Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM

4,246 posts, read 4,760,624 times

Advertisements

I have a small studio apartment and a tiny bathroom. I hate the flooring in my bathroom. The space is very small, but I just can't stand looking at or walking on the outdated 1-inch square white tiles with dark brown lines in between.

Can anyone suggest some temporary flooring I can put down on top of the floor for now? Since I live in an apartment I cant redo the floor, but I was hoping there might be something I can lay down to re-do the look of the flooring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
...I just can't stand looking at or walking on the outdated 1-inch square white tiles
with dark brown lines in between.
Have you considered cleaning the grout?

Quote:
Can anyone suggest some temporary flooring I can put down on top of the floor for now?
Something more than a fluffy bath mat?

Quote:
I was hoping there might be something I can lay down to re-do the look of the flooring.
You need to contact your landlord.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:45 PM

50,403 posts, read 64,119,967 times
Well, whatever you put down you will need to take up the toilet. Do you really want to go there?
If you put down vinyl, the grout lines of the underflooring will show.
You could perhaps put some cut to fit sheet vinyl down, but it will probably look worse than what is there now.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,562,995 times
They make a plank, vinyl floor that is floating -- where each strip has an edge that lies underneath the next strip (similar to tounge and groove, but not exactly as these planks are not rigid like a laminate floor).

Home depot caries the line, its not cheap, however a bathroom is usually pretty small (especially an apartment). We bought 3 boxes to do a 8x5 bathroom (I want to say it was about 17sq ft/box), I bought 3 boxes so I'd have extra. I paid about $30/box (clearanced) - I think normal price was about $50.

Anyway - can be cut by linoleum knife, or razor or whatever. Fairly easy for do it yourselfer - if you can measure and trim/cut.

It would be good in your situation because it would lay over their tile, giving you the wall to wall look you want without destroying existing floor.

Otherwise my vote is for fluffy rug!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
I would suggest that you just buy some nice washable throw rugs. And, there are so many really nice rugs now. Changing anything in an apartment would probably be against your lease contract. And, putting anything down on a bathroom floor would need to be sealed to prevent all that "germy" condensation build up, and you wouldn't want that growing mold under your temp floor. I'd live w/ it, and add your decor to off set it....but, white shouldn't be hard to live w/ imo.

What's your decor style? W/ the floor you describe you have lots of options...1 inch tiles are actually a good choice in a tiny bathroom. Scrub the floor w/ a good scrub brush, make it gleam and super clean...and throw down 1 or 2 rugs....it will look great. Paint the walls, buy some really interesting wall decor...make it yours...it will be fine.

Last edited by JanND; 01-21-2013 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
A fluffly colorful area rug is the best way to go. It doesn't have to be a bathroom rug. You can buy something at Pier One or wherever.

The only other option is bath rug that you cut to fit the bathroom floor, like wall to wall carpet but it just lays on top. It's thin and has a rubber bottom just like bath mats only it's a huge size and you cut the toilet hole out. Here's a link:

http://www.bedbathstore.com/watowabacaby.html?2061-5x8&utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&id=3880072897 2&mr:keyword={keyword}&gclid=CKHr5ZzK-bQCFU-d4AodKmMAGA

It comes in 5 x 6 and 5 x 8.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,161,873 times
I can tell you a trick and elderly aunt did when I was a kid. She used contact paper on her floor!!!! Even as young as I was, I knew had bad it looked!!!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM

18,483 posts, read 31,681,632 times
how about place and press vinyl tiles. at least they can be removed if need be, and they have nice ones these days

Old 01-23-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Well, whatever you put down you will need to take up the toilet. Do you really want to go there?
If you put down vinyl, the grout lines of the underflooring will show.
You could perhaps put some cut to fit sheet vinyl down, but it will probably look worse than what is there now.
I can't take up the toilet.

Why would the cut to fit sheet vinyl look worse?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
They make a plank, vinyl floor that is floating -- where each strip has an edge that lies underneath the next strip (similar to tounge and groove, but not exactly as these planks are not rigid like a laminate floor).

Home depot caries the line, its not cheap, however a bathroom is usually pretty small (especially an apartment). We bought 3 boxes to do a 8x5 bathroom (I want to say it was about 17sq ft/box), I bought 3 boxes so I'd have extra. I paid about $30/box (clearanced) - I think normal price was about $50.

Anyway - can be cut by linoleum knife, or razor or whatever. Fairly easy for do it yourselfer - if you can measure and trim/cut.

It would be good in your situation because it would lay over their tile, giving you the wall to wall look you want without destroying existing floor.

Otherwise my vote is for fluffy rug!
Thanks; so far this sounds like a good option. Will this lie pretty flat over my current tile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating