Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:12 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishburn7 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I just bought a house in the city I grew up in. I am an engineer and I do not trust myself to make any interior design choices because I am terrible at it.

The house I bought is gorgeous on the outside and in the backyard, however the inside is a little older in styling (i'm 23). So I was looking for a little help and ideas for my house. I'll put pictures up below and say what my ideas are.

Obviously in the kitchen the wallpaper will come down and paint will go up along with a nice backsplash.

The brown carpet that is in the living room and dining room also goes up the steps. and that needs to go. All the doors are a dark wood that I think needs lightened if not painted white, and the railing going up the steps is a little darker than I like. but of course that is all the pictures I have for now. There is hardwood under the carpet under the steps.

Also I HATE the sunroom. it needs work bad.

Let me know what you think!
Thanks!
First of all, you need to realize that EVERYTHING about this thread deals in the realm of OPINIONS. What I like, you may not like. Also, keep in mind that there's trendy and there's classy. The two are not typically the same. Mostly though, if you have a friend(s) - especially a young lady with good taste - that can help you with this, she'll be of far more value than all of us.

That said, here are my thoughts, by picture.

1. The dining room is cluttered. Move out the giant hutch. Remove the "I'm a lady in my 60s" curtains. If you paint the trim - the base, chair rail, and crown molding, you'll have a brighter feel to the whole room.

2. Family Room: Remove that MASSIVE furniture, and it will have a whole different feel to it. A fireplace is always a focal point of a room, so don't fight it. Work with it.

3. Kitchen: The wallpaper has to go. A calming, non-busy countertop backsplash would be nice. Painting the cabinets and cupboards is an option, if you want to brighten up the place. But if you're going to do it, do it right. Use the right primer, and a semi-gloss paint, or you'll regret it. Maybe put a smaller table in front of the patio door. Anything else (like reconfiguring countertops, etc) runs into some serious money.

4. Living Room: It's boring. Different furniture, arranged differently, will make a huge difference. Repaint if there's a color you really like, but the paint that's on it isn't bad.

5. Master Bedroom: Repaint if you want. New carpet if you don't like Lilac. Or hardwood laminate might not be a bad option.

6. Bathroom: Paint the vanity and mirror. Paint the walls in a less "barky" color. Neutral bathroom colors are "in" now, with people spicing it up via the shower curtain.

7. Sun Room: Paint the ceiling a light color. Remove the valance, and the astro-turf all-weather carpet. But before you pull up the green carpet, know what you're going to put down in its place. If it's a concrete floor, maybe stain it. Or perhaps a heavy Berber carpet.

So there. Those are my initial opinions. My personal color preferences fall in the area of earthy neutrals. Just keep in mind that it's YOUR house, and what YOU like and want is what's important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:53 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post

1. The dining room is cluttered. Move out the giant hutch.

2. Family Room: Remove that MASSIVE furniture,

3. Kitchen: Maybe put a smaller table in front of the patio door.

4. Living Room: It's boring. Different furniture, arranged differently, will make a huge difference.
If that furniture is the OPs, I'll eat my hat. I've never seen a house that screamed "Grandma" as much as this one, furniture wise.

I love the sunroom. I'll love it more when the ceiling is painted and something different is on the floor. And please don't paint the brick, IMO.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I agree Do not paint the woodwork. Especially not DIY... It looks inexpensive, so I would suggest having it replaced w/ thicker molding.

Hmm...engineer? guy? small rooms w/ low-ish ceilings?

I think it would look great painted stark white. Since the rooms are narrow, you may want to invest in built-ins and higher-tech stuff to reduce clutter of the tv, appliances etc.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I think you have found yourself a nice first house. I hope you enjoy living in it.

Yes, paint your doors and baseboards and other woodwork. White will update the look of your house and brighten it up. There are all sorts of whites to choose from. Decide if you want to alter the color of your fireplace before you paint. The fireplace, unchanged or altered, is a permanent fixture. Whatever you do should complement it. Since there are a million interior paint colors, wall color can be chosen after all other fixed items have been chosen, altered, or transformed.

I think the house has loads of potential, and I want to make a recommendation. Since you've never done this before, I'd hire a decorator to visit your house and make recommendations. She will charge by the hour, and can help you think about what you want, and what you can do.

Be sure to visit a bit on the phone with the selected decorator first, to make sure you two are on the same wave length. When you meet, have a list of questions ready so she can deal with your primary concerns. You need an overall strategy here.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
This house looks like how I remember my Grandma's house looking when I was a kid. Yup definitely lots of updating needed.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:27 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
One post and gone... I wonder if the OP is even reading these responses....

Old 10-02-2012, 01:48 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,483,285 times
I just discovered something the other day that you might want to consider when you get around to updating your fireplace faceplate. If you want to change the color, you can have it powder coated as long as there are no plastic parts. I called about having mine done the other day, and it's not very expensive at all.

Good luck with your project. I love the sunroom too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating