Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 AM

146 posts, read 295,107 times

Advertisements

I'd love to have an upholstered headboard - but have a few questions.

Who makes these? Furniture companies? If so, what companies? Can they be made by an upholsterer?

How are headboards attached to wall or frame? I've seen some in stores, all attached to frames, and not one of them has had a good solid attachment. Meaning, the headboard has wiggle in it, and leans back if you recline against it in bed. For that reason, I'm leaning toward mounting the headboard directly to the wall. Is this the way it's done?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I had an upholstered headboard for 15 years, it was re-done once to change from gray to black, as the sun faded it and it got dirty.
It is attatched to bed frame same as regular wood frames. It was very pretty when i first got it....

I would however, NOT recommend it. It has to be vacummed all the time, as dust and lint will get on it, don't know how, but it does....the sun faded mine that's why it was re-done. Once it gets dirty, and it will, it will not look nice.

I was so happy when I threw it out and got a regular wood - leather headboard that I can wipe with a cloth. I don't need any extra cleaning.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
I made my own its really, really quite easy, mine is an exaggerated camelback, it took me a little over an hour to make and cost less than $50, vs over $300 at the upholstery shop.
Here are some links;
Google

Old 09-26-2011, 08:27 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I made my own its really, really quite easy, mine is an exaggerated camelback, it took me a little over an hour to make and cost less than $50, vs over $300 at the upholstery shop.
Here are some links;
Google

yeah BINGO!!!!!

and that isn't even an exaturation, boy did I spell that wrong....

Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I had an upholstered headboard for 15 years, it was re-done once to change from gray to black, as the sun faded it and it got dirty.
It is attatched to bed frame same as regular wood frames. It was very pretty when i first got it....

I would however, NOT recommend it. It has to be vacummed all the time, as dust and lint will get on it, don't know how, but it does....the sun faded mine that's why it was re-done. Once it gets dirty, and it will, it will not look nice.

I was so happy when I threw it out and got a regular wood - leather headboard that I can wipe with a cloth. I don't need any extra cleaning.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I too have been looking to do a upholstered headboard. I have been wondering if dust and lint would be an issue. My room tends to get dusty as it is.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:02 PM

210 posts, read 708,188 times
I've always wanted an upholstered headboard, but I'm concerned it would turn into a gigantic scratching post. I'm sure my cats would love it!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
My friends Mom used to make them all the time, back when she made matching cornice boxes for the windows. She said they were really easy. Can't say I have ever wanted one for just the same above reasons, dust, cleaning and cats.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
We've had a fabric one for years. We picked it up for next to nothing at a thrift shop and I promptly reupholstered it. They're easy enough to make from scratch, but I wanted a free-standing one behind the bed and not mounted to the frame or wall, so it was cheaper and easier to use an existing one in this instance. I reupholster it whenever I change the bedroom decor. I've even made slipcovers for it to match favorite linens/curtains.

I haven't had a major problem with dust, (any more than other headboards), but I do swipe it with the vacuum when I'm cleaning the bedroom. If dust/dirt had been a major issue, I would have kept it permanently with a slip cover and just tossed it into the wash from time to time. Now that I'm thinking about it, our old wood headboard was more of a pain to keep clean, becasuse it had a lot of cutouts and curliecues which would collect dust easily.

If you want to order one, you can try places like Home Decorator's Collection or Calico Corners. Basset and a lot of other stores make them too. This place makes the headboard cutout, if you want to try your hand at making one, but don't want to deal with cutting the wood.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
I have made one that was a slipcover for someone. I took a nice square (older) headboard and put some batten over it, then made a slipcover, folded it in half, hemmed it and sewed up only the 2 sides with a square T at the top of the seam to fit the square headboard snugly. Made it out of a very thick heavy stretchy knit material. They do take it off and wash it. Worked out well for them.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:43 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
How To Make A Padded Headboard | Simple Sewing Projects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating