Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times

Advertisements

It looks like we might be redoing our 80's oak cabinet kitchen. We are trying to decide on the style of kitchen cabinets. DW and I do not like stained wood since they can be dark and it seems that there is no color stain that truly does not go out of style. We both like painted cabinets but when we went to look at what Home Depot had (no we are not using them, just went to look at their display), DW really liked a glazed cabinet there.

While I liked it also, I am concerned that it will go out of style quickly just like bleached cabinets did 15 years ago. I also am a bit concerned that the heavy detailed style cabinets needed to show off the glazing will be too formal for the more casual kitchen we want.

So my questions are will glazed cabinets look dated in a few years and are they considered a more formal look? Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,153,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It looks like we might be redoing our 80's oak cabinet kitchen. We are trying to decide on the style of kitchen cabinets. DW and I do not like stained wood since they can be dark and it seems that there is no color stain that truly does not go out of style. We both like painted cabinets but when we went to look at what Home Depot had (no we are not using them, just went to look at their display), DW really liked a glazed cabinet there.

While I liked it also, I am concerned that it will go out of style quickly just like bleached cabinets did 15 years ago. I also am a bit concerned that the heavy detailed style cabinets needed to show off the glazing will be too formal for the more casual kitchen we want.

So my questions are will glazed cabinets look dated in a few years and are they considered a more formal look? Jay
Honestly, I think everything is a fad when it comes to kitchens. Everyone loved honey oak, now its dark wood and eventually someone will say "wow this looks dated!" I like glazed cabinets. I also like painted cabinets. Some will say painted cabinets are horrible and I pointed out the trends I was seeing at different home improvement stores. Colored doors that show no grain so hmm...looks like a mimic of painted cabinets to me.

Meh...go with what you like. IMO, I think bright kitchens always sell a lot better than heavy looking ones.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:26 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,942,627 times
I like them and they would be a big "plus" to me if was looking for a new home. The fact that eventually they may go out of style is probably not going to justify your veto of them to your wife. As fallingwater pointed out, everything seems to go out of style at some point. The ones that come up when I google images of glazed kitchen cabinets do not seem so terribly formal to me, either, even though they do have some detail. I'm sure some could be.

On the other hand, if you just can't stand them you shouldn't have to have them in your kitchen. Marriage is full of compromises. Maybe the two of you can find a kitchen cabinet that both of you like.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 AM

759 posts, read 3,146,230 times
We just redid my mother's old cabinets with Rustoleum cabinet transformations. They look great and it was $70 and some elbow grease involved.

In the color selection strip, they show the cabinets glazed and unglazed, but the glazed just look dirty (especially when we took pictures).

I think glazed would only look good if youu had some type of farmhouse kitchen.

Colors: Rust-Oleum Cabinet Transformations® - A Revolutionary Kitchen Transformation System

Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,675,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

No glazing is not a fad. It's just a modern day option and one more consumer choice to mull over. Glazing will never go away. In my experience, a good many of my customers like the glazing but turn away when they hear it's a markup. Generally glazing is from 10 to 20% premium LIST PRICE. I capitalized that because that is what you pay at the big box store. Generally the small cabinet stores charge from 5 to 10% markup for glazing.

Now 10% of a $5000 kitchen is about $500 for that glazing. Worth it? For many it is not. For others, $500 is not a lot for something they like so much and have to live with every day.

The things that WILL go out of style are those awful shaker style doors that 7 of every 10 cabinet buyers demand today. My first 27 years in this biz I honestly only remember selling 2 shaker kitchens. The past 5 years that 7 of every 10 kitchens sold are shaker and are my numbers as well as all of North America according to trade journals.

Another thing that will go out of style are the dark dark dark dark, did I say that enough? I'm only repeating what everyone wants today. That dark brown, coffee, espresso, kona,...by whatever one wants to call it, it's very dark brown leaning black. Where did everyone's awful taste come from? I don't know what will be in 5 years when the dark color shaker door is dead.

The bleach you mentioned, that is pickled oak. Yes that was gross which many describe as pink cabinets. Yes they turned pink in about 5 years. That fad took about 15 years to drop dead. I hope it never comes back.

Personally I like glazing but not on all doors and not all colors. You want painted colors. You will also pay a premium for painted colors. It is a more involved finishing process that you will pay for. Be prepared. No one knows if painted will ever go out of style, I don't feel it ever was in style. The buyers over the years were very few for painted cabinets except for white. And white is as dead as the Brontosaurus and Dinosaur at this time.

Just a few years ago most all cabinet manufacturers discontinued white cabinets cause they don't sell. In the past year I noticed these manufacturers are making white again. The only white I see going out my doors usually the customer wants a glazing on them. And they are usually an off white rather then a brilliant white.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 AM

387 posts, read 1,046,284 times
IMO glazing is a fad and will look dated by the middle of the decade.

I thought white was classic? You can look at home magazines from any decade and see white cabinets. And the marble countertops seem classic too. Granted the white (or antique white) cabinets are most "at home" in traditional style houses so I wouldn't use them if you're going for a midcentury modern style.

If we redo our cabinets, I'm going for an antique white (like Pottery barn white). We have golden oak right now and I don't think it's terrible, but we are looking at trying to get more counter space, so we would need a different layout.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 AM

34,956 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Wow, I was getting worried that no one was going to answer this question. Thanks for the opinions. Humm... there seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion.

Desertsun - I know we have had this debate before on painted and white cabinets. I disagree with you. But that is only because I think there is a regional difference in tastes. Here in the northeast homes tend to be more traditional (heck they are really colonial) in style so painted white kitchen cabinets are popular (I am not talking about those plastic looking cabinets that many mass produced cabinet makers use). I think the same goes for shaker style cabinets. They fit in better with a traditional or colonial style home. For that reason they will likely stick around but will not be as popular as they are now.

As for your other comments, I do thank you for your information and opinion. I agree those dark cabinets that are so popular right now will definitely be out in a few years. They really remind me of the dark walnut stain craze of the 70's. After a couple of years people will be asking "What were we thinking?" I also agree that bright white is not the way to go so if we do go painted or glazed it will likely be a cream color or even a light color.

I also agree with Fallingwater on keeping the kitchen lighter and brighter. We are going to have larger windows in the kitchen to increase light. Fortunately too the kitchen faces south so we get light all day long. Just have to make sure it is not too much light. Jay

Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
I would get what ever you like, not to worry about a fad, a trend, a re sale, but something that you want to look at daily. Since it is your home and your kitchen, do what you want.

I am in the midst of a new kitchen reno (which seems like forever), I am going to be getting "black vintage distressed", which is black with portions of the edges looks like the paint is wearing off. This is what will go with my decor, I could care less what is in style or what the fad is of the day.... I will also have black appliances as well....

Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,348,989 times
It is a trend, it most likely will be "dated"

not sure if that is a problem for you or not. In my area, it used to be natural maple with black granite was very popular, then those Tuscan kitchen were the rage for a while, with distressed off white doors, glazed, with every embelishment you could find.

Plain white is popular too.

we do have dark cabinets around, but it isn't as popular as it is in other areas of the country.

I personally think shaker cabinets are realitively timeless, I also think in my area they aren't chosen nearly as much as raised panel doors.

you should really pick what you want, not what someone tells you to get. you will have to live with it. for resale purposes the less you spend on "over doing" the kitchen the better

Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,860,532 times
You'll extend the style lifespan by picking something that works with a wider variety of fixtures. Just swapping out knobs and lighting fixtures years down the road can often freshen up a space that was starting to seem a wee bit dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating