Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM

41,999 posts, read 75,335,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycat View Post
It was our realtor who made the suggestion about the elevator because almost all the lookers said they wanted a downstairs master. (When we bought this house neither of us had ever lived in a two-story house so we were too stupid to know what problems it could cause.)
Most people who want a first-floor master bedroom have older kids and want their bedroom away from the kids' bedrooms.

Many, many, many people live in two-story homes without first-floor master bedrooms and without elevators. You just haven't found the right buyer yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
My advice is to talk to other, successful realtors. I can't imagine buying a house that has an elevator! Just another thing to maintain.

But you could put in a one of those stairlifts to use in your stairs. That would be more appealing to the average homeowner.

We also had great difficulties selling our house. We tried for 2 years 2007-2008 and two more, 2011 and 2012 before we finally did sell. We were on 3 acres with well and septic and it appears that the market for that sort of property had dried up along with the effects of the recession. We did redecorate a couple of bedrooms during the time we weren't selling, and we bought furniture for ourselves. But the difference for us was finding a super realtor. it took three tries. Our house had two levels, ground floor, and below grade. The buyers were older, not retired, but certainly not young. We were so surprised! We assumed any buyer interested in our house would be somewhat young and vigorous.

I will say that we sold our house shortly after reducing our price. If your house is in good condition, updated kitchen and baths, then price will sell it. And having a good realtor.

But I wouldn't put in an elevator. And if your realtor was serious when he or she suggested it, I'd question the judgement of that person.

Good luck!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
But you could put in a one of those stairlifts to use in your stairs. That would be more appealing to the average homeowner.
They take up a huge amount of stair space. Nobody would want that unless they truly couldn't walk stairs.

Plus they're not expensive so anyone buying a house can easily incorporate the cost of installing one into their mortgage.

I agree with you that the OP needs a new realtor.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:13 PM

5,290 posts, read 6,232,712 times
Ughhh. Going to have to agree with the others.

I'm also not understanding the realtors overall advice- the direction you have been pushed in. If the upstairs master was an issue, why did they have you add an upstairs study & downstairs dining room. Unless that dining room was 9x9 I would imagine opening a wall or adding a bump out would hace sufficed in making it more spacious. And most people who want the downstairs master would want the study on the same floor. Simply adding the first floor master + bath would have given more value than a two story addition to replace rooms that are not important to many buyers.

I sold a condo as the market crashed and it was brutal. I was carrying a mortgage on it and my house since before the crash condos in my area stayed on market for 6-8 weeks tops. So I was in no panic to sell before buying since the overlap made the move and a couple of adjustments to the house less intrusive. At any rate the answer to my problem ended up being not to improve/chase the ideal/throw buyer incentives at the problem but to cut the price to be in line with lesser properties in the complex. At which point I sold & several of those did not. Hard lesson to learn because the market was going down for a year!

I'd find out who sells the most volume in your particular area of town or with the particular type of property you have and bring them in. When they first look at the property ask for not only the fair market value they all give but how you are stacking up to comps.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Agree with this. Price will sell this house.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 AM

50,410 posts, read 64,161,814 times
I'll stay out of the should you/shouldn't you argument.
You could put plantation shutters over the windows.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:36 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,336,814 times
get advice from other realtors and then maybe you can do that stained glass look or treat the former window areas like an actual window with a painted outdoors scene and curtains/drapes, if you still go through with adding the elevator.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM

356 posts, read 372,716 times
Could you hang some small, framed, black & white pictures within the window panes?
Maybe hang them with a satin or sheer metallic ribbon? This could make for a very interesting display of family photos or artwork.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,649,427 times
If you are going in the direction of a stained glass window, keep in mind there are all kinds of designs and it is really up to personal taste which makes selling even harder. That said, you could always have a lighted stained glass window where the original windows were and then with the flip of a switch, voila, light from that direction and design!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating