Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times

Advertisements

One thing appliance buyers should consider: do you plan to keep your house longer than the lifespan of the average appliance? If there's even a tiny chance you'll sell, get stainless or even stainless-look. Realtors will tell you it is by far the most popular choice of today's home buyers -- especially first-time home buyers. I read an article online in which a survey company said more than 50% of homebuyers wanted the stainless look, black was second, white was third, and almond/bisque wasn't even mentioned. The percentage for stainless favor grew as the age of the buyer went down.

In the seller-unfriendly housing market we are in, it's always better to have the thing that is most popular. Which is why many people put granite in their kitchens even when they don't like it. It's a sale magnet. Just watch House Hunters on HGTV -- some people will not buy a house if the counters aren't granite. The really young people often equate white appliances with "old." I've heard many buyers on that show see white appliances and just say flat out, "The appliances have to be replaced. Factor that into the offer." And the appliances could be practically new and the non-granite counters could be perfectly attractive. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I personally prefer black, but it all depends on what your kitchen looks like. Our kitchen has somewhat darker colored tile, and medium-tone wood cabinets, and the black looks great. White would stand out too much. You know what your kitchen looks like, and if you think white would look better, then go for it!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 AM

81 posts, read 189,347 times
I hate stainless, and don't care for black appliances. White is clean and I think the best choice. I have all bisque (almond) and they look really warm and inviting, but I'm afraid they will be phased out. So when it's time to replace, it will be white.Also, not sure it matters but I live in Florida and wouldn't want a dark kitchen.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:38 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
Thumbs up Go for black appliances

I have black appliances and love them! Was a little nervous about buying them originally but have been very pleased. I do notice on the smooth top stove that it does show dust as mentioned in any earlier post but a quick wipe takes care of it, black is cheaper than stainless too another plus.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:49 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I am going to check the box yes for the black appliances.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
as long as said appliances work,get the job done and are safe to use--go with whatever you can afford.
usually black and white are the same price.

OP, we have black appliances in a kitchen with light oak and white laminate, and I never thought it looked strange.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Friends of mine just got RED appliances. They said they were told they could get whatever colors they wanted. I was really taken aback, but how cool is that!?

I'd go with stainless steel, but I have always loved that look (ever since childhood!), but be aware your only options are not just black, white, or stainless.

Frankly, I have always hated white appliances. But again, that is just taste. Do you have to sell soon? Something to keep in mind.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
One thing appliance buyers should consider: do you plan to keep your house longer than the lifespan of the average appliance? If there's even a tiny chance you'll sell, get stainless or even stainless-look. Realtors will tell you it is by far the most popular choice of today's home buyers -- especially first-time home buyers. I read an article online in which a survey company said more than 50% of homebuyers wanted the stainless look, black was second, white was third, and almond/bisque wasn't even mentioned. The percentage for stainless favor grew as the age of the buyer went down.

In the seller-unfriendly housing market we are in, it's always better to have the thing that is most popular. Which is why many people put granite in their kitchens even when they don't like it. It's a sale magnet. Just watch House Hunters on HGTV -- some people will not buy a house if the counters aren't granite. The really young people often equate white appliances with "old." I've heard many buyers on that show see white appliances and just say flat out, "The appliances have to be replaced. Factor that into the offer." And the appliances could be practically new and the non-granite counters could be perfectly attractive. Go figure.
Then those people are stupid, to not buy a house because the counters are not granite is stupid.....and even if there is granite, what are the chances of the color being the color you like?????

This is a pretty stupid thing the HGTV TV is making buyers believe they have to do.

Of course, like me, and a lot of other posters here, we already know that not having granite counter tops is definetely not a reason not to buy a house.

I dont know why the HGTV push this so much......if there isnt granit and you want it, pick out the color and pattern you like and buy it....it really isn't that hard......

and another thing, what makes these buyers think that the sellers can even afford granite, or even find it necessary to have, or even want it for that matter....?????

Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM

yikes, I went a little off topic....

I am still for the black appliances they can be dressed up or down according to your taste...

Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,988,207 times
I don't understand why changing your countertops means changing your appliance colors. Why don't you change your countertops to a laminate that looks more like granite? You could keep the overall effect closer to your original dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating