Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Just a question regarding formica counters(ugh) . I had backsplash which looks ok when painted with expensive enamel paint....has anyone used the Rust-Oleum or other paint to refinish formica and make it look newer? I have seen some demos at Lowe's it looks like a nice quick fix...thanks for any ideas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Just a question regarding formica counters(ugh) . I had backsplash which looks ok when painted with expensive enamel paint....has anyone used the Rust-Oleum or other paint to refinish formica and make it look newer? I have seen some demos at Lowe's it looks like a nice quick fix...thanks for any ideas....
First off, it is not Formica. Formica is a brand, not a product. Everyone calls it Formica but that is not correct, it's called Laminate.

As for painting Laminate, I say you can not do it. Of course people do it all the time but people also paint glass, roof shingles, carpeting and even paint the grass on their lawn green. But that don't make it right. I know there are scams on the shelf to paint Laminate with. But you can also go to the auto parts store and buy instant tuneup in a can or instant valve job in a bottle. I have also seen instant engine rebuild which comes in a bottle of powder you add to your radiator. And I sell snake oil which will make you young again.

Large apartment complexes have a company who comes in and bonds this paint like surface on Laminate. It sorta works for a short time. But you can forget about cutting on it again or be poisoned.

You can buy preformed Lam tops very cheap, probably barely more costly then that scam paint you want to buy. And they are not really that bad either. If your kitchen is L shaped they even sell them pre mitered.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Come on, paint won't hide the texture of either standard "pebble grain" laminate NOR is any non-machine painting system capable of getting as uniform smoothness of "slick" laminates.

I have seen folks try to "spray over" everything from plastic tile in a low end shower to 18th century hand carved ceiling medallions, so if you try you certainly won't be the first to go down a path of odd adventurers, but really even if you have the paint already paid for the time you "invest" in this sort of project would be far better spent in other ways. I would go so far to suggest that the cost of a can of Rustoleum (which actually does a nice job on rough patio furniture or mailboxes) and a few practice games of blackjack could be parlayed into paying for new countertops & backslashes with greater ease than trying to actually get good results in this application...

Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Thanks...Lowes has the pre-cut counters...which are really nice- the fake granite look great to know esp. in a small kitchen.

Of course i love the cherry and granite sample kitchens for 15k at Lowes, not counting installation...harsh times call for harsh measures though.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:47 PM

lol someone repped me- Im not a Mom- except to my shar-peis i am cheap tho trying to get my house done!!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:50 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
OP, dont do it, there are plenty of other ways to cut corners, painting laminate is not one of them!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:55 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I saw that paint you are talking about. Its expensive as hell. Its a 3 step process I believe. I kind of laughed when I looked at it because it was over a hundred bucks and didnt cover a large area. You would need a couple of the kits and well after all that you could replace the counters with something else. I am a painter. I have painted furniture and kitchen cabinets (yes, I hear desert sun vomiting off in the distance ). Laminate is just too slick for anything to adhere to it. Even roughing it up, will not work. Somethings are simply not meant to take paint.

My mother whom I live dearly is probably the most stubborn person I have ever met. She has a horrible kitchen. Previous owner was some DIY laminate fanatic. Her whole kitchen is laminate even the window trim . She insisted the cabinets could be painted. I told her no, she went to a speciality paint shop and they sold her some sort of paint that is used on cars. Promised her the moon and stars so she bought it. She went ahead and painted, then called me up to tell me how wrong I was. Okay. :roll eyes: A month later I drove home to visit and saw her kitchen. Pretty much anywhere you grab on the cabinet doors, around the handles, where the doors meet the cabinet...all the painted was chipped off. It is now a real mess.

If you replace the counters, try to have them special order. The counters will be made to fit your kitchen layout exactly with no seams. Not a huge expense just takes about 4-6 weeks. I understand that Lowes and Home Depot have the counters in stock and some are already cut on an angle for L shaped counters but you will have a seam. Seams in Laminate IMO are not a good idea. Eventually liquid makes it way into the seam and then you have the laminate bubble up, split and crack. If you have a galley style kitchen and the counters will be all one piece then that is a different story. Stock should be fine.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Thanks fallingwater. I have seen the beveled counter pieces, at Lowe's- nice marbled design, you remove the old counter, and put it on top of cabinet. Its not paint. Its also not the whole new kitchen deal they usually try to push at Lowes kitchen dept.

Can you believe they had no dishwashers under 600.00 there? i need a new one of those too and the kid was like-"this is all we have"....I bought a portable one for 200.00 last year. lowes sales kids really think customers are stupid, lol.

Anyone know any good sites for dishwashers? Im looking for budget since house is getting sold in a year or so...thanks

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Thanks fallingwater. I have seen the beveled counter pieces, at Lowe's- nice marbled design, you remove the old counter, and put it on top of cabinet. Its not paint. Its also not the whole new kitchen deal they usually try to push at Lowes kitchen dept.

Can you believe they had no dishwashers under 600.00 there? i need a new one of those too and the kid was like-"this is all we have"....I bought a portable one for 200.00 last year. lowes sales kids really think customers are stupid, lol.

Anyone know any good sites for dishwashers? Im looking for budget since house is getting sold in a year or so...thanks
What do you want to pay?
What color?
There are 76 choices under $400 on the Lowes site.
http://www.lowes.com/pl_200+400_4294...sales_dollar|1

Old 09-13-2011, 08:41 PM

Im looking for stainless or black- ok thanx I will ck that site. It pays I guess to do it online instead of going to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating