Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

I have volunteered to recover cushions on a rocker/glider with separate ottoman that friend of my daughter had. They come off and she is supposed to be mailing them to me to recover--
she is in Houston and I am in DFW, north TX
so we can't shop for material together--have been emailing photos I took at fabric stores and pix from JoAnn's and Hancock's to each other

Rocker is in nursery for her second child--a girl...but room will also have guest bed that stays...
The cushions now are kind of oatmeal beige and she wants something with color to go with her room...
Does not have a "theme" or even real pattern in the bedding from photos she has sent me--

They painted the room a gray and wants something to coordinate with mobiles that will be in the room...wants something calming/soothing--not "loud"
their colors are Coral, Turquoise, Leaf green, yellow in the main but the mobiles themselves are small

The color of the rocker's wood is light--maybe maple--very natural--sort of like this one
Amazon.com: 2pc Glider Rocker and Ottoman Set in Natural Finish: Home & Kitchen

and she has Ikea pieces for the changing table and small bookcase/shelf unit that are natural as well...

The problem is the material for the slipcovers--
she is drawn to large pattern graphics with big repeat--which I think are too large for the cushions--

Home Decor Upholstery Fabric-Waverly One Wish / Mint Julep*: upholstery fabric*: home decor fabric & hardware*: fabric*: *Shop | Joann.com

How large a pattern can you use for slipcovers like that?
I am drawn more to a flowing floral or paisley that is smaller design

Home Decor Upholstery Fabric-Waverly One Wish / Mint Julep*: upholstery fabric*: home decor fabric & hardware*: fabric*: *Shop | Joann.com

or this one
SELIM by Braemore Color Punch by the yard by reneesfabrics on Etsy

The drawback to most of these is the light background--
I can treat with Scotchguard and a few of the upholstery patterns vs just cottons we have found have been pre-treated

any suggestions from someone with more experience appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
I'm sure that there is some sort of rule, or at least there used to be, but you can get away with anything.

http://marimekkouppereastside.wordpress.com/page/2/

http://marimekkouppereastside.files....ered-chair.jpg

Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 AM

109 posts, read 359,037 times
Hi,

First off, I have looked at the "mint julep" and the etsy fabric (I think one link was a duplicate.) I think when talking repeat and pattern size, you are actually talking 2 different things. For example, you have said that she favors large patterns with a big repeat, and you reference the mint julep fabric. That fabric actually has a smaller repeat than the etsy fabric you said you favored, but I realize that the fabric you are looking at has a random pattern over a large area, while she has a graphic pattern that takes up the majority of the repeat.

As to a rule about this, if your cushion were 24" x 24", you wouldn't want to choose a graphic pattern where you couldn't get at least one whole repeat in both directions. That would look like you had cut off the pattern. However, if you have a large repeat with a random pattern, like the etsy fabric, you could get a way with using less than the whole repeat. Your biggest issue will be making sure you can center your fabric on the cushion so that it looks the way you want it too.

The most important thing to remember though is that your friend's daughter (I think I have that right?!) will have to live with it, so feel free to make a few friendly suggestions, and to make sure that whatever she wants as the focal point of the cushion is the focal point, but ultimately it's up to her.

I know this is tough, as I worked in a workroom and often times what the clients wanted, wasn't always the best choice. Sometimes they worked with a designer, and we had better luck, other times the came up with it themselves, and although we could suggest changes, since we weren't paid as a designer, we just left it up to them. If they didn't like it when we were done, we could redo it, but we always reminded them that we did EXACTLY what they had instructed.

One last thought, I wouldn't worry too much about the background color. However I would be caustions of using too much of a bold random pattern on a piece so large. Something with a simpler pattern won't overwhelm the piece as much. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating