Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times

Advertisements

PRINCESS, oh, I'd go for the ivory, it will look very light and fresh with the pale green, floors will look very nice against that, too. You can choose a countertop that is perhaps gray (granite or otherwise) and then go with stainless sink and appliances. Nice clean look, and yes, modern. GG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 11:41 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Do you think in 10 years black cabinets will look as outdated as white washed oak does today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Absolutely yes!
So go with the ivory now because it will look trendy in 10 years!

Old 01-15-2012, 01:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
So go with the ivory now because it will look trendy in 10 years!
I have green walls and ivory cabinets, the cabinets are custom built and finished, they are done to look as if they are 100 years old.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 PM

25 posts, read 97,515 times
This is interesting... so, if white is out, oak/whitewashed oak is done, and very dark/black is on its way out, what is the new "trendy" color?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhed831 View Post
This is interesting... so, if white is out, oak/whitewashed oak is done, and very dark/black is on its way out, what is the new "trendy" color?
I honestly could not tell you, as I dont pay attention to trends, what I design for clients is not based on trends.
Perhaps desertsun could clue us in, cabinetry is his forte, he has better access than anyone here on what is selling right now, and what the cabinet companies have in the way of new offerings.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:18 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Princess, so many questions for you -- what's your style? Sounds like it might be traditional, or maybe a little bit o' country (based on the oak flooring)? What part of the country do you live in? Some trends tend to be regional. Do you plan to live in the house forever? Sounds like you do, so you don't have to worry about re-sale being a factor.

I just re-did my 1960 home's kitchen, so I've leafed through MANY kitchen magazines and visited many kitchen and home centers. In this part of the country, it seems that the current trend is traditional-styled cabinets in a cream or medium-wood color with a glaze. I, too, think the dark cabinets are on the way out. Cherry (or similar-toned) cabinets have been in style for quite awhile now, so you know what that means. ;-) I don't think white-washed or oak cabinets being "dated" is relevant, as they haven't been "in" since the 80's. Nothing stays in style forever. Other than the traditional style I mentioned above, I've also noticed a lot of contemporary slab-style cabinets in either high-gloss white or horizontal-grained wood. Sounds like these would be way too modern for your taste, though. Just be sure to get something YOU will enjoy every day, and who cares whether it's in style or not!?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default Well, the BIG difference with BLACK ...

... it is " can make things that you don't want to see sorta disappear".
I know that when I wear a black tee-shirt my love handles are all but impossible to notice my wife says I look 10 lbs lighter...

My island base cabinets are black because I don't really want to see anything other than the granite top.

I will respectfully suggest that in a decade or so (barring the wide spread use of "cloak of invisibility" paint) black will still be useful for some parts of a kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Absolutely yes!

Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
... it is " can make things that you don't want to see sorta disappear".
I know that when I wear a black tee-shirt my love handles are all but impossible to notice my wife says I look 10 lbs lighter...

My island base cabinets are black because I don't really want to see anything other than the granite top.

I will respectfully suggest that in a decade or so (barring the wide spread use of "cloak of invisibility" paint) black will still be useful for some parts of a kitchen.
Black is cyclical, trendwise.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Trends come and go. I laugh at the trend in shaker doors. Shaker is the oldest door style in cabinetry. Hand made by Amish people for a hundred years and originated in Pennsylvania. In my 30 years I can very honestly say I can only remember selling about 3 shaker door kitchens total......until about 4 years ago when shaker doors took off like a money wasting NASA trip to the moon.

Still to date Shaker door style is the best selling door in all of the USA and Canada and I mean hands down. 7 of ever 10 kitchen going out of my store are Shaker doors.

Color..... last chart I read, brilliant white accounted for about 3 % of all cabinet sales but those who look at design magazines see almost all white. This is unexplainable. Off whites are doing much better at about 15% of total sales but most off white are sold with glazing upgrades. Dark brown, not black is the hottest selling color trend now and accounts for the vast majority of sales despite the door style.

The old wives tale that says do not use dark colors in small rooms be damned. Everyone wants dark dark dark. Kind of like a dark coffee color.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I laugh at the trend in shaker doors. Shaker is the oldest door style in cabinetry. Hand made by Amish people for a hundred years and originated in Pennsylvania.
Shakers were from England and initially settled in New York; most Shaker communities were in New England, Ohio and Kentucky.

Amish are a completely different religious sect from the Shakers, originating from in and around Germany. They settled in southeastern Pennsylvania, and spread westward to northeastern Ohio, Indiana and Missouri.

They both made/make furniture.

Just so you're not confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating