Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 AM

129 posts, read 525,035 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the double post, but apparantly there is difficulty in placing a link. The url tags show in public view. Tried again on this post but the same thing happened again in FireFox/IE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Hi, I am selling a home and the potential buyers want a painting allowance....I don't want to lose the sale but don't want to be ripped off either, the realtor will be sending a quote and asking how much I'll cover. It's a 2200 sq ft home, all walls are standard builder beige (one small wall is blue). I know it's more to change colors etc, but want to give an allowance to cover getting it back to same builder beige.
Anyone have an idea of a range of what this might cost? (Fayetteville NC is location of house)
Thanks
First and foremost, the buyer is simply looking for financial leverage. That is all. This is the haggling stage of the sale.

When you buy a home, it is ASSUMED that you're going to repaint the interior rooms to your taste - and that it will be your own expense.

I believe part of the haggling process is the reasonable assumption that the buyer is going to paint the interior himself - not hire it done.

I recently rented out a house that needed some interior painting. I let the renter pick the colors, because I don't really care what colors they are. He & his family have to live with them. I do, however, have it written in the lease that I'll only pay for interior paint once every 5 years.

That said, it took roughly 1 gallon of paint - and the better part of a gallon of primer - per room.

You can easily get good satin interior paint for $25 per gallon.
You can get good interior primer for under $20 per gallon.

I rounded my costs up, and figured $50 per room.

So let's do the math: 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, dining & living room. 8 rooms at $50 per room is $400 - and this is being very generous.

I'd say your "painting allowance" should not be a dollar over $500 - and that is being very generous.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM

Called Sherwin Williams for you and Superpaint is 10% off thru end of February. Though a littly costlier to start.

Also, if you can't get a contractors rate (will you be painting your next home?) you may want to suggest labor only since painters usually get this.

BTW - I agree with the last post, about buyers paying for painting. But this may be an unusual buyers market right now.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:20 PM

another source for sqaure foot prices, (the actual link from earlier) : Cost Per Square Foot - Interior House Painting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating