am thinking of getting the house painted before i move-in.
You have the usual first-time homebuyer disease that makes you think everything must be perfect before you move in the first box. Drop that notion right now. Your house is and always will be a work in progress.

While painting all the rooms first makes sense on paper, in practice it's ridiculous. That's a big house; surely you can save a few of the rooms for after you've moved in.

Quote:
I am wondering, If i can do that myself ?
Of course you can. Painting is the easiest thing in the world to do; I've been painting rooms since I was 12. It's tedious, yes; difficult, no. Do you know anyone who's experienced at painting their own house that could help you out? Have a painting party; it's fun and makes the job go that much faster.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,592 times
Ohiogirl is right. It is tedious, but I love saying I did it myself. I usually ask a friend to come over and help and it makes the time go faster. All my brushes are purdy brushes. They last forever if you CLEAN them. Also, I often find I have to stop while painting (I have 2 boys). I tightly wrap my paint brushes in plastic wrap or a plastic bag until I can get back to it. I also put a layer of plastic wrap over my tray as well.

Personally, I wouldn't do more than one room a weekend or do a room every other day. The amount you were quoted for painting seems to be a good rate at least in my area. If you have to have it done before you move in thats the way to go. Make sure they will prep the walls. If you have high ceilings, you may find that the walls need some prep work, I had many areas that needed to be sanded before I painted.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmeenan View Post
Ohiogirl is right. It is tedious, but I love saying I did it myself. I usually ask a friend to come over and help and it makes the time go faster. All my brushes are purdy brushes. They last forever if you CLEAN them. Also, I often find I have to stop while painting (I have 2 boys). I tightly wrap my paint brushes in plastic wrap or a plastic bag until I can get back to it. I also put a layer of plastic wrap over my tray as well.

Personally, I wouldn't do more than one room a weekend or do a room every other day. The amount you were quoted for painting seems to be a good rate at least in my area. If you have to have it done before you move in thats the way to go. Make sure they will prep the walls. If you have high ceilings, you may find that the walls need some prep work, I had many areas that needed to be sanded before I painted.
yes, that is my trick as well, and it works, and so much better than washing it out only to start back the next day....love it !!!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,592 times
I pass that tip onto everyone I know who is painting.

The only thing I don't like about painting is that I have to tape. I have carpal tunnel issues and I can't cut in without tape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating