Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 04:32 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times

Advertisements

Okay don't laugh at me like my husband did, but, I'm ready to chuck all our ugly, worn living room furniture and just buy a gorgeous large rug and a bunch of nice pillows and stuff and live on the floor. We have small children who are too young to obey limits but are old enough to get into trouble. They are lately pushing the furniture all around (hardwood floors) and climbing up on everything and it's driving me nuts. Plus we can't buy new furniture right now as 1) we can't afford it and 2) they would destroy it anyway. I have in mind something like from a Middle Eastern or Indian home but I can't find any pictures online and I need some ideas. If we did get furniture, I would want some low-to-the-ground and very small stuff as we live in a small space. Hubbie feels he is too old and achey to sit on the floor so I guess we would need something a little bit off the ground for him. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 04:38 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
If your husband has any problems with aches and pains, he needs decent conventional furniture to sit on. Bohemian living is for the very young. Get a large area rug to protect the floors.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Teach your kids not to push the furniture around. Provide them with cheap beanbags etc. that they can roughhouse around on in a space that is theirs. Teach them the difference.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:49 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Teach your kids not to push the furniture around. Provide them with cheap beanbags etc. that they can roughhouse around on in a space that is theirs. Teach them the difference.
Amen.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hello! They just learned how to walk. It will be another year before they can be disciplined. I didn't ask for a critique of parenting. You're just going to have to trust me that I know what I'm doing there. The reason they can push the furniture so easily is because we have wood floors. If you really know how to control a 15 month old, good for you. They are simply too young to know what they are doing. I'm looking for info and ideas on minimalist living.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I would agree with those who think it's never to early for children to learn the limits. Pre-verbal toddlers read their mother's faces very well and know when they've done something wrong. Beyond that, they need reinforcement for good behavior. But I realize you didn't come here for child-rearing advice, so I'll stick to furniture as a topic.

I don't know where you got the idea that people in India and the Middle East don't have furniture. Perhaps nomads who live in tents don't have much, but there aren't many of those left and most homes look quite like ours. Yes, there are some cultures more used to floor sitting (Japan), but even they have some regular chairs. I've been to Japan and even when I ate sitting on the floor there was a nice table in front of me.

To provide you with alternatives to expensive furniture, I would suggest second-hand goods. I sold new furniture for several years of my life, but I rarely buy it. I can't afford to spend tons on my home and have found that old pieces made of real hardwood are the best value. The only bought-new furniture I have in my house are upholstered pieces -- a good sofa, one comfortable leather chair, and mattresses. Everything else was purchased at flea markets, house and estate sales, or auctions. I've never in my life spent more than $200 for a piece of wood furniture and most were under $50. I learned how to refinish furniture, which is actually quite easy, so no furniture if it is sturdily built needs to look bad. My sister-in-law -- who is a talent decorator -- just completely redid two rooms in her house purchasing the contents solely on Craigslist.

It's really not necessary to spend huge amounts of money to have a beautiful home.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Hello! They just learned how to walk. It will be another year before they can be disciplined. I didn't ask for a critique of parenting. You're just going to have to trust me that I know what I'm doing there. The reason they can push the furniture so easily is because we have wood floors. If you really know how to control a 15 month old, good for you. They are simply too young to know what they are doing. I'm looking for info and ideas on minimalist living.
The word NO comes to mind and then redirecting them....

Keep your beat up furniture and then who cares what they do to it. That is what most people I know do with small children. They can be taught not to destroy things. We have 3 kids and managed to keep our furniture looking pretty good through their toddler years.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Okay don't laugh at me like my husband did, but, I'm ready to chuck all our ugly, worn living room furniture and just buy a gorgeous large rug and a bunch of nice pillows and stuff and live on the floor. We have small children who are too young to obey limits but are old enough to get into trouble. They are lately pushing the furniture all around (hardwood floors) and climbing up on everything and it's driving me nuts. Plus we can't buy new furniture right now as 1) we can't afford it and 2) they would destroy it anyway. I have in mind something like from a Middle Eastern or Indian home but I can't find any pictures online and I need some ideas. If we did get furniture, I would want some low-to-the-ground and very small stuff as we live in a small space. Hubbie feels he is too old and achey to sit on the floor so I guess we would need something a little bit off the ground for him. Any ideas?
I have a feeling that your children would find some way to destroy just about anything.

Have you considered discipline?

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-09-2011, 05:34 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
. I have in mind something like from a Middle Eastern or Indian home but I can't find any pictures online and I need some ideas.
I love Middle Eastern decorated homes. It doesn't have tobe completely stark. A large area rug and pillows are a great idea for kids. You can use a couple of armless comfy cushioned side chairs for your husband or large ottoman for the kids.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:36 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I agree with many of the others, here.

I mean this kindly, as one mother to another. You aren't doing your kids a favor by not teaching them what they need to know, as soon as it becomes a problem. They aren't going to learn not to push furniture if you get rid of all the furniture. If they are old enough to be out of a playpen, they are old enough to learn the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating