Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacreativebone827 View Post
So I'm a first time home buyer and my boyfriend and I found this awesome little condo in a perfect neighborhood. The problem is that the previous owners were the original owners and they were a little on the elderly side so long story short: the place is hideously decorated.

Because we're on the younger side, we don't have a ton of money to reconstruct the kitchen. As of right now we'd just like to get rid of the wallpaper and find a nice paint color that will go with the old wood trimmed cabinets. The cabinet faces as well as the counter tops are a beige color and the appliances are white/ off white and so I don't want to go too light. I'm open to a bright or bold color.

Please give me your suggestions as I am not creative at all!

Thank you!!

Attachment 95518

Hmmmm...Maybe paint the cabinet in high gloss black or red, add hardware . Then replace wallpaper with red or sage green paint...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,594 times
Thank you everyone for your help. Our budget is basically just enough for paint right now because EVERYTHING needs to be reprinted in the house so cabinet refinishing is out. I just want to get everyone's opinion on what colors would match that weird wood color on the cabinets. I'm definitely open to anything, I just want to make it look as good as I can. I like the idea of a wine color or a sage green. I guess anything is an upgrade from the terrible wallpaper. What you can't see from the picture is that there are swinging saloon doors going into the kitchen. Honestly,what were these people thinking???

Thanks again for everyone's help. Ill be posting more pictures of the rest of the condo to get more advice. Make sure you check out how dreadful everything is!

Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Hey, you have my kitchen cabinets! I don't like them, either, but until I can redo the kitchen, they are here to stay. We just painted the whole kitchen white (my cabinets are white laminate), but just about any color (maybe not pink ) would go OK with them -- the laminate and the oak are very neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacreativebone827 View Post
What you can't see from the picture is that there are swinging saloon doors going into the kitchen. Honestly,what were these people thinking???
My mom had those between the kitchen and the dining room as well. She was thinking the doors would shield the view of the dirty kitchen from the dining room, but you couldn't see the kitchen from the dining room anyway. Everyone has different tastes; it's what makes the world go 'round.

My nephew, when he was younger, was racing through the house and broke one of the hinges as he raced past the doors. We took them down for her, and Mom was going to have the hinges repaired, but she never did. Score one for inertia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating