Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times

Advertisements

i think you should arrange it the way you have it but facing the fireplace with your back to the kitchen, you should then either a sofa table or buffet table behind the couch,(like the one sitting right next to the fireplace now) and then in between the kitchen and living area, a dining table and chairs.
the TV can be placed above the fireplace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
...the TV can be placed above the fireplace
Many people don't like the TV over the fireplace.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
the way the room is now, thet are ignoring two of the best features of the house--the fireplace and the windows. they are staring at a wall right now.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't. I like the look, but the TV would sit too high up for my taste. However, in this case, the OP probably get's a ton of glare from all of those windows opposite of the TV, so pick your poison, I guess.

In either case I would put 2 sofa along the rug area (obviously keep the area in front of the fireplace open). I don't like entertainment centers, but it may work nicely here.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
the way the room is now, thet are ignoring two of the best features of the house--the fireplace and the windows. they are staring at a wall right now.
In addition to looking good, the room needs to function comfortably for TV viewing since this is where the family watches TV. The L shaped furniture arrangement will have two chairs or the sofa facing the fireplace. The windows will have to take a back seat but they can still be highlighted by not having the furniture completely against the wall.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:26 PM

838 posts, read 2,525,458 times
Not sure that my wife would go for the TV over the fireplace, the one we have downstairs is a 50" plasma. We really spend most TV time upstairs watching a larger TV. The kids watch the one downstairs the most, probably because it's closest to the food pantry and refrigerator!

Agree that the room has to function and be accessible. We'd like it to be a cozy place in the house and also be a nice welcome area for guests.

Thanks for the replies, appreciate the input. Hoping to get an interior designer over on Friday to get more ideas.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I am very bad with furniture placement unless I can actually move things around but I think a pallet grey, yellow and cream would look great in your room. You could incorporate Ikat and chevron patterns to keep it fresh and modern. I try to pick very neutral color/style in big ticket items and use the pattern and color in accessories like pillows. I love the look of roman shades on your style of window. They need not be functional if privacy or light is not an issue.
I agree. Put a little gray in there. Good palette would be yellow, gray, white or cream, and a touch of either blue or red. The rug in the living room is skimpy. I'd try to find a larger one.

With the warm yellow wall tones, I'd lean toward black, white, gray or ashy brown wood tones. You have warm walls and warm and vibrant floors. You need cooler tones in much of the other furnishings.

Overall I think your house is lovely.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I think if you can pull the trigger on TV watching only in the other room, it would solve a major dilema. Place the sofa facing the fireplace, buy two comfy chairs to flank the fireplace, facing the sofa, buy a nice ample coffee table. This would stage your livingroom around the intended focal point, and make it a room suited to conversation.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 AM

356 posts, read 371,321 times
Default Something like this?

In your case, I would put the TV in a different room and put a nice framed painting or mirror above the fireplace. In the photo below, I like how the sofa table is metal and glass, the coffee table is a leather ottoman, the end tables are wood, the couch is fabric and the chairs are rattan. Mixing materials and textures, gives it a much nicer look.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think if you can pull the trigger on TV watching only in the other room, it would solve a major dilema. Place the sofa facing the fireplace, buy two comfy chairs to flank the fireplace, facing the sofa, buy a nice ample coffee table. This would stage your livingroom around the intended focal point, and make it a room suited to conversation.
We have a sun room adjacent to the living room which is mainly a conversation/sitting room.

The living room/kitchen really is the central area of our house and I think a TV probably has to remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating