Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Dated? LOL I guess every house built before the advent of MDF -- which, by the way, is the only reason painted trim is stylish now, so that builders can get off cheap, and the sheeple have gone along with it -- is ugly to you, then.

Painting something that doesn't need painting is a waste of time, effort and resources.
I don't always use MDF though all the trim in our house is white. I like stained wood trim, but it looks best in THICK mouldings in BIG houses or commercial buildings or old buildings. In standard homes with standard chair rail and crown moulding (especially in any home after the 60s or so) I have never been a fan of stained (dark or light). It looks too much like the house is trying to be fancier/older than it is imo.

Just my personal opinion.

Plus MDF is definitely not the only reason painted trim is popular. People have been painting trim for a long, long time, especially in other countries. It just happened that American houses over a certain period of time seemed to all trend toward stained trim so you're probably used to that. But even here lots of colonial homes had painted trim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Congrats!! Great looking kitchen! You have a lot to work with. Looking forward to adding my two cents.
What are you favorite colors? If you were picking out towels...or a bedspread...What is the color that catches your eyes?
This is a great tool for helping you decide what colors you like in paint. You already have good pics, use them w/ this http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...or-visualizer/

Last edited by JanND; 09-20-2012 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I can't add much. I totally agree to paint out or remove the stained crown molding in the house.
I would love to get my hands on that porch. It will look awesome with a new floor, some solar shades, and some comfy furniture. A new ceiling, painted light blue, and get rid of the valances, and what is that s**t hanging over the windows?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
and what is that s**t hanging over the windows?
I wondered the same thing. I think it's the same material as the ceiling. Whatever it is, it's gotta go.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
and what is that s**t hanging over the windows?
I wondered the same thing. I think it's the same material as the ceiling. Whatever it is, it's gotta go.

ETA: Oops. Just looked again. You mean the green and pink stuff. Looks like pillows and blankets are stored up there. Doesn't make sense, whatever it is.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
OP must be busy painting. Can't wait for updates and more "after pics. You got yourself a sweet first home....Good job!!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:54 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You mean the green and pink stuff. Looks like pillows and blankets are stored up there. Doesn't make sense, whatever it is.
It probably did. The OP bought the house, not the furnishings.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishburn7 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I just bought a house in the city I grew up in. I am an engineer and I do not trust myself to make any interior design choices because I am terrible at it.

The house I bought is gorgeous on the outside and in the backyard, however the inside is a little older in styling (i'm 23). So I was looking for a little help and ideas for my house. I'll put pictures up below and say what my ideas are.

Obviously in the kitchen the wallpaper will come down and paint will go up along with a nice backsplash.

The brown carpet that is in the living room and dining room also goes up the steps. and that needs to go. All the doors are a dark wood that I think needs lightened if not painted white, and the railing going up the steps is a little darker than I like. but of course that is all the pictures I have for now. There is hardwood under the carpet under the steps.

Also I HATE the sunroom. it needs work bad.

Let me know what you think!
Thanks!
I am not being snarky but I have to wonder what you DO like about this house.

I agree about the brown carpet. But wooden doors? Painted white?

The decor is dated and I'm assuming it's the sellers. I love the sunroom!

It sounds as though you like new homes. This house looks to be at least 50 years old. Why didn't you buy a new light, bright "open concept" home?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It sounds as though you like new homes. This house looks to be at least 50 years old. Why didn't you buy a new light, bright "open concept" home?
Really? OMGoodness! There could be many reasons. Budget. Location. Limited selection. Not everyone can buy their dream home.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I have to say it: Don't paint the woodwork! You'll be sorry, because you have to keep painting it when the paint chips and wears. And it will.

Do not ever ever paint brick!

The sunroom would look great with a flagstone floor, and some new shades.
I both agree and disagree...

I like natural wood trim far better than painted. In most of the houses I've renovated I've stripped off ugly paint, and refinished the woodwork.

However, some trim is, honestly, kind of ugly. I'm thinking specifically of some of that blonde stuff that was installed during the 50s and 60s. Also, some trim HAS to be painted.

That said, if you prep, prime and paint the trim properly, you will NOT be having a problem with chipping & peeling.

And painting brick? Well... That too is a matter of opinion and taste. Mine runs toward NOT painting it, but other people have other opinions. As with wood, the key to good results painting brick is prep and priming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating